PDA

View Full Version : side planer question

legallimit
01-03-2012, 05:22 PM
can i use my downriggers with no weights on them to hoist out side planers????????

Steve079
01-03-2012, 05:38 PM
Are you talking about side planers, or in line planers?

schatgun
01-03-2012, 05:50 PM
Possibly....but as an unwritten rule, the taller the point from which your planer line is attached the further out your planer will go. You also need it to sit high enough so as to create a steep angle for your planer release and fishing line to slide away from the boat and towards the sideplaner.

I made a 6' planer mast w/ 1/2" steel pipe that fits in one of my Scotty rod holders. I put a planer reel on it w/ 150 lb. dacron line. I can send my gear out nearly 80' to 100' if neccessary (but I wouldn't only to be courteous to others, and not hog the whole lake).

Between my homemade sideplaner reel/mast and my homemade sideplaner (thnx to SteveO79 for the sideplaner plans) its a very efficient and effective set up. I can send plans/details of both upon request.....all together I spent about $60, for professionally manufactured set up the cheapest I found on Ebay was $180.

I hope this is helpful.

C U on the water...........

legallimit
01-03-2012, 06:40 PM
yea that makes sense , thanks for the description. i think this is a perfect oppurtunity for some craftsmenship.

RideNfish
01-03-2012, 07:07 PM
Between my homemade sideplaner reel/mast and my homemade sideplaner (thnx to SteveO79 for the sideplaner plans) its a very efficient and effective set up.

I hope you let us use that to troll the shore nice and close! Any lost lures I will pay for :)

CRABBY
01-03-2012, 07:27 PM
I hope you let us use that to troll the shore nice and close! Any lost lures I will pay for :)Oh man I wanna go,got any big Trophy Sticks????HeHe..............Don