PDA

View Full Version : Berkley Pier Home of the Skunks!!!

LookInTheWaterSon
04-23-2007, 03:49 PM
Went to the Berkeley Pier on Sun. fishing the last couple hours of the incoming. Bait was 'choves and squid. Skunked. Again. No Fish. One bite probably a ray but the line snapped. I'm usually a decent fisherman, but I've only caught one kingfish here. Don't get me wrong, there's fish there, I've seen stripers, halibut, ray's, sharks and smelt caught. Just not by me. Any tips, spots or others stories of misery would be greatly appreciated!

Jerrdirt
04-23-2007, 05:24 PM
how far down on the pier were you? we're you fishing facing north or south? usually i fish near the end facing north. ;)

LookInTheWaterSon
04-23-2007, 09:41 PM
First windblock on the north side. Didn't want to walk that far for nothing. Figured with the wind some bait may have pushed closer to the rocks. I've looked at nautical maps of the area and it seems as though the depth is pretty much the same from the shore to the end. Map said it's 6 feet the whole length. Wish there was a pier taxi to take you out to the end, it's quite a trek.

abdiver12
04-24-2007, 01:14 AM
Lol, first Martinez, now Berkeley. You should rename yourself PierRat! (I'm one myself by the way.)

pinfish
04-24-2007, 08:14 AM
fish there mornings and night. afternoons always windy except the hottest summer and fall days. just look at the flags as you drive towards the area.

bretmoua
04-24-2007, 02:54 PM
I have the same results when I go out there too. I'm usually fishing towards the 3/4 of the way out towards the end and on the north and south side. The last time I was there, I didn't get a single bite for 4 hours. I'm wondering if that pier will ever be as good as people said it to be.

Jerrdirt
04-24-2007, 05:15 PM
patience guys! the fish will start showing up in mid may. ;)

FinshingSW
04-24-2007, 09:52 PM
I spent hundreds of hours there over the last year because of it's proximity to my school, nothing but a couple of rays...not complaining but not productive, and when they come its like wall to wall and only a few are catching anything...and everything

Jerrdirt
04-26-2007, 06:24 PM
Took a walk on the pier today during lunch and saw a bunch of seagulls flying over what seemed to be a ball of anchovies. Great weather this weekend hopefully they'll be some bigo halibuts out there.