PDA

View Full Version : Fort Hunter Legget? Elk and Pig

Malila
12-22-2011, 04:00 AM
I just got my email saying to pick up my permit at FHL, wondering if anyone takes any trips out there? I'm going for Pig since it's not Elk season right now, I hear there is good success out there. I'm still new to hunting, got my license last year but scouted maybe 5 or 6 times already. I"m always up to make new hunting buddies to share tips and advice.

Surfcaster1
12-22-2011, 08:16 PM
Steph I Have hunted Ft Hunter in the past it has a lot of pressure and you can only find pigs early in the AM or late in the Pm i don't know if you can hunt at night in this spot.

I just got my email saying to pick up my permit at FHL, wondering if anyone takes any trips out there? I'm going for Pig since it's not Elk season right now, I hear there is good success out there. I'm still new to hunting, got my license last year but scouted maybe 5 or 6 times already. I"m always up to make new hunting buddies to share tips and advice.

1969glasspar
01-09-2012, 10:50 PM
I went on a scouting trip there with a buddy of mine a couple years ago. We hiked a whole lot of country out there and found no pig sign whatsoever. We had a fairly dry season that year though and that is said to have a major play in pig population. It's always worth a shot. I believe that the elk tags for there are still special draw only I'd have to check the DFG website. Wish you the best of luck, Bill

acldo6390
03-05-2012, 11:15 AM
Hunted the base for the past five years after returning to the area. When you go to hunt make sure you bring various weapons as you may restricted to muzzle loader or archery zones. In fact if you bring some of everything you are fairly certain to get a zone with animals. Now the past three years we have taken pigs, deer and some elk too. This past Christmas eve I was lucky enough to get my first bull elk. As far as blacktail hunting it is tough going and if you have the ability to get to Vandenberg AFB then I would take that option as I have tagged out there each of the last two seasons.

Bottom line, get out there and put some time in.... It can be productive.

Malila
03-08-2012, 07:17 PM
All I can say is Wow, nice pics. ] def need to put some time into Legget SOON. Gonna have to sight in rifle straight away!

Hunted the base for the past five years after returning to the area. When you go to hunt make sure you bring various weapons as you may restricted to muzzle loader or archery zones. In fact if you bring some of everything you are fairly certain to get a zone with animals. Now the past three years we have taken pigs, deer and some elk too. This past Christmas eve I was lucky enough to get my first bull elk. As far as blacktail hunting it is tough going and if you have the ability to get to Vandenberg AFB then I would take that option as I have tagged out there each of the last two seasons.

Bottom line, get out there and put some time in.... It can be productive.

bretmoua
03-13-2012, 10:53 AM
Did you manage to go out to FHL? I know a guy from San Jose who gets a pig out there almost every time he hunts the area. I kid you not too....he is pretty successful in his hunts. Too bad he doesn't offer to invite me on any of his hunting trips out there. I too, want to try out FHL. If you need an extra set of eyes and an extra shooter, let me know. I'm always up for pig hunting.

bretmoua
03-13-2012, 10:54 AM
Oh, one more thing....with the rain we are suppose to have this week, it should be good for pig hunting. You would definitely see new tracks if they are there and roaming around. Most of the pigs that I've shot in the past have come either during the rain, or just right after the rain have stop coming down.