PDA

View Full Version : sausalito

sigmapirockstar
04-17-2007, 07:19 PM
Hey all, I am taking my 12 ft inflatable diving boat out to sauce town. I am not familiar with that part of the ocean. Any tips, cautions, advice??

ZACK
04-18-2007, 08:00 AM
Hey all, I am taking my 12 ft inflatable diving boat out to sauce town. I am not familiar with that part of the ocean. Any tips, cautions, advice??

Donít fish dead bait you will get ray and sharked out! Catch some smelt and drift them live on a 3way live bait rig at the mouth and flats of Richardson Bay. Concentrate along the edge of the drop parallel to the 1st marker there. You can also drift the shoreline where Richardson Bay meets Tiberon just before it opens up to Racoon Straight. Water is fairly calm there and at times full of both butts, Leopards, and stripers.
Give a follow up report good, or bad. I have fished the bay for over a decade hard and I would not steer you wrong. Fish the way I suggested and if you do not catch it is only because they arenít there....
Good Luck, ZACK!

Eric_csus14
04-18-2007, 11:40 AM
Sigmapibone, that sounds like an awsome idea to take such a small boat out there. I would drop some crabtraps over at Saechao Pier too. I wonder if there are any big, big sharks out there? Let me know how it goes too!

evcmadfisherman
04-20-2007, 04:23 PM
How do you catch the smelt?
Do you get them near the docks then go for the halibut.
or do you catch them right where you are going to fish.

Eric_csus14
04-20-2007, 07:58 PM
Good question, I think under a bobber but I'm not sure where. Anyone have any insight?

realdeal
04-20-2007, 08:20 PM
I used to use a small strip of squid or anchovy under a bobber, usually right off of the dock

evcmadfisherman
04-20-2007, 10:33 PM
Ya put a chovie on the bottom in sausalito and you catch a ray.
live bait is the way to go but I got to figure how to catch live bait easy and keep them alive. for my overnighters. ::)

sigmapirockstar
04-22-2007, 08:44 PM
Yeah, we postponed until this weekend b/c of weather. I think we are going to catch some smelt and drift as Zack suggested. Do you know the regs for keeping fish this time of year? I tried to read the regs but sometimes get confused.

ZACK
04-22-2007, 10:30 PM
Yeah, we postponed until this weekend b/c of weather. I think we are going to catch some smelt and drift as Zack suggested. Do you know the regs for keeping fish this time of year? I tried to read the regs but sometimes get confused.

Ah yes,
it is a good thing you didn't try to fish this weekend. The tides are HORRIBLE for drifting bait now. This weekend will be prime. I will be in that general area on Saturday but I will be trying for 7gill. I'll keep my eyes peeled for ya. As for catching smelt your biggest challenge is going to be getting smelt that are close to the correct size. Any thing under 8 inches. Don't worry if it takes you longer then you expected to catch your bait. That area will stay fairly mellow all day.
Good luck and stick a pig ZACK!

Big_Easy
04-23-2007, 06:57 AM
Question Zack? The area around San Quentin is off limits right? What about on the other side of the bridge by the old shooting pier?

ZACK
04-23-2007, 09:59 AM
Question Zack? *The area around San Quentin is off limits right? *What about on the other side of the bridge by the old shooting pier? * *
There is a buffer around San Quentin that is off limits but you should check to see what it is. Paradice K is a good place for butts too but not one of my fav's. The other end by the pier I have never fished but South Hampton Shoal can be good too but a lot of water to cover. I prefer areas that smash bait against drop offs that I can work and if it doesn't yeald I move on. Stick and Move, Stick and Move, all day until I find and then I work that well until it is dry and move on, an on.
ZACK!

Eric_csus14
04-23-2007, 01:57 PM
Zack- Im going with Bone on Sat. He wants to catch Halibut or striper, but I am more interested in big 7 gills. Are there any around sausalito or should we try somewhere else. Neither of us have fished in a boat out in the ocean so we are trying to get as much info as possible. Any advice about the big boys would be awsome!
_Eric

ZACK
04-23-2007, 03:26 PM
Zack- Im going with Bone on Sat. *He wants to catch Halibut or striper, but I am more interested in big 7 gills. *Are there any around sausalito or should we try somewhere else. *Neither of us have fished in a boat out in the ocean so we are trying to get as much info as possible. *Any advice about the big boys would be awsome!
_Eric

7gills are un charted territory for me but I will let you know what I learn as I learn it. ZACK!

evcmadfisherman
04-23-2007, 08:38 PM
7 gill is all about salmon bellys right?
Angel island and towards the golden gate should be prime spots
zack--tell us how you did
p.s.-chum the water-

Eric_csus14
04-23-2007, 10:01 PM
A friend of mine works for a butcher and is giving me 10 pounds of rotten beef. I'm going to throw on a giant steak on a big hook and toss it out there. Come on, something HAS to be interested in a big fillet mignon.
Ill let you all know how it goes Saturday.
Good luck Zack, we'll both be learning together, ill let you know how my meat marvel does.
-Eric