PDA

View Full Version : Thurs. 4/26 Cal Dawn Report

gmdcdvm
04-27-2007, 01:22 AM
Went out on the Cal Dawn today for some halibut trolling. James was the captain, Steve was our deckhand, and Bob was working the galley.

Long story short there were 6 anglers, and a total of 12 or 13 halibut landed on the boat fishing near Oyster Pt/Candlestick.

Short story long: We were trolling with size 8 dodgers, various colored hoochies, and frozen anchovies with a stinger set up. Initially we started off quite a bit east of Oyster Pt. The Captn. said he just wanted to check try something new to see if anyone was home. After about 10 minutes with no action we head over to Oyste Pt. Spent the rest of the day trolling between Oyster Pt. and Candlestick. There were probably up to 10 or 12 boats out there at any given time. Overall the action was slow, but steady. Besides the 12/13 keepers there were about anoher 8 or so shakers that we caught.

The technique of choice today? If you ordered a cheeseburger from Bob that seemed to help break the skunk. The other technique which worked for me was to walk away from m line, and then have to run back when a fish hit. I ended up with 3 small keepers between 23-28 inches, two shakers about 14-18 inches, and two or three bites that didn't stick. Apparently I had the distinct honer of being the first on a party boat to limit out this year. This accomplishment was matched a short time later when the guy next to met (Sorry, I never got your name) pulled in his 25lb halibut to complete his limit towards the end of the day. That guy had a 16lb, 19lb, and 25lb halibut to dwarf my three fish.

The weather was absolutely perfect with bright sunny skies and hardly any wind until late in the day. The crew did a great job at keeping us on the fish, rebaiting, and keeping us well fed. This was my first time out on the Cal Dawn, but it wont be my last. I would definitely recommend this boat to anyone. Having the galley on board makes it so much easier if you forget or don't have the time to pack a lunch. Don't think we could have asked for a more perfect day. In the end everyone went home with at least one fish, and a lot of smiles *:).

Can't wait to do it again on that boat. I think the kicker for me, and maybe for anyone who likes to party boat fish, is that rods and tackle are included in the price of the trip, $85. Most other places like to charge extra for these. This helps a bit if you don't bring your own, forget to bring it, or for the casual fisherman who might not have his or her own gear.

Had a lot of good people on board which made for some good times, and landing a fish now and then didn't hurt either. If you are thinking of going you should get out there now while the fishing pressure is still low.

Gerry

mike22ca
04-27-2007, 06:40 AM
Great report Gerry [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

slick88
04-27-2007, 07:42 AM
Can't wait to do it again on that boat. I think the kicker for me, and maybe for anyone who likes to party boat fish, is that rods and tackle are included in the price of the trip, $85. Most other places like to charge extra for these. This helps a bit if you don't bring your own, forget to bring it, or for the casual fisherman who might not have his or her own gear.
Gerry

The Cal Dawn is a good party boat because of the Captain, but I also like the on-board food service.

But is the rod/tackle included on these halibut trolling trips only?

keciga1
04-27-2007, 08:01 AM
You da man Gerry. Thanks for the report. Now where are the pictures. ;D ;D ;D

FF_MYRL
04-27-2007, 08:07 AM
Sounds like a great day! Capt. James on the Cal. Dawn is a great captian and guy. James gave me alot of info when I first started fishing for butts.

Rodney

gmdcdvm
04-27-2007, 08:44 PM
I'm am pretty sure the tackle/rods are included in the price. Thats what there website states, and what he told me when I called to book my trip. Everyone on board had their own gear. Steve went around setting up 3-ways, dodgers, leaders, and bait for everyone (with no charge).

I would assume you would need to buy the 3lb lead balls for salmon trolling, but on this trip the 10oz-16oz weights were also included in the price of the trip.

One other thing I forgot to mention. James recommend using braid only instead of mono. He said the braid has been fishing better than mono. Still used mono for the leaders, but braid only for the main line.

G

Farrier_Frank
04-28-2007, 05:14 AM
El Jefe.... what's the web site for Cal Dawn? I Googled caldawn and came up with Columbian Cupid, a dating service ;D I know I was looking for butts but figured if I tried that site I'd probably get my butt kicked, and I doubt they serve burgers. ::)

wcslingers
04-28-2007, 05:37 AM
http://www.californiadawn.com/

Farrier_Frank
04-28-2007, 06:07 AM
Thanks wc. 8-)

GCinGV
04-28-2007, 06:47 AM
Hey Gerry, nice catch. Were you using a release for the weights or a three-way splitter with a dropper?
Thanks GC

SEEKER
04-28-2007, 07:28 AM
Oh I think they serve burgers Frank , just the fur type ::). Thanks for the report Jefe.

gmdcdvm
04-28-2007, 06:47 PM
We were using 3-way swivles with anything from 10-16oz of weight. The back of the boat (or stern as some would say) used 10oz while the sides used 16oz. With 6 anglers on board it was awesome: plenty of room, no tangles, and steady action for everyone.

The sad part was that only two people that did not reel in a fish all day: a girl named Mary and the wife of the guy fishing next to me. Was not a good day for the fairer sex.

One last thing which has been mentioned time and again: check your baits frequently. With all the mis hits, algae, and occasional garbage out there you had to maker sure everything was in order about every 10 minutes.

On a side note it was pretty cool to see how they passed burgers and other lunch items to some of the other boats. They would place an order on the radio. Once the order was ready they would bag it in a large plastic bag, fill it with air and tie it off, and then over the side it went. The other boat would then cruise by, and bring it on in for lunch.

G

Farrier_Frank
04-28-2007, 07:28 PM
On a side note it was pretty cool to see how they passed burgers and other lunch items to some of the other boats. They would place an order on the radio. Once the order was ready they would bag it in a large plastic bag, fill it with air and tie it off, and then over the side it went. The other boat would then cruise by, and bring it on in for lunch.

Thats cool, I'd like to see that... maybe I will. 8-)