PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Lose a Rod?

SCooper
04-25-2007, 09:39 AM
I guess there is a first for everything.... *I was out on the Bay this last Saturday with some friends drifting and trolling for Halibut and Striper without a ton of luck (couple small ones that we threw back). * We moved spots to the Rockwall to see if things would change. *One of the guys on our boat felt a bite and started reeling in. *Much to our dismay what he actually hooked was a rod and reel that was most likely resting on the bottom of the Bay. *As we brought it up to the boat and made cracks at the guy who pulled it in(first pic below), he soon noticed that there was something attached to the other end of the line of the rod that he pulled in. *So, he started reeling from the rod he just caught and brought in a pretty good sized Leopard Shark that was alive and kicking (2nd pic below). *From the looks of the mouth on the Leopard, the hook had been in its mouth for quite some time. Pretty amazing.

So, he basically caught a rod with Leopard attached to it...very funny. *If any of you had a rod that got yanked from your boat that looks like the white one in the picture, I have it for you.

http://img75.imageshack.us/img75/131/sansharkst2.jpg
http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/5524/samshark2wo0.jpg

sunracer1957
04-25-2007, 10:48 AM
How often does that happen???

Two years ago while trolling the Sac for Salmon a bud of mine snagged a line ( no rod connected ) while he was hand lining the snagged line it started pulling back! here on the other end was a fairly good sized Salmon that came out of the water and started to make a die hard run. It was everything my bud could do to get the line out of his hands before it cut into him...RD

slick88
04-25-2007, 12:20 PM
Maybe it was from the California Dawn. This was posted on usafishing.com:

James Smith on the Cal Dawn started Friday 4-20 morning off trolling for halibut at South Hampton and the Berkley flats. James said they had lots of bait and green water with good visibility but never got a single bite for three hours of effort. He ran down to the South bay late in the morning and saved the day with his five anglers landing 15 leopards and 2 seven-gill sharks to 25 pounds losing one seven-gill at the boat that was five feet long and about 50 pounds just out of gaff reach. One rent rod literally sailed off the boat with a big shark attached. The rod was left with it's butt on the deck and was not in a rod holder and James said when it "released" it was close to ten feet in the air and first looked like a missile and then a ski.

I guess there is a first for everything.... *I was out on the Bay this last Saturday with some friends drifting and trolling for Halibut and Striper without a ton of luck (couple small ones that we threw back). * We moved spots to the Rockwall to see if things would change. *One of the guys on our boat felt a bite and started reeling in. *Much to our dismay what he actually hooked was a rod and reel that was most likely resting on the bottom of the Bay. *As we brought it up to the boat and made cracks at the guy who pulled it in(first pic below), he soon noticed that there was something attached to the other end of the line of the rod that he pulled in. *So, he started reeling from the rod he just caught and brought in a pretty good sized Leopard Shark that was alive and kicking (2nd pic below). *From the looks of the mouth on the Leopard, the hook had been in its mouth for quite some time. Pretty amazing.

So, he basically caught a rod with Leopard attached to it...very funny. *If any of you had a rod that got yanked from your boat that looks like the white one in the picture, I have it for you.

http://img75.imageshack.us/img75/131/sansharkst2.jpg
http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/5524/samshark2wo0.jpg

SOUTH_BAY_FISHER
04-26-2007, 11:48 AM
i think that's funny. but way to go man makes a great story for the bar.

ZACK
04-26-2007, 01:14 PM
Happened to me around 18 years ago at the Berkeley Pier while fishing with my wife. I was talking to some old dude around 30 feet away who was giving me some live shiners when my wife started yelling "Honey You Got A Bite"! I told her "I know, I know" and kept talking to the old dude due to she is from Utah and had only fished fresh water and was not used to salt water back then when the waves roll on our lines she used to always think we were getting bit. Anyhow she really started yelling for me and I turned kind of irratated and gave her a "WHAT"! when behind her I could see my rod was now teater totting on the rail of the pier and I sprinted over to it just in time to see it go bump, bump, bump with my guids bumping over the rail and straight into the water! :o

Man, I was pissed at myself. I learned to always triple check the clicker after that!!! After things died down I began to feel sorry for the fish toating my pole around.... :-/

Did your buddy let that poor shark go? I think he deserved to be released after fighting the good fight and winning. At least on that day. *;D
ZACK!

tracy-ed
04-26-2007, 02:51 PM
I wonder if DF&G would consider that a violation.....fishing in the bay is restricted to one rod per person and technically..... ;D ;D ;D ;D

I'm just joking, but with some of these new, young, urbanized Wardens, I guess you'll never know until the roll up on you :-/ I'd take the citation just so I could tell the story in to a judge 8-).

EastBayAngler
04-26-2007, 06:52 PM
:-? :-? :-? :-? :-?I dont think that was a foul hook, because he caught it with a rod and reel..

Well kinda ;) Cool story for sure. I once caught a cat litter box...And the funny thing was that I was cat fishing!!! ;D ;D ;D

STURIPER
04-26-2007, 07:32 PM
NOW THATS THE STORY OF THE MONTH!! ;)

SCooper
05-05-2007, 07:18 PM
Yeah, we let the shark go. Its mouth had rust in it from the hook...i figure we did it a huge favor.

ZACK
05-05-2007, 10:01 PM
Yeah, we let the shark go. *Its mouth had rust in it from the hook...i figure we did it a huge favor.

Ahhh,
a happy ending. That shark sure must have suffered enough already.
Nice job. ZACK!