PDA

View Full Version : What's goin' down in Humboldt???

office_pirate79
04-27-2007, 04:31 PM
Jan...HSU...anybody!!! I'll be up doing some fishing on Memorial Day weekend and wanted to get some reports. Our options so far are 1) Fishing from step dad's boat in the bay 2) Perch'n behind the power plant or 3) Booking a charter. I'd like to book a charter, but I don't know what's running up there right now. I was thinking it might be a little early for salmon and I don't know if/when shallow water rockfishing (out of Trinidad) will begin. Looking forward to your thoughts ;)

Jan_from_Humboldt
04-27-2007, 06:21 PM
Been off and on pretty lumpy here like 14-16 feet, I'm ready to go out but there isn't much open yet I can fish out of the boat.

Rumor has it the halibut are in the bay along with the bait but the north wind has been blowing 20-25 and that makes it snotty fishing even in the bay...Yeah, yeah I know excuses excuses. ;D But I am going to go out soon for a pre season shake down run and I'll take a pole or two alonf and try some plastics and see if I can snag some bait.

Give Captain Ron a call at the Ocean Grove lodge up in Trinidad.

He's got a nice boat and does charters.

Check out his website.

http://members.cox.net/oceangrove/
Ocean Grove Lodge
P.O. Box 873
480 Patricks Point Drive
Trinidad, CA 95570
E-Mail oceangrove@cox.net
Motel (707) 677-3543
Restaurant (707) 677-0394
Cocktail Lounge (707) 677-3543

OR>>>
get in touch with the marina and see if Phill Glenn on the shellback is running

Woodley Island Marina
601 Startare Drive
P.O. Box 1030
Eureka, CA 95502-1030

(707) 443-0801

I think he books trips out of the Ships Chandlery.

tarbuckle
04-28-2007, 10:19 PM
Got Skunked the other day night fishing for Sharks/Rays. Still, good times doing it with good friends.
Slow at the plant. Weather might be factor.

People getting excited about the rock fish opener followed by the Salmon opener.

I've heared good things about Full Throttle

HSUSteelie
04-29-2007, 11:03 AM
I haven't heard much either. You can keep lings if you are fishing from shore, so if you are up for some hiking, there are some good spots North of Trinidad.

As far as Charters go, check into some of the boats out of Trinidad, they can fish the rougher stuff since they don't have to mess with getting over the bar. I have fished with Tom from Trinidad bay charters (http://members.cox.net/crab/) and had a good day for rockies, lings, and crabs.

The sharks are starting to show, some friends of mine were out recently and did ok off the old railroad bridge in Manila where Mad River Sough comes into the bay.

tarbuckle
04-29-2007, 04:41 PM
I haven't heard much either. You can keep lings if you are fishing from shore, so if you are up for some hiking, there are some good spots North of Trinidad.

As far as Charters go, check into some of the boats out of Trinidad, they can fish the rougher stuff since they don't have to mess with getting over the bar. I have fished with Tom from Trinidad bay charters (http://members.cox.net/crab/) and had a good day for rockies, lings, and crabs.

The sharks are starting to show, some friends of mine were out recently and did ok off the old railroad bridge in Manila where Mad River Sough comes into the bay.

I figured they were hitting somewhere. From the reports about S.F. bay I thought they must be starting to show here also.

We were thinking about heading out that way for sharks. Instead we tried king salmon then headed over to commercial. It was neat watching the trawlers unload.

My bud reports their still stocking Freshwater.

office_pirate79
04-30-2007, 09:12 AM
Thanks everyone! I knew I could count on you guys :) We'll definitely check all of that stuff out. We were up this weekend for my daughter's b-day. I asked her what she wanted to do and she said she wanted to go to Ferndale to see her Grandma & Papa. You don't have to tell me twice!

Didn't plan on doing any fishing, but step dad had the itch so we headed to the PG&E plant. Nailed 13 perch...nothing of any size, so we threw them all back. It sure was a lot of fun though! They were all over the shrimp like white on rice! I had a triple hook setup and all three hooks would be cleaned just seconds after hitting the water. Hooked up 3 doubles. That's always disappointing because it feels like one big fish, but come to find out that it's two little guys. It was good times nonetheless.

When's the rock fish opener?

tarbuckle
04-30-2007, 09:46 AM
TUESDAY May 1st. for boat Anglers

Jan_from_Humboldt
04-30-2007, 08:02 PM
Yeahbut... ;D

Tonight: Increasing clouds, with a low around 43. North northwest wind between 3 and 9 mph.

Tuesday: Rain likely. Cloudy, with a high near 55. North wind at 8 mph becoming south. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

Tuesday Night: Showers likely. Cloudy, with a low around 43. South southwest wind between 8 and 15 mph, with gusts as high as 18 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

Wednesday: Showers likely. Cloudy, with a high near 53. Southwest wind between 8 and 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

Wednesday Night: A 50 percent chance of showers. Cloudy, with a low around 43. Southwest wind between 7 and 10 mph.

Thursday: Rain likely. Cloudy, with a high near 52. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Thursday Night: Rain likely. Cloudy, with a low around 42. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

Friday: A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 55.

tarbuckle
05-01-2007, 06:39 AM
And this :( :

PZZ450-470-011600- /O.NEW.KEKA.SI.Y.0038.070502T0100Z-070502T1300Z/ PT ST GEORGE TO CAPE MENDOCINO OUT 20 NM- PT ST GEORGE TO CAPE MENDOCINO 20 TO 60 NM- 203 AM PDT TUE MAY 1 2007 ...SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY FOR WINDS IN EFFECT FROM THIS EVENING THROUGH LATE TONIGHT...

Although the swells look like there finally calming down

Jan_from_Humboldt
05-01-2007, 07:29 AM
It's going to be lumpy for a while, the North Pacific hasn't settled down yet, but it is showing signs of trying to get out of the winter pattern.

http://www.lajollasurf.org/images/pacanimne.gif

Here's another weather link courtsey of the Navy...

https://www.fnmoc.navy.mil/CGI/ww3_loop.cgi?color=b&area=npac&prod=swl_wav_ht

LuLu22
05-02-2007, 05:13 PM
Great weather map!