PDA

View Full Version : keepalive bait tanks

PeteK
05-14-2007, 11:43 AM
Does any1 have any experince with this brand of live wells? I can get the 30 gallon model from cabelas for free. I would mount it on the back of my NR seahawk 20 footer on the offshore bracket. Any and all comments are welcome . Thanks Pete

Luke
05-15-2007, 06:35 PM
If it is free give it a try!!

keciga1
05-15-2007, 06:56 PM
If you don't like it I'll gladly take it off your hands ;D

auman
05-15-2007, 08:00 PM
hello Pete

I think a 30 gal. is to big for a 20 ft seahawk..I have a 21 ft seahawk and my frend has a 20 ft . there is a big difference in the two boats ..I have a 14 gal. tank , a150 hp and yamaha 8 hp on the back deck . That takes up a lot of room. The 21 is 102 inches . All that water is going to weight alot.. Its also nice to have enough room left on the deck if you have to stand on it to do repairs or get line or crap out of your prop..

auman

PeteK
05-15-2007, 08:05 PM
hmm i guess i never really thought about the weight on the deck with water in it. Pretty dumb of me. The only thing i had read was get the bggest you could fit in any1 location. The main uses would obviously be for halibut fishing and when i try for lings with live bait. How does the 14 gallon one work out on your boat? Do you feel its enough for a days fishing?

donzitroller
05-16-2007, 07:00 AM
Pete, at just over 8 pounds per gallon you're talking about 250# sitting on your platform. On my old boat I used to keep my cooler on the swim deck and it was definitely noticeable. If you've got a kicker on the back you're adding even more weight. My bait tank is 26 gallons and happens to be on the same side as my kicker. Needless to say I list slightly to the starboard side.. all things to consider..

auman
05-16-2007, 08:58 AM
Hello Pete

well ill try this again..Dont know where I sent the first message.The northrivers are built a little better than alot of aluminum hulls..It also handles better than the 23 wellcraft i just sold. The hull comes all the way back to the end of the platform adds alot of boyency to the rear..Westmarine in Rancho has a large selection in stock where you could do a comparison..Could take your boat there and do a check. The first livewell I brought home was to big for my boat ..I took it back to westmarine.. The 14 gal is bigger than the one I had in the wellcraft and that one worked good .. well try to get picts..on sometimes.We had my 21 ft out 35 miles lookin for squid and it handles great.. Well have to run out for cod in a few weeks ..