PDA

View Full Version : Red Hot Folsom Trout Action!!!!!!

Cal.Kellogg
12-12-2011, 03:03 PM
I headed out to Folsom Lake on December 11. My wife Gena and I joined our friends Jim and Mary Ann. We spent the day trolling from Jim's Fishrite. We had an excellent day landing a bunch of planter and holdover rainbows. Our smallest fish went about 13 inches and our largest were in the 16 to 17 inch class. The holdovers fought hard and did a lot of jumping!!!

Check out the video I put together about the trip and you can see where we were fishing and all the particulars about our rigs....While you are there, please subscribe to my YouTube Channel...It's free.....Thanks Cal

Here's that link...

Folsom Lake Holdover Rainbows.m4v (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvZKyFHYduY&list=UUIRgNZikvXfDX1DoO6BWduw&feature=plcp)

troutsavvy
12-12-2011, 04:04 PM
Were you guys on the downriggers or toplining? Depths/lures?

Thanks

Cal.Kellogg
12-12-2011, 04:14 PM
I caught a couple rainbows on a blue and silver small size Excel on three colors of leadcore, so those fish must have been near 15 feet. When it became clear that the worm was the hot ticket. We ran a set of Vance's Slim Willies 100 feet back (toplined) in the center of the boat, We figured that would run at 12 feet. On the on one corner we toplined a Sep's Strike Master 125 feet back, we figured that ran 10 feet deep. On the other corner we ran a Sep's Side Kick 110 feet back (toplined). We figured that would run about 6 feet deep or so...

The first fish was on a downrigger first thing in the morning...The lure was a chrome and blue Speedy Shiner and we were trolling at 2.8....With the blades we were working 1.8 to 2.0....

When they come nipping, don't touch the rod....Let that worm seduce them. They almost always come back for second and third nips and they usually end up hooked pretty well!!!

troutsavvy
12-12-2011, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the info. I will give it a try this week if I can stay away from Amador long enough!

Fishbucket
12-12-2011, 04:43 PM
Nice ! Way to Go ! Congrats..

Hope the fishing holds out thru till Jan... When we get back from N.C.

CRESTLINER 08
12-12-2011, 09:34 PM
nice video and info,thanks....

Bloodthirsty
12-14-2011, 12:12 PM
Fished Folsom yesterday with some friends. 7 trout in the boat and a few didnt make it in. We fished north and south fork, plus moron dam for a bit. All in all, great day fishing. Great weather. Great friends. No real pattern......on lures....a worm or tip seemed to be the best. All fish 30' to surface. Keep the videos coming Cal.

TAZMAN64
12-14-2011, 12:36 PM
Another awesome video!!! Thanks for taking the time to do these videos and for the info on another great lake. Steve

Cal.Kellogg
12-14-2011, 03:03 PM
Thanks for the kind words guys....Get out there after those trout while you can...The bite is really good at most lakes....Cal