PDA

View Full Version : Dog Day at Del Valle

KlamathJack
12-04-2011, 01:33 PM
Decided yo make the 40 mile trek to DV on Saturday and arrived at 6:15 to find line of cars waiting to get in. I checked the ebpark website and it stated the park was open at 6 welllll this is not true. The gate behind the entrance does not open until 7. By the time they opened the gate there was a line of cars about a 1/4 mile long up the hill with lots of unhappy fisherman. I ended up getting what I thought was a great spot, on the beach towards the point to the left of the marina. This guy I work with was there last weekend and said he saw a lot of fish being caught there. Ended up staying there till about 930 without a nibble. I did not see one fish landed on the beach the entire time I was there. So I decided to pack up my stuff and try down by the narrows. Got to the narrows about 10 and stayed till 12 without any bites and again did not see any fish caught. Tough day for me great day for the pup who got to swim and fetch sticks all day since I didn't have anything else to do. Thinking I won't be making the 40 mile drive anytime soon and stick to Quarry 15 min away.

RideNfish
12-04-2011, 02:05 PM
Sorry to hear that it didn't work out for you. I went there 11-19 and did real well. Sounds like you fished about where I did on the beach. I had no trouble getting in around 6 so don't know if they changed hours now.

In case you didn't see it, here is my report on using wooly buggers there (http://www.fishsniffer.com/trout-board/93674-del-valle-nov-19-yes-pics-2.html#post842310). Maybe it will help sometime. But as we know, it just could of been a dead bite this week.

Thanks for posting,

Cheers,

schatgun
12-04-2011, 04:14 PM
K-Jack sorry to hear about the poor fishing.... However, it's those lousy days that make you truly appreciate the good ones.... Without the bad we wouldn't be able to differentiate the good.... Besides, that's why they call it fishing not catching, right?

Del Valle is a moody lake.....she's either very friendly and generous or a cranky ol' hag :oldangryman:....I've had some incredibly good days there as well as incredibly miserable ones....

Hopefully the future includes some incredibly good days of fishing.....See you on the water

Old_School
12-04-2011, 04:15 PM
Del Valle opens at six except for dec and Jan where it opens at 7. Same schedule for years. On Feb 1st it will open at 6 again. Del Valle never changes, hot one day cold the next. Thanks for the report and better luck next time.

trollingplate
12-04-2011, 08:02 PM
Ditto for Me Saturday...

Was approx 100 yards north of the East Beach Point ( that Doug - RideNfish) mentioned..).. got there at 0730 and left at 1000.
Windy. Water-Bobber, Wolly Buggers, Flys, Rapala.. Nada Nada.. and Nada all left of me
300 yards on the bank. To the right, closer to the Marina, two guys got some small ones on PB
on rod-holders.

Doug, action was 1/50th of when you and your dad were there.. really windy.

Klamath Jack let me know when you are next going there. My wife and I may camp there between Christmas
and NewYears for a couple nights in the full hook-ups campsites ( these are new and awesome!) for trailers..

gary

FoldCat81
12-04-2011, 08:35 PM
If it makes you feel better, I was at Quarry today and it was the same. I only saw 1 fish pulled out and it was someone in a float tube......:skunk29gc: .......

KlamathJack
12-05-2011, 10:38 AM
Appreciate all the feedback guys. RideNfish saw your post and ya ive been using that method with a bubble and a fly for a long time esp in the high sierra lakes, Ive even put a white crappie jig under a bubble and had great success. I have never had a banner day at DV, but all it takes is one to keep you coming back for more. Im on fishing hiatus until christmas break when Ill be back at the bay area lakes with revenge on my mind till then hook em'