PDA

View Full Version : Our day trip is planned.....help us prep?

BeefCakeScout
12-05-2011, 02:05 PM
A buddy from the unit (Roseville_fisher) and I are gonna make a day trip for trout on the South fork AR next friday when we both "get sick". The plan is to park a vehicle at lotus park, and drive the other up to Coloma then hike back, fishing the whole way. I have trout pattern plugs,spinners,k-masters,jigs,eggs,and crawlers. Basically, all the stuff I have seen you trout guys use. Now the rub. He knows how to fish for river trout, but we don't know the area. We are flexible Sooooooooo.......

Should we modify the plans for a different area?

Any colors we should have more of(regarding lures)?

Any lures/bait we would have better luck with than others?

I have never caught a brown, so that would be cool too. We all know my background, so i'm coming to you guys for REAL advice that doesn't involve rainbow powerbait.

Marv
12-05-2011, 02:47 PM
Sounds like you pretty much have it. Gold Kastmasters, white or bubblegum tubes/jigs, rainbow or brook trout pattered lures. I've never fished for river/stream trout, i've only caught stocked lake trout (so im a newb that doesn't really know jack about wild trout).

In every artical i've ever read about fishing serria rivers, almost everyone mentions a PANTER MARTIN YELLOW BODY WITH RED DOTS SPINNER. I would also google any bait shops in the area and simply ask for the skinny. Good luck, hope you slay a brown or too as well :)

dirty530
12-05-2011, 04:08 PM
i wouldn't go to the s.f. american. the flows are too high to fish effectively due to the past storms. everybody's been having success fishing foothill lakes, i'd give one of em a try.

fyi, only things you'll need for fishing rivers:
kastmasters (1/12-1/4) in both gold and chrome.
spinners (blue foxes or p. martins, in sizes 1/8-1/4) in gold, silver, and black.
lucky craft pointer sp50 and sp65 in rainbow
woolybuggers in black, brown, and olive green

if you do decide to fish the south fork, take pics of any fish caught. i will be VERY impressed if you catch anything now til when the flows die down in late May/June.

good luck!

BeefCakeScout
12-05-2011, 05:40 PM
Dirty.....I was about to PM you for more advice! Is it really THAT bad? Are there any other moving bodies of water worth hitting?