PDA

View Full Version : Melones 12/22 with pics and fish!

RideNfish
12-22-2011, 10:47 PM
Since Camanche was real slow I decided to try Melones. I went with my buddy Kevin that happens to live a couple of blocks from me. We wanted to put in a good day fishing before x-mas. We left the house at 06:00 and had lines wet a bit after 07:00. the sunrise was gorgeous and the temp was all of about 26º.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o14/ScreaminRK/Fishing%20Stuff/IMG_1222.jpg

I threw out a PE rod and then started tossing an olive wooly bugger. My first fish came in at 08:19. No I'm not that anal, that's the great thing about the digital cams. :) Just a planter that hit my PEs.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o14/ScreaminRK/Fishing%20Stuff/IMG_1223.jpg

I really wanted to try some new tactics today so I had a few different things tied up ahead of time. I wanted to try a trout worm and a grub behind a bubble. I also threw some woolies and a lure or two. In the mean time Kevin hooked into the elusive "Bush Trout" and bragged about how good his knot tying must be to land such a monster on 4 lbs line. I can't argue this point. :grin:

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o14/ScreaminRK/Fishing%20Stuff/IMG_1224.jpg

I have been casting my alternate attractants for awhile at this point so decide to go down past some other fisherman and throw some of my goods. I ask Kevin to keep an eye on my bait rod and act accordingly if movement should occur. I go down the bank a ways and can barely see my strike indicator. This would be my wine cork for my groupy followers. :cheerleader: Kevin was tying up some new stuff when I look over and see my cork fall off the line. I yell, "Hey Kev, bite!" he goes over and the fish is gone but reels in the line. My yellow PB is still on the hook so he kindly throws it out for me again. I didn't even bother with walking back towards him since they were just small planters at this point. No sooner than he hangs the cork on the line and goes back to tying the cork flys off again. I yell over, yep you guess it, "HEY Kev" he sets the hook and has a fish on. I start to stroll over his direction but in no hurry since he is more than capable to land fish. I notice this one is taking longer than the previous planter. I get there just as he lands a nice hold over. Yep, it counts as his fish. He casted the rod out and brought it in. Just happened to be on my rod but that makes no diff.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o14/ScreaminRK/Fishing%20Stuff/IMG_1226.jpg

Kev shortly thereafter gets his first trout on some color of PB but not sure what. Here is a vid of his struggle. :smile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRhkvg2jFTU&feature=g-upl&context=G278492bAUAAAAAAAAAA

I ended up experementing (mentioned earlier) and was using a berkeley trout worm but what I did was thread it on a n #6 bait hook and made the hook come out of the worm about 2/3 of the way back. Kind of like a bass worm. I tossed it out behind a water bubble and managed to catch 4 planter trout this way. Was a lot of fun. I also managed two on a black wooly and here is one with nice colors comeing to shore. You can see the bugger in it's mouth.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o14/ScreaminRK/Fishing%20Stuff/IMG_1230.jpg

It was getting to be around noon or so and to my surprise Kevin decided to throw on a real live worm. I didn't know he had them. In not much time he landed the next and last hold over of the day. He fought this for quite a while and we could tell it was a nice fish. Even by the way it took the worm was much more aggressive.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o14/ScreaminRK/Fishing%20Stuff/IMG_1231.jpg

After a couple of minutes he skillfully landed this GORGEOUS 19" 3 #'r. Nice colors, nice fish, nice fight. Good job Kevin buddy!!!!!

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o14/ScreaminRK/Fishing%20Stuff/IMG_1233.jpg

Nothing to baulk at here. Nice fish by any standards. So I bet you can guess what I changed to. I threw out a worm as well and landed another planter. The hold overs weren't interested in RideNfish today. I do get a partial credit for my gear catching one but it was Kevin's fish all the way.

The run down for me;
3 planters on PB or PW various colors
2 planters on black wooly bugger
4 planters on my power worm behind bobber
The run down for Kevin
2 on PB of differnt colors
1 hold over on my rod's PE but his fish
1 VERY nice fish on a live worm floating up from the bottom

We had a GREAT day and wish we could of stayed longer. One thing I was not happy with myself about was I never put a live worm behind my water bobber. I would of loved to do that but for some reason didn't think of it. I FOR SURE would of caught an hold over then. hehe
:a-fish:
Thank you all for tuning in and sorry for the long post to the ones that just want the stats.

