PDA

View Full Version : Martinez Pier 4/23

LookInTheWaterSon
04-23-2007, 09:49 PM
Fished the west end of Martinez Pier at the begining of the incoming tide. Really windy and the water was stained pretty bad, never the less we tossed some 'choves on sliding sinkers out. After two hours a couple of bites and one shaker we decided to call it. About four other folks out there fishing. One guy fishing cut choves on a high low rig said he caught "like three" shakers. The rest reported no striper bites with one die-hard going after dino's. Slow day but better than sitting on the couch!

ZACK
04-24-2007, 07:59 AM
Fished the west end of Martinez Pier at the begining of the incoming tide. Really windy and the water was stained pretty bad, never the less we tossed some 'choves on sliding sinkers out. *After two hours a couple of bites and one shaker we decided to call it. *About four other folks out there fishing. One guy fishing cut choves on a high low rig said he caught "like three" shakers. The rest reported no striper bites with one die-hard going after dino's. Slow day but better than sitting on the couch!

I have caught quite a few sturgeon on that pier fishing with friends. Leave the anchovies at home. They will get the attention of too many dinks. Use ghost / grass combos on a traditional sturgeon rig. You can also use two poles from this pier and only fish the pier on incoming, or weak out going tides. Good luck and if you put your time in you will get one there. Trick is how will you get it over the rail??? ;D

ZACK! 8-)

Martinez Frank
04-24-2007, 07:12 PM
Hey Zack you need a grappling hook on a rope ;) ;D

FinshingSW
04-24-2007, 09:50 PM
or a crab ring....

ZACK
04-25-2007, 08:59 AM
Hey Zack you need a grappling hook on a rope ;) ;D

;D

Actually what we used to do (or should I say I because I was the only one dumb enough) was climb down on the plywood sign that is at water level on the West end of the pier and net, or snare the fish while my cronies hauled em up. A crab net is a lot safer than the fore mentioned method where one slip would put you into the "hypothermia" drink making you another statistic. ZACK!

EastBayAngler
04-25-2007, 09:34 AM
Fished the west end of Martinez Pier at the begining of the incoming tide. Really windy and the water was stained pretty bad, never the less we tossed some 'choves on sliding sinkers out. After two hours a couple of bites and one shaker we decided to call it. About four other folks out there fishing. One guy fishing cut choves on a high low rig said he caught "like three" shakers. The rest reported no striper bites with one die-hard going after dino's. Slow day but better than sitting on the couch!

Hey, LITWS Thats cool you got out there...I love that pier and it has produced some monster fish...Zach is right. Leave the frozen chovies at home...Shrimp for the hogs and roe for the logs....
http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/6377/1002533na0.jpg

Heres a pic of my friend larry and his 40" 30 something#er he cuaght in the same spot...West end, And if it were'nt for my crab net he would have only looked at it...Crab nets are like $10 at hook line & sinker. I got two!!!- ;)-EBA