PDA

View Full Version : Any rockcod opener reports

scfisher831
05-01-2007, 05:21 PM
Any boby fish rock cod today as it the opening of May 1st out of SC or Montery?Had to work today and missed the rockies opener.Everybody I know had to work too today [smiley=roadblock.gif].Just curious if it was good today and worth trying this weekend.The usual spots of South Rock,Natrual Bridges and Ano Nuevo(New years Island)should of been good areas today.Also they are saying we might get a couple of months of fishing Ano Nuevo,befoer the MPAs shut it down.Might want to get some fishing in there.As who knows how long it will be again till we get to fish that area as its slated to be off limits to fishermen. >:(

krzyfshrmn
05-01-2007, 05:25 PM
I read a few reports that sounded pretty good. Wish I would have been out there :'(

wmgraphics
05-01-2007, 07:09 PM
Went out of Capitola today. First looked for some bait... none really. Headed out to a few spots (soquel kelp, adams, mile bouy and capitola kelp) and a big fat NADA. Ya we caught a few small rockies, but the best fight was from the huge chovie on a sabiki, like 13".
The wind started to pick up so we bounced the sand in front of the pier for flatties for again... none. Worst opener I have ever had. Headed back in two weeks hopefully the bait will move in and get things rockin.

OK, the highlights. While in the kelp we had two HUGE grey (color) whales come like 20feet from our boat and kind of just checkin' us out. That was amazing and got my heart pounding to see these amazing creatures so close, we could almost touch them. Also saw a few dolphin and the occasional furbag.

SLOfisher
05-01-2007, 09:23 PM
I don't do "openers", but when 9:30 rolled around I couldn't stand it anymore, and just had to drive over to the boat ramp in Morro Bay. The parking lot was completely full, as was most of the overflow parking, and there were still some boats coming in to launch. Hung around for about half an hour. Talked to guys in four boats that were all coming in with early limits. 6 nice Lings, to around 15 lbs, and a lot of nice Vermillions + assorted other rockies. They said pretty much everyone was killing them today. Guess I'll have to go out Thursday, or Friday and put some fish in the freezer myself. Those of you who haven't fished down here ought to give it a try.

keciga1
05-01-2007, 10:02 PM
I don't do "openers", but when 9:30 rolled around I couldn't stand it anymore, and just had to drive over to the boat ramp in Morro Bay. *The parking lot was completely full, as was most of the overflow parking, and there were still some boats coming in to launch. *Hung around for about half an hour. *Talked to guys in four boats that were all coming in with early limits. *6 nice Lings, to around 15 lbs, and a lot of nice Vermillions + assorted other rockies. *They said pretty much everyone was killing them today. *Guess I'll have to go out Thursday, or Friday and put some fish in the freezer myself. *Those of you who haven't fished down here ought to give it a try.

You're ritght about the fishing down there. I went out on a party boat a few years back and came back with two huge limits for me and my GF. Most of them were big reds. Allthough there were no lings that was my best rockfish trip I ever had.

scfisher831
05-01-2007, 10:30 PM
One day I would like to fish Morro Bay someday.Going to fish on a charter out of Montery at the end of the month with a group of anglers who chartered the boat.The boat is going to head down to Big Sur, haven't fished down there in years and should be fun with full sacks of fish...I hope ;)Hearing some good reports and some not.Ano Nuevo was slow.Natrual Bridges and South Rock decent for lings and rockies.Checked the party boats counts out of Montery and every party boat Limited Out for rock fish for their anglers.Uglystix you fished some good areas and surprised you didn't do better in that area.I hope this isn't a sign of a slow rock cod fishing up this way.Anyways I'm hoping to fish one of the rock piles down towards Mulligans this weekend if the boat is fixed of its inboard problems.Caught a lot of 5lb to 7 lb blues and blacks and some lings last season,with some vermillons mixed in. ;D

wmgraphics
05-02-2007, 01:39 PM
scfisher, I really do hope it was just some bad luck on my part and not a bad overall season for the bay. I know that the commercial guys are out of their now and it will take a few years for things to get real good. I think once the bait comes in strong things will get much better. Well I am headed back down for the 12th and hoping for the best. I will most likely go out SC this time. Those that did well on the open congrats and PM so I can send you my address for some fresh fillets ::).