PDA

View Full Version : What are the Best Qualities in a Trout Fishing Rod for Shore?

TroutGhost
12-05-2011, 02:48 AM
Strictly limited to bank fishing, why did you select your poles? What qualities make you prefer those trout fishing rods?

Depends on the body of water?

Casting distance?

Sensitivity?

Backbone?

Price?

Jfitalia
12-05-2011, 05:23 AM
lure or bait rod?

Marv
12-05-2011, 08:11 AM
[QUOTE=TroutGhost;843963]Strictly limited to bank fishing, why did you select your poles? What qualities make you prefer those trout fishing rods?

Depends on the body? Not really.

Casting distance? Sometimes, most of the time the trout are 10-20' out.

Sensitivity? Very important on a lure/micro-jig. Not as much of an issuse if just plunkin' bait and set rod in holder.

Backbone? Look for a rod with a parabolic bend, i use 2lb' test, backbone is good but i let the whole rod fight the fish.

Price? Get the best you can afford. More money doesn't equal better.

For a bait plunker check out the new Berkley Powerbait rod.

For a lure/micro-jig rod the Fennwick elite river tech is a bad mamma jamma. hope this helps.

SuckerPunch
12-05-2011, 08:43 AM
I'm assuming we're talking about your average trout running 10 - 16 inches; if we're talking big brownies and lakers, that's a whole different ballgame.

Water body? I've two ultralights that I use, and I tend to prefer my longer one - which isn't that long (6 foot) - for lakes and reservoirs. It's not to get more distance from a cast - I agree with Bassboy that most of the time trout are not that far off the bank - it's to keep the leader off the ground for bait rigs and certain float rigs while casting. I've a 4-1/2' little Fenwick that I prefer for stream fishing since (1) it's much easier to cast with when you're surrounded by brush and trees and (2) there's not much rod to spook trout with when casting compared to longer rods. If I'm drifting nymphs in streams with spinning gear, I do prefer the longer rod since it mends line better for a drag-free drift.

Casting distance? The 4-1/2 throws just as well as the 6, though I really don't care too much about casting distance. THE biggest mistake I see trout guys doing is wading into water and bombing out a cast as far as they can when the trout were right at their feet.

Sensitivity? Fairly important if free-lining jigs or fluttering spoons, but, compared to bass, sensitivity is less important.

Backbone? The 6 footer is kind of a noodle rod, but the 4-1/2 is a broomstick as far as ultralights go. I tend to like ultralights that are a little overpowered for spoons and jigs for setting the hook, hence the meaty 4-1/2; that rod also shines as a light wormin' rod for bass.

Price? Quality only depends slightly on price. I've seen some "cheap" rods that fished just as well or better than rods that cost double the amount. Like Bassboy said, it also depends on the type of fishing you're doing - if you're just plunking bait, you really don't need anything fancy. However, if you are going to be slinging jigs for wild brownies at Sierra lakes or something similar that takes a bit more skill, putting down a bit more change is probably worth it. Generally, once you exceed $100 for a rod, the more you get from a rod really decreases with the bucks you spend. For example, to me there's virtually no difference in fish-ability between a St. Croix Avid and Legend Elite, despite a more than $100 spread between the two models (I fish Legend Elites now, but only because they are stronger - I kept breaking Avids while my Elites have been beat up pretty bad before and are still rockin').

TroutGhost
12-05-2011, 09:52 AM
lure or bait rod?

Either/or. I fish in a variety of circumstances. I'm interested in hearing the reasons why you may prefer the rod you use. I consider myself a newb to shore fishing and feel there is more to learn. So far some really good responses, thanks! :)

Jfitalia
12-05-2011, 10:49 AM
Either/or. I fish in a variety of circumstances. I'm interested in hearing the reasons why you may prefer the rod you use. I consider myself a newb to shore fishing and feel there is more to learn. So far some really good responses, thanks! :)

Well no matter which way you fish a 6'6" should be the shortest you go with a 7ft or 7'6" being the ideal rods for tossing lures. As for sensitivity I would go with a fast action rod, which means it has a soft tip and then quickly transitions into backbone. This will allow for longer and more accurate casts because your rod will not be shaking after you cast your lure or bait. I always prefer to have very sensitive rods while tossing lures so that I can feel the fish hit my lure. As for line rating it just changes with each rod company. Some make a great 4-8lb test rod while others are to stiff so I have to drop down to their 2-6lb rating. Hope this helps

Blood Vessel
12-05-2011, 10:50 AM
For me its 2 things: Balance & Mojo.

Rod selection is important but matching the right reel to the rod is more critical in my eyes. Many times people select a reel that is too large for an ultra light or vice versa with medium heavy action rods. A good balanced rod/reel with the CORRECT lb test can be used for multiple set ups.