:cheers1:

serge
12-22-2011, 11:06 PM
Great Job as always Doug!!!!!! i sure get jealous when I see you out there and all I can do is look at pics. But since I cant make it out there lately, atleast your posts and pics help me enjoy it this way :)

mnca711
12-23-2011, 12:08 AM
I always say im going to try melones but still havent. The same set up you did with the worm is the same set up i do just add a power egg. Thanks for the nice pictures and report

schatgun
12-23-2011, 03:21 AM
Great jog guys.... Excellent report, as usual.... Your not helping me with my fish withdrawals with posts/reports like this.
I'm glad you guys had another successful, fun & productive day.

Thanks for the input and entertaining report... Thanks again for sharing.

See you guys on the water.....

sollimes
12-23-2011, 07:04 AM
Doug,

Great job out there! Thank for the report.
I see you fish the same spot I did last week. Are there still school of fish cruising around?

Theo

trollingplate
12-23-2011, 07:42 AM
Doug you are the "Bank Manager"

doesn't matter what branch you fish, you are the Bank Manager !!

Awesome work and experimenting...we all learn from posts and your efforts..

Marv
12-23-2011, 08:59 AM
Nice seein' you yesterday :) I had a dream about your buddies fish, lol. The live worm/water bobber is what im used to using, thats the "Mcswain technique". Gang hooks help hold the night crawler and keeps you from flingin' him off on a rocket cast. I got one about 21/2 my pb rainbow :) about an hour after you left.

Doug is the Bank manager, lol. As soon as i pulled in to the Tuttle town area i see Doug reelin' them in.

Doug, pic that i took with kevins fish is a great looking pic, minus my ugly mug :p if it's cool with you id like to post it here.

CRESTLINER 08
12-23-2011, 09:12 AM
nice pics and story,good post....thanks

RideNfish
12-23-2011, 09:21 AM
The same set up you did with the worm is the same set up i do just add a power egg. Thanks for the nice pictures and report

Just to be clear on my setup, I used the power worm behind a clear water bobber like a wooly bugger. Cast it out and reeled in slowly in the top couple feet of water.

Great job out there! Thank for the report.
I see you fish the same spot I did last week. Are there still school of fish cruising around?
Theo

Hey Theo, I didn't see any fish cruising around but you could see the activity on the water. A couple of guys to my left in the bend going to the ramp were on fire on just PB. I would of fished many areas but a bit limited on time and my buddy's ankle has had more surgeries than one should count. :)

Doug you are the "Bank Manager"

doesn't matter what branch you fish, you are the Bank Manager !!

But I don't want be a bank manager. Sounds like work! I'm new to this bank fishing the lakes. Only my second season. There are plenty that kick my butt!

Thanks all!!!!

RideNfish
12-23-2011, 09:55 AM
Nice seein' you yesterday :) I had a dream about your buddies fish, lol. The live worm/water bobber is what im used to using, thats the "Mcswain technique". Gang hooks help hold the night crawler and keeps you from flingin' him off on a rocket cast. I got one about 21/2 my pb rainbow :) about an hour after you left.

Doug is the Bank manager, lol. As soon as i pulled in to the Tuttle town area i see Doug reelin' them in.

Doug, pic that i took with kevins fish is a great looking pic, minus my ugly mug :p if it's cool with you id like to post it here.

Nice seein' you as well BB! Let's be sure to follow thru on our January plans if Amador heats back up. That is GREAT that you go a 2½-er after I left. You caught bigger than I did! Whooo HOoooooo.

It was funny the timing of you coming up and I'm catching on my trout worm water bobber troll. I got one on two cast in a row.

By all means post that pic I would like to see it. The fish's color was a bit off by that point but still good. So, did you tell your family that was your fish? LOL Where are the pics of YOUR fish????

Cheers,

JwG
12-24-2011, 10:03 AM
Great report RideNfish!!

The story and pictures were a good read.
You are really getting some fun action this month.:fishing:
Nice stats at the end.

The video was cool.http://www.fishsniffer.com/images/icons/icon6.png
It is nice to watch the action as well as to read about it.

The weather looked awesome up there for the Solstice.

