PDA

View Full Version : What does one do with leopard sharks?

bluestar
08-26-2006, 08:21 PM
Seems like many folks go out targeting sharks. What do you do with them? Eat them?

jerdh71
08-26-2006, 08:28 PM
must be 36in too keep FYI We grilled it up once on a weekend when we were also grillin up trout. the dshark was so good I didnt even waste my time with any trout. BUT It must be prepared correctly. As soon as you ve landed it gut it and bleed it, this keeps it from smelling and tasting reel fishy. Also i ve been hearing is to soak it in milk to eliminate more fishy smells.

bluestar
08-26-2006, 08:59 PM
Do you clean sharks the same way you would with other fish? I heard sharks have thick skin...

MB_Kevin
08-26-2006, 09:51 PM
I throw them back but I hear if you bleed them when you catch them they are good. I might try it some day ;) If you do let me know what you think. Sometimes on party boats they will keep them.

MoMoney
08-27-2006, 03:01 AM
Do a search there are lots of shark cleaning post.Filet it.When you cut away the skin you have to cut under it deep enough to get off the red meat that is under the skin.have a sharpener near as shark skin his very hard on the knives.Soak in milk overnight,then rinse pat dry then freeze or prepare it.

blue_chrush
08-27-2006, 08:56 AM
grilled leapord shark is one the best kept secrets.....mmmmmmmmmm
I can't believe that so many people say its so/so....'
grilled with ginger,garlic,butter,honey,salt,pepper...
I never bleed them, but filleting I don't cut them open either...
I cut from the backs and use all the top meat, never the tummy
and fillet that and wash off, no milk, eat fresh, and grill them....
maybe its the grilling that lets the juice flow off all of you hate,???
I don't know, but there mmmmmmgoood...
I have caught them my whole life and eaten them while not
every week, and my health is good except for my glow in the dark
hair at night....lol
no, really I would trade salmon for shark, its that good.....

on filleting them, I cut out the red bloodline and skin and have
just the whole white meat left....wash and grill'em........

one of my sauces above.......
1/4 cup melted butter
lightly salt and pepper the fillet
add ginger powder to as you like...
honey from a squeeze bottle
you can also use
garlic..
fish seasonings
paprika
teriyaki

from the lightly gingered,salt,pepper, fillets
place on the grill and brush on the butter and add some honey
flip that one and do the back side so it can cook in....
should only take about 4/6mins a side, flip and
add more butter and honey.....
not much honey is required it goes along way......
serve hot
w/garlic bread, baked potato/oriental rice, vegetable is wish
and of course you favorite beverage.......

another overnight soak is Hawaiian based...
ginger * 1/4 tsp
teriyaki * 1/2 cup
brown * sugar 2/3 tbsp
honey *about 3/4 tbsp
pepper *1/4 tsp
mix this up as you like
soak over night and grill up the next day.....

vito
08-27-2006, 09:04 AM
Good smoked too!

bretmoua
08-27-2006, 10:27 AM
Let me get this straight....So once I catch a leopard of legal size, I'm to fillet it or slice it open to remove all the guts, while the shark is still alive? I don't know, but to me, that's kind of harsh on the poor shark. I mean I've never done that to any fish still alive. Eww....LOL

cptfishalot
08-27-2006, 12:07 PM
I throw them back..........Actually I have fun fighting them and I wear them out real good and get my pliers and pull the hook out and let them go....No even bringing them in the vessel.........
They are good fighters and I usually hook them as I'm targeting other species......

Intimidator
08-27-2006, 02:37 PM
Let them go.
Carma will get you...........

mike22ca
08-27-2006, 02:43 PM
I dunno man....we tried the whole shibang cleaning them asap, cleaning them, skinning them, soaking in milk and I just cant get passed the horrific smell of them. They are EXCELLENT FIGHTERS, from now on me and Tattoofish just throw them back to live another day.

cptfishalot
08-27-2006, 04:56 PM
That's how I feel.........

