PDA

View Full Version : Del Valle 1-2-12

IdFishThat
01-03-2012, 06:34 PM
Picked up two of my nephews and headed to DV for my first fishing trip of the year. Got to the lake around 7:10 and had to wait a bit as one of my nephews picked up a license. No boat on this day, we rolled my trusty red fishing wagon north on the East shore to the end of the narrows just past the second group camp and had lines in the water by about 8:00. There were three other people at the spot and a few more around the point at Badger cove. The folks next to us pulled in a smallish planter around 8:45 and then it was quiet until after 10:00. All three of us had an inflated crawler/power egg setup at various distances from shore, there were lots of fish breaching close to shore so I tried to bring mine in 5-10 feet every 10 minutes. I also was trying a wooly bugger with a bubble on my second rod, a first for me . A little after 10 my bait rod went off and bent way over, when I grabbed it the line went slack but I knew the fish had hooked itself so I reeled like mad as the fish swam towards shore. When I saw it roll over I realized it was a nice size fish and I could see the bright pink stripe indicating a rainbow rather than a striper. It turned and ran out a bit but wore out pretty quickly. My first fish of 2012 turned out to be a 24 inch four pound beauty with great color. I only managed two more, one dink and a two pounder (it had a belly full of rocks!) and two other hookups that got lost due to my own mistakes. The socond two came on an inflated crawler that I put on my wooly bugger setup with a 3-4 foot leader and retrieved very slowly, the bubble kept it near the bottom and the fish seemed to react better to a crawler in motion. The first miss came when I set the rod down in the chair to talk to a few guys walking by, the rod got yanked off the ground and the noise of the drag got my attention. Next thing I see is a big fish breaching and spitting the hook! It was a bummer but kinda neat to see.
Unfortunately the nephews didn't get any substantial bites and I couldn't buy a bite on wooly buggers in olive and purple, Kastmasters in yellow/gold, green/gold, blue/silver or from gold/red PM or a white rooster tail.

Fish #1:

Fish #2:

All three:

It was kind of a grind to get three but not a bad start to 2012.

Notice the differences in color.

RideNfish
01-03-2012, 07:25 PM
Awesome fish IFT!
It's fun having a rod yanked when you can't get to it. Ask me about my swim at Hogan when I watched my rod fly over my chair sometime :)

Sorry the wooly didn't work for you but it will! Especially since you saw fish activity on the surface. Good job trying it though. I wonder where you got the purple idea from :cool:? (I assuming you read my Melones post but if not I apologize)

I'm surprised that you didn't get a hit on the wooly. My dad and I killed them that day we went which was my first trip ever to that lake. Good going on the worm behind the bubble. No different that the guys that troll them. I do like you, same as the wooly VERY SLOOOOOWWW retrieve. I have caught them on crawlers that way and also even the fake power worms.

Way to mix it up and congrats on a great 2012 start!

:cheers1:

CRABBY
01-03-2012, 07:34 PM
Excellent post IFT,pcs are worth a thousand words,good detail on bait an location.Thanks for the update......Don

IdFishThat
01-03-2012, 07:45 PM
Awesome fish IFT!
It's fun having a rod yanked when you can't get to it. Ask me about my swim at Hogan when I watched my rod fly over my chair sometime :)

Sorry the wooly didn't work for you but it will! Especially since you saw fish activity on the surface. Good job trying it though. I wonder where you got the purple idea from :cool:? (I assuming you read my Melones post but if not I apologize)

I'm surprised that you didn't get a hit on the wooly. My dad and I killed them that day we went which was my first trip ever to that lake. Good going on the worm behind the bubble. No different that the guys that troll them. I do like you, same as the wooly VERY SLOOOOOWWW retrieve. I have caught them on crawlers that way and also even the fake power worms.

Way to mix it up and congrats on a great 2012 start!

:cheers1:

Thanks! The chair and the fact that the fish spit the hook saved that rod.
I did steal the idea for the purple from your post! I filled a small bubble all the way and let it sink 5 feet or so and then started a really slow retrieve but since the bugger was weighted I am not sure about the depth it was at. I am going to keep experimenting with different methods this year and will post the results here.

RideNfish
01-03-2012, 07:47 PM
Try not letting it sink too. Just cast and slow retrieve. Even if it makes a small wake on the water that can be good.
:0)

Brutus20
01-03-2012, 09:00 PM
Great report. Enjoyed you taking us along for the ride. It's good to see some quality rainbows coming out of DV. Thats me and my wifes favorite spot. Water has sure dropped .

Thanks for posting

.................Brutus......

IdFishThat
01-03-2012, 11:06 PM
Great report. Enjoyed you taking us along for the ride. It's good to see some quality rainbows coming out of DV. Thats me and my wifes favorite spot. Water has sure dropped .

Thanks for posting

.................Brutus......

Thanks! I like it out there too, especially where I can get away from the crowds a bit. The water has dropped, I think the marina folks said that they just had drained it 18 feet a few days before and I heard they had also lowered it a few weeks prior to that and that they will soon drain it 10 more feet. I love that lake when it is really full, I have fond memories of catching trout in a few feet of water at the back of badger cove about 5 years ago.

mnca711
01-04-2012, 01:00 AM
Thanks for the report and sweet catch. I keep saying im going to head that way but havent. Thanks again

JwG
01-04-2012, 07:22 AM
Nice job IFT!

Way to do it on the #4 'er.http://www.fishsniffer.com/images/icons/icon6.png
Thanks for the report and pictures.

trollingplate
01-04-2012, 06:17 PM
Very Nice!! Might go this Friday with the wife and Green Gregor... any Sniffer's there say Hi !