PDA

View Full Version : Question on my marine radio???

g-town_fisher
11-22-2011, 07:40 PM
I have a uniden marine radio with 25w/ 1w option. my problem is when i am in the 25w mode my fishfinder and marine radio say "low battery" when i try to call out ( which is unsuccessful). if i am in 1 watt mode everything works great. i bought a new battery but still does the same thing. does anyone have any information to this frustrating problem? thank you fishsniffers.

Theb55
11-22-2011, 10:08 PM
Interesting. When you are on high power you get a warning. I would have the radio checked out. I would also try to determine everything drawing power on that line. Since this shows up instantly that would indicate something is immediately drawing more voltage than your alternator can deal with

CRABBY
11-23-2011, 05:22 AM
The first thing to ck.are your ground connections,not just at/on the batt.but at the fuse block,radio etc.also ck.the inline fuse on the radio for corrosion,look for any type of corrosion or just clean all till nice an shiney....Don

AnglingWes
11-23-2011, 06:30 AM
Sounds like a ground issue to me too. Start at the fuse box or distribution center. I bet you find green stuff on the wires.

Fishbucket
11-23-2011, 07:50 AM
dont forget to add some die-electric grease when you re-connect.

AngelosPop
11-23-2011, 09:04 AM
Sounds like a bad connection or wire somewhere in there.

How I'd troubleshoot it:

Use a volt meter. Check every connection with your wires. Start at the battery and work your way up to the radio. Key the mic on 25w each time. When the voltage drops you will know you have a bad connection/wire in between the bad point and the last good point.

g-town_fisher
11-23-2011, 08:53 PM
thank you for the suggestions. never even thought of a bad ground. i will try that when i get back from amador friday. thanx again.