Mo_Fish
08-27-2006, 06:38 PM
;) Throw um back for me

blue_chrush
08-27-2006, 07:16 PM
on the cleaning and filleting
the fish is dead,......OK
then the cut starts at the head and down the spine
on the both sides, its just you don't cut through to
the stomach area....as you fillet away the backs
then you pull the meat out and cut it free before
you enter the stomach cavity.....
that way the smell and stomach acids don't get
on the meat and the fillets never get
stomach acid, urine and other stuff on them....

but I gotta agree with all of you,
if I were you I would just throw them back.....
its not worth the effort........
and you will feel better too.....

kromebrite
08-27-2006, 07:17 PM
Let me get this straight....So once I catch a leopard of legal size, I'm to fillet it or slice it open to remove all the guts, while the shark is still alive? *I don't know, but to me, that's kind of harsh on the poor shark. *I mean I've never done that to any fish still alive. *Eww....LOL
No, hit them over the noggin with the "persuader" until it's lights out, then process.

Side note: we are entering leopard shark baby time. the big females will be coming in to lay the pups. If you cut one open you will see s scad of little 3" babies that will not live long. Males have two big things sticking out down by the butt, keep if you'd like but please throw the *mamas back.

snoose
08-29-2006, 02:30 AM
We fished for leopards and sand sharks in the oakland estuary as kids back in the 50's. They do make the best fish chowder.

marnilr
08-29-2006, 07:56 PM
Our 7 year old LOVES to eat leopard shark. She actually gets mad at us when we throw one back. She likes it breaded like fish and chips. Last year I caught her eating the cold leftovers with ketchup... yuck... but she loves it!

doneli
08-29-2006, 08:27 PM
i fry them as marnilr does and you know what? they are deliciuos :P they make great fish tacos with hot salsa and corona beer ;) you guys have to try them.... the key is to gut and bleed them as soon as possible........good luck.
-doneli-

kromebrite
08-29-2006, 09:20 PM
I was just thinking how good they would be for fish tacos!
Also try a pat of butter on top of a filet, garlic, onion and maybe a dash of lemon pepper then wrapped in foil and put on the grill until flaky.
I hear that apiece of bacon on top is good.

So, am I going to see more competition on the water now? ;D

gmdcdvm
08-30-2006, 01:47 AM
I actually tried leopard shark for the first time this spring. I was on a pot luck boat, and managed to pull in two sharks along with some halibut. I had heard about them, but had never tried them out so I figured why not give it a chance. On the boat they immediately cut the gills to let them bleed out, and then they kept them in the bait tank. Supposedly this is to promote any urea excretion thats left over. They filleted them on the boat, and I was told to remove all dark meat before eating. They also mentioned soaking them in milk.

I did all of this, and I prepared them several ways: battered and fried, on the grill, pan fried, and in the oven. Overall they tasted pretty good, but in my opinioni was not worth the effort. Besides, when you think about it they are more of a top level predator and I can only imagine what kind of stuff has built up in their bodies.

I don't plan on keeping anymore in the future.

guycognito
08-30-2006, 10:01 AM
According to the DFG, "Because of elevated levels of mercury, PCBs, and other chemicals [...] Women who are pregnant or who may become pregnant, nursing mothers, and children should not eat more than one meal of fish per month. In addition, they should not eat any striped bass over 27 inches or any shark [in the SF Bay and Delta region]."

That warning is at the bottom of this useful regs webpage -->
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/Mrd/mapregs6.html

BTW, deep frying and grilling are great methods of cooking up shark because they add strong flavors that overpower any "stink" left in the meat. My roommates love battered and fried shark.

mike22ca
08-30-2006, 10:09 AM
Yea I have tried several ways of cleaning them and all that but you cant seem to get rid of that smell. I've had shark before and its great, even leopard actually. I just dont know what they do to get by that funk lol

*Deltadog*
05-14-2007, 11:48 AM
I use 2 parts white vinegar to 1 part water to soak them in. Forget the milk!! Put them in a vinegar bath for about 2 hours, rinse, and you are ready to grill or deep fry.
Dog

fish_hunter
05-14-2007, 12:06 PM
Garlic Vinegar works great. Like DeltaDog said, you must soak them for a while. I usually soak them for 30 minutes and it works, but the longer the better to rid of the smell.