PDA

View Full Version : hook question

redneckpunk
12-23-2011, 10:35 AM
Taking the g/f and kids back up to Collins on Sat. hoping for similar luck to what we had last weekend. However, since Im the only one who eats fish, Im looking to do more CPR than we did. The problem last week was 4 of the 5 we landed swallowed the hook and had to go on ice. Im using size eight red eagle claw hooks. Ive tries flattening the barb out but the night crawler doesnt stay on and even when flat if swallowed the damage is done. Should we try a larger hook size or style to attempt lip hooking the fish? any other suggestions? I just dont want to take more than I will eat in the near future, filling up the freezer.

~RNP

Akasha Twi-Path
12-23-2011, 11:30 AM
try threading the Worm all the way over the eye of the hook should help it stay there :)

SuckerPunch
12-23-2011, 11:30 AM
Taking the g/f and kids back up to Collins on Sat. hoping for similar luck to what we had last weekend. However, since Im the only one who eats fish, Im looking to do more CPR than we did. The problem last week was 4 of the 5 we landed swallowed the hook and had to go on ice. Im using size eight red eagle claw hooks. Ive tries flattening the barb out but the night crawler doesnt stay on and even when flat if swallowed the damage is done. Should we try a larger hook size or style to attempt lip hooking the fish? any other suggestions? I just dont want to take more than I will eat in the near future, filling up the freezer.

~RNP

Ditch the bait and fish with lures/flies - that's the easiest way to not have a trout, or any other fish, swallow your offering.

ApexPredator
12-23-2011, 11:40 AM
I would say pick up some small inline circle hooks. I personally haven't used them on trout but I also haven't gone trout fishing since i started using them. They work amazingly well on catfish and striped bass and we have even caught sturgeon on them. So with how trout feed I would expect they would work quite well, just make sure the trout can swallow the hook.

redneckpunk
12-23-2011, 12:00 PM
SuckerPunch,, I tried it last weekend but it was unproductive. I prefer trolling but until I get my boat finished and ready to fish Im stuck in the dirt drowning worms.

~RNP

Marv
12-23-2011, 12:12 PM
Have tried using a degroger along with barbless hooks, not barbed hooks with the barb smashed down(this can leave a little burr that can still do damage). Also as stated Gamakatsu or Ower makes #8 circle hook. I have never used a smaller circle but a circle hook is all i use for catfish and striper and almost always hooks in the corner of the mouth.