PDA

View Full Version : Water Bobbers Leak.. suggestions?

trollingplate
12-23-2011, 07:45 AM
A couple of my water bobbers leak... just a small amount of air can make them
float (which is OK too if that is what I am after)...but how do you keep them full
and stay full... TP

Bigg A
12-23-2011, 08:23 AM
If they're leaking really bad from a crack or something just use a little super glue

Marv
12-23-2011, 08:32 AM
TP, i was using the Mustad brand water bobbers and had the same problem. I found some high quality one's @ A-1 Bait&Tackle in Snelling, Ca. Im sure thats too far for you to travel but mabye they will ship a dozen of them to you. They are pretty much the same as the Mustads except they are a little thicker and a little better design.

If you don't want to deal with shipping them and what not, then call A-1 BAIT&TACKLE in Snelling, Ca. And mabye they will give you.the manufacturer. Hope this helps.

Jetspray
12-23-2011, 08:33 AM
Some leak around plastic to plastic seal areas, plumbers grease helps (it won't dissolve in water environments). I use more foam type floats now than in the past myself, mostly because of the weighted bottoms on them........Jetspray

HMONG_James_Vang
12-23-2011, 08:54 AM
super glue

H-man
12-23-2011, 09:27 AM
discard and buy new ones...

Sometimes the leak is caused by the hook set which knocks out the plug... solution: thread your line though the other direction through the plug, so when your swivle hits the plug it just knocks it in tighter...

RideNfish
12-23-2011, 09:37 AM
As H-man said. Be sure to thread it onto your line with the narrower part of the stem going towards the rod. On bomber cast it will tighten instead of loosen. I have had them get too tight at times and start to crack. As BassBoy said just keep an eye out for other brands and try them. Once you find a brand you like then go online and buy a bunch.

Cheers

mnca711
12-24-2011, 01:28 AM
If you got a walmart near by get them there. I pay under a dollar for 2. I havent had a problem with them but after some use they do start to leak (in my case been about 4 months) and at the end im not out much money. I have cracked well not cracked but smashed mines but stepping on them when i land the fish or when i set them down hard on the ground so watch out lol.

Jetspray
12-24-2011, 06:33 AM
discard and buy new ones...

Sometimes the leak is caused by the hook set which knocks out the plug... solution: thread your line though the other direction through the plug, so when your swivle hits the plug it just knocks it in tighter...

Very good suggestion, and a usual way to hook up. It is just that manufacture of plastic is not an exacting science. If you look at new one's under a magnifying lense you will see burrs along the edges of some. The plumber's grease seals that or you could use a dremmel tool with alot of control to de-burr it:naughty::thumbsup:.......Jetspray

RideNfish
12-24-2011, 08:47 AM
...... or you could use a dremmel tool with alot of control to de-burr it:naughty::thumbsup:.......Jetspray

Ok, this has gone to far. When you start using a Dremel tool to modify a water bobber it may be time for the Betty Ford Tackle Abuse Program. hehe
:hitoverhead:

SuckerPunch
12-24-2011, 10:04 AM
Adjust-a-Bubbles are way more expensive, but are also way better built. I don't like 'em much when I'm trying to get a slow sink through the water column with bait, but they're wonderful to use (1) in place of a sliding sinker in snaggy environments (they lift much better than lead when it's time to reel in and cast again), (2) as a floating casting weight for jigs, streamers, etc, (3) as a fixed float for just about any type of offering, and (4) as a slip-float. However, there are two nubs from the production process at the base of the thing that you have to file off - they'll foul your line if you leave 'em on, so bust out the Dremel.