The 2nd is Mojo. I've had expensive set ups that work great but don't catch fish for sh*t. My best rod is a 4'6" ultra light that I bought from a guy for 15 bucks 17 years ago. Its beat, looks crappy but is one fish catchin SOB. When all else fails I'll grab that rod & it always comes thru. Some Rods are just seem to be luckier than others.

But I'm also that guy that brings 8 rods every where he goes & enough tackle to start my own bait shop.

fusionstar916
12-05-2011, 11:58 AM
For planters, I use a 7ft light kokanee spinning rod. Reel Stradic FI 1000, 4lb izorline xxx. Its a moderate action and tosses 1/8oz kastmasters like a boss and the soft long tip allows ample time for the trout to swallow baits. Not the most sensitive rod but sure isnt the worst.

Bigg A
12-05-2011, 01:45 PM
4lb izorline xxx.

Did you find this locally or ordered it?

Fishhound1
12-05-2011, 04:41 PM
BV said it best some rods r luckier than others. So good advice BV take 8 and if one aint working try another

BIG_ONE
12-05-2011, 07:38 PM
The only rod I can think of that fits in all of that category...5' UL Ugly Stik Lite...

Jfitalia
12-05-2011, 07:49 PM
The only rod I can think of that fits in all of that category...5' UL Ugly Stik Lite...

How do you figure??? They have no sensitivity what so ever

BIG_ONE
12-05-2011, 08:20 PM
How do you figure??? They have no sensitivity what so ever

Maybe in your hands they have no sensitivity, I catch plenty of trout on that rod with 6lbs CX premium. Including some of the slightest crappie bite while tossing a jig out there and letting them free fall. Hell - you can feel the bite of a 5" crappie letting your jig free fall on stick. It all falls under what your really doing that makes a difference between feeling that slightest bite of a fish and catching the fish itself.

fusionstar916
12-06-2011, 01:39 AM
Did you find this locally or ordered it?
You can actually find it at times at big 5 of all places, Although they carry the izorline first string more often then the xxx. I ordered mines from izorlineeast directly.

Izorline Paypal Order Form (http://www.izorlineeast.com/IzorlinePaypalOrder.htm) These guys were fast and I received my lines within the work week.

Bigg A
12-06-2011, 03:15 AM
You can actually find it at times at big 5 of all places, Although they carry the izorline first string more often then the xxx. I ordered mines from izorlineeast directly.

Izorline Paypal Order Form (http://www.izorlineeast.com/IzorlinePaypalOrder.htm) These guys were fast and I received my lines within the work week.

I get the izorline platinum from big 5 all the time but I never seen the xxx....always seen the first string...tried it but it wasn't strong like the platinum. Thanks for the link!!

TAZMAN64
12-06-2011, 03:41 AM
I think it depends on the fisherman, Some are more compfortable with short rods vs long, light vs ul, med. For my self the perfect rod is G.Loomis tsr in light action 7ft paired with a shimano c-14 it has everything you would want in a trout rod from shore, atleast it does for me. Very sensitive, long casting, fast!!!

SuckerPunch
12-08-2011, 09:00 AM
I think it depends on the fisherman, Some are more compfortable with short rods vs long, light vs ul, med. For my self the perfect rod is G.Loomis tsr in light action 7ft paired with a shimano c-14 it has everything you would want in a trout rod from shore, atleast it does for me. Very sensitive, long casting, fast!!!

This is the best advice on here. No two people are exactly alike, and, likewise, the perfect trout rod for each guy is gonna be a little bit different. For example, in the case of the "sensitivity" issue, it depends for each guy - some are more "feelers," to where they're really tuned into the vibrations of the rod, while others are "lookers" who are more line or rod tip watchers.

Fishbucket
12-08-2011, 10:49 AM
This is the Rod I use for trout fishing the bank. I have two of them.
Both fit on the sides of my Fishing backpack.
Along with a couple matching shimano reels, they work out great. I have another Shimano rod that i use for throwing kastmaster and spinners with that I bring along. Sorry, i dont have the numbers of it right now.

https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/248/9086/10h/origin-d4.scene7.com/is/image/GanderMountainOvertons/437161_L1?$product$

http://www.fishsniffer.com/null
x:0 y:0

100 / 180 %

https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/248/9086/10h/origin-d4.scene7.com/is/image/GanderMountainOvertons/437161_L1?$product$

http://www.fishsniffer.com/ganderviewer/images/cursors/nop.gif
http://www.fishsniffer.com/ganderviewer/images/cursors/nop.gif (http://www.fishsniffer.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?r=img_up&i=437161&from=grid)

Eagle Claw Trailmaster Spinning Pack Rods, 6'6", MediumItem # 437161

In Stock

$49.99

Web Price Only

Lightweight and durable enough for a lifetime of use, the Trailmaster's IM-7 Complex Composite blank construction provides incredible performance.

Lightweight and durable for a lifetime of use
IM-7 complex composite blank construction
Engraved bronze reel seats
Contoured cork handles with rubber cork foregrips
Solid, screw-in hardware for secure connection