You guys did better than Dr.F and I did Thursday at DV.:kermit:

That is a real nice fish that Kevin has there, bright with full fins.
Nice job Kevin!!!!http://www.fishsniffer.com/images/icons/icon14.png

Thanks for sharing your experimentations as it always gives me ideas and makes me think of new things to try.
Love the strike indicators.
Now you’ve done it, you got me thinking about the next trip!!!! :bananatiedie:

LMAO

Merry Christmas – Happy Holidays!!!!!!:grinch:

Steve079
12-24-2011, 05:19 PM
Good to see you getting up to Melones. Those are some nice holdovers you pulled in, I'll have to check out the water bobber method, never used it before. What a nice day to get out, and get some fish too! Have a great Holiday!

GNappers
12-24-2011, 07:46 PM
Great report filled with info and pictures.

CRESTLINER 08
12-25-2011, 10:37 PM
i never fished melones where is a good spot to bank fish....looks like its about two and a half hrs away,i would like to take a drive and check it out..thanks for any help...

RideNfish
12-26-2011, 07:31 AM
i never fished melones where is a good spot to bank fish....looks like its about two and a half hrs away,i would like to take a drive and check it out..thanks for any help...

Hi Crestliner,
Pretty much the areas that are bank fished the most are the two main access areas to the lake. One is called Glory Hole Point and the other is Tuttletown. There are some other areas but these are good areas to start. Also you can stop at the Glory Hole gas station and tackle store for information they will mark on a map for you. They put out a weekly fishing report online as well.

Here are the two main areas and both provide easy bank access and also more difficult areas to get to as well.
Tuttletown area (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=37.980807,-120.517534&hl=en&num=1&t=h&vpsrc=0&z=16) Glory Hole Point (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=37.99366,-120.540837&hl=en&num=1&t=h&vpsrc=0&z=16)
The lake in those photos is a lot lower right now but those are the general areas.

Hope that helps. Oh, you can also google New Melones and their website has very good maps of the trails with even difficulty ratings. The dang maps don't however promise fish. :)

Cheers,

RideNfish
12-27-2011, 07:28 AM
You guys did better than Dr.F and I did Thursday at DV.:kermit:

Thanks for all the compliments JwG. I'm sorry I got you thinking about fishing.....NOT!!! Can't wait until we can get a trip planned.

Sorry you didn't do better at DV. Any details you wanna share? I know you focused on striper while Dr.F. went after trout. Would of been cool as heck if you could of got both limits :elmo:

I went out to N.M. again yesterday but just for a few hours. I caught two very small guys. I was fishing by the 49 bridge to try something different. So it was real slow. If anyone fished Tuttletown or Glory Hole yesterday (Tue) then please say how you did. I would like to know if other areas were on fire or if the whole lake was slow. I know Schatgun said it was a bit slow but did manage a decent day. Of course he cheated using that nice boat he has. LOL

Well, I'm off to keep my RideNfish status. Leaving in an hour for Pismo Beach and riding down Hwy 1 Should be about a 600 mile two day trip. Wish me warmth! hehe. And no pictures for ya all cause it ain't fish'n :)

:cheers1:

JwG
12-27-2011, 10:46 AM
Thanks for all the compliments JwG.

You’re welcome, well deserved.

I went out to N.M. again yesterday but just for a few hours.
Well, I'm off to keep my RideNfish status. Leaving in an hour for Pismo Beach :)

You’re having one heck of a nice month here RideNfish.
Fishing everyother day, gourmet meals prepared by your wife, wine tasting and taking bike rides to the beach.

Nice job out there on the fishing and your reports and pictures have been great!!!

Is it true, you have groupies?
LMAO:banana:

Sorry you didn't do better at DV. Any details you wanna share? I know you focused on striper while Dr.F. went after trout.

I was out to DV this last Thursday, the 22nd.

I fished for striper all day.
Used brined anchovy, c-liver and sardines.
I even tried attaching an inflated nightcrawler to each to act as an attractant late in the day.
No hits, fouls or errors all day for me.

Dr.F fished for trout all day.
He used mostly baits, few lures.
He got three, two at #3/4 and one #1. All nice fighters and bright.
P/E combo w/crawler and straight ‘crawler, all inflated.
All hits from 2:00 pm on.
It was his birthday trip. He is getting old and grumpy!!:dancingorange:

We fished two spots in Dam Cove, one spot in Heron Bay, one spot in Swallow Bay. All fish from Swallow Bay.
Five other boats on the lake.
Water was low and cloudy.
Maybe 24 bankers on the East Shore Beach and about ten walk in’s observed.
Saw five nice #3+ trout with others.

A nice day!!!