PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving Crab Bodega Bay

Bakkie
11-29-2011, 07:20 PM
Went up to Bodega for a Thanksgiving camping trip with my buddy and his family. Got there late Thursday so we set my 6 pots Friday morning in 210'-220' off of Bird Rock. On the way out my Mercury overheated about 6 times, kept having to stop and fast idle to cool it down, but we got all our gear set and made it back in. After placing the last pot we went and pulled the first one and it already had 5 in it, 4 were legal. We went to Santa Rosa to get a new impeller for my water pump and had to deal with "Black Friday" traffic for about an hour. While trying to drop my lower unit to fix the water pump it was stuck so I tried persuading it with a rubber hammer but it wouldn't come so I mollywopped it and broke a corner off of the cavitation plate before realizing I forgot 2 nuts underneath it. Got the water pump fixed and went to pull gear Friday evening, we could only find 2 buoys because it was getting dark and the others might have been sucked under. Those 2 had 38 in them. Went back out Saturday morning at high tide to pull the rest of my gear, on the first pot my buddy threw my grapple hook in the ocean without holding onto the end of the line so it sank and we had to circle that buoy 3-4 times to hook it with the gaff. Finally got it and the first pot had 14, second had 21, we took 5 out of the third for 4 limits and dumped the rest over. We stopped at the boat shop on the way home and they wanted $300 to fix the motor so I called my buddy and he said an 18 pack of Coors Light would do it. I had him TIG weld the corner back on and paint it, now it's good as new. Ocean was 10' at 15 Friday and 9' at 16 Sat.

Fishbucket
11-29-2011, 07:58 PM
my buddy threw my grapple hook in the ocean .

:grin:

Glad you got crabs...anyway

HOOKED FISHIN
01-09-2012, 12:44 PM
man chris you ever going crabbing without any problem. i remember when we were out in hmb and almost died. no thanks to the harbor patrol that needs more training. lol