PDA

View Full Version : I need some help picking out a Rod & Reel

wcslingers
04-22-2007, 12:13 PM
Hey guys i need some help. Im going out on a pot luck trip in May. Im looking to get a Rod & Reel to use on those Butts and Stripers. I would also like to use it for Salmon fishing in the Ocean. So basically im looking for a Rod & Reel i could use in the Ocean and Bay. I dont want to spend over $200.

Thanks

FinshingSW
04-22-2007, 12:34 PM
Cabela's has some great combos, look for the fish eagle II combo, with the cabelas branded high end reel, look closely guys, it looks alot like a much more exspensive japanese reel. The 9' rod is great for salmon, but a bit to slow for bumping roe, crawlers for steelhead, would be perfect for plugging for stripers.

+ So much cheaper, people speak english, located in america

- not local, can't see what you have got till you get it, yeah pictures are great but not always adequate

my 2cents

derrickweldon
04-22-2007, 01:22 PM
I would say get the 7' Ugly Stick Tiger Rod BWC2201($55.99) and a Penn 320GT2($92.99), spooled with some 20 or 25 lb. test you should be good to go. Both those prices are from cabelas.com. I have this set up and it works great for salmon and rockfish in the ocean and stripers and sturgeon in the delta.

Good Luck

ZACK
04-22-2007, 01:58 PM
I would say get the 7' Ugly Stick Tiger Rod BWC2201($55.99) and a Penn 320GT2($92.99), spooled with some 20 or 25 lb. test you should be good to go. *Both those prices are from cabelas.com. *I have this set up and it works great for salmon and rockfish in the ocean and stripers and sturgeon in the delta.

Good Luck

Nice set up for Sturgeon but a bit of a meat stick for Stripers and butts.
You can buy two poles and fish them anywhere in our local area. For Sturgeon you can buy what is mentioned above and for Bay Stripers, butts, salmon, leopard sharks and coastal rock fish you can buy a 7 foot cal mooching rod by lemiglass attached to a Shimano Calcutta, Corsica, or Abu level wind reel, etc and spool it up with 10 to 15 lb mono or braid. I like fast gear ratios. 6.1 , or better.

Uglystik also makes a cheapie 7 foot mooching rod with a real light action on the upper 3rd of the pole but with a lot of back bone for fighting, or should I say fatiguing fish. If you are going to primarily fish "party boats" go with mono as you will get tangled from time to time and it is easy to untangle.

My 2 pennies, ZACK!

FF_MYRL
04-22-2007, 02:01 PM
I would second the ugly stick with penn 320 combo (I use the lever drag models). The main difference on pole selection between the ugly sticks are how fish for salmon (downriggers , sinker release, or mooching). If you are not using a sinker release you can go with a light ugly stick. If you are using a sinker release I would get the medium ugly stick.

Rodney

dukedempsey
04-22-2007, 06:40 PM
you can get the penn 320gt with a penn fathom master dr rod 8'6" for less then a 100 bucks at boatersworld.com sign up for a goggle account and get another 10 bucks off. pretty good for the price make sure you look under the combo outfits

heres a direct link they still have the goggle offer ive got 4 of these, one 5 years old they hold up pretty good better order soon if you want it.... takes a couple weeks

http://www.boatersworld.com/product/477836738.htm?bct=t13037503%3Bcifishing%3Bcirod-reel-combo%3Bcidownrigger-combos

keciga1
04-22-2007, 07:28 PM
For a rod I would recomend a Shimano Trevala. It's light enoug for fishing the bay for halibut and stripers but strong enough to handle salmon and rockfishing out the gate. The reel is a bit more difficult since for halibut you want something light enough that you can hold all day but strong enouh to troll for salmon. If you're willing to spend arround $50 more over your limit then you could get the Shimano Tekota. The rod will run you arround $100 and the reel will be arround $150.

Ivan

isosteel
04-23-2007, 07:10 AM
I like the ugly stick/ penn combo too but prefer a little bit lighter action. *I just picked up an ugly stick tiger bwc 2200 Med Lt. (12-30lb) and a penn 321 GTi (lefty). *I plan to use it primarily for salmon and rockfish...hopefully halibut too. *I got that set up and spooled it with line (20lb) for about $175. *I believe this would be a nice all around set up for your purposes as well. *Personally, I can't wait to get it in the water. :)

ZACK
04-23-2007, 09:55 AM
I like the ugly stick/ penn combo too but prefer a little bit lighter action. *I just picked up an ugly stick tiger bwc 2200 Med Lt. (12-30lb) and a penn 321 GTi (lefty). *I plan to use it primarily for salmon and rockfish...hopefully halibut too. *I got that set up and spooled it with line (20lb) for about $175. *I believe this would be a nice all around set up for your purposes as well. *Personally, I can't wait to get it in the water. :)

The ugly stick tiger bwc 2200 Med Lt. (12-30lb) is the perfect on for sturgeon! The others are too stiff. Over kill.

For Halibut use any set up you would see a guide back bounceing roe with or back trolling quick fish on the sac. I like tackle make for black bass fishing. If you go too heavy you'll take all the fun out of live bait fishing. My 2 pennies, ZACK!

wmgraphics
04-23-2007, 10:15 AM
Reel- I use the 6600D6 12/245 which a bought off ebay for 60 bucks new, compared to 109.00 retail.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Abu-Garcia-6600D6-Baitcaster-Reel_W0QQitemZ180091035008QQihZ008QQcategoryZ10815 3QQcmdZViewItem

Rod- I use is a South Bend trophy tamer 8'6" is just an all-around great rod for $50.00 or so. Do a search on the net you'll find all kinds of good things about it, but finding one, that is the tuff part.
With this combo I can cast a mile and still have plenty of sensativity for small plastics and lots of back bone to turn those big fish.

Besides that, I'd go with a ugly stick, I own like 6 and love 'em all.

sunracer1957
04-23-2007, 10:25 AM
Another option and a very sweet set up in your price range is.

Lamiglass Classic Glass 15-30lb rated rod approx $90.00 paired with a Diawa Sealion LC27 approx $90.00

This set up is a do all set up. Great for Butts and Striper, Killer for Salmon either OTW or running lead ( pulling 2lb balls no problems ) this rod will load up on a rigger very nice. Plus the line counter on the Diawa is worth its weight in gold .my .02....RD

ZACK
04-23-2007, 03:31 PM
Another option and a very sweet set up in your price range is.

Lamiglass Classic Glass 15-30lb rated rod approx $90.00 paired with a Diawa Sealion LC27 approx $90.00

This set up is a do all set up. Great for Butts and Striper, Killer for Salmon either OTW or running lead ( pulling 2lb balls no problems ) this rod will load up on a rigger very nice. Plus the line counter on the Diawa is worth its weight in gold .my .02....RD

Sounds again great for Sturgeon, trolling for salmon, etc. But for halibut you don't want to go that heavy unless you are using commercial techniques like trolling 1 pound balls, etc.

Basically you need two rods. One for Sturgeon and trolling salmon and a lighter one for stripers and halibut.

My 2 pennies. Have some fun out there and leave the meat stix at home when fishing for bass and butts.

ZACK! :o

sunracer1957
04-23-2007, 03:55 PM
Well for Butts its worked just fine for me and no problems what so ever pulling lite gear!!! It is a great all around set up if you don't want to go with two rods ;)

wcslingers
04-23-2007, 05:36 PM
Hey guys thanks for the help. I found a few rods that i like. Do you all think these will fit my needs

http://sitespect.nav.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=Related_IPL_121761&id=002292511825 7a&navCount=7&podId=0022925&parentId=&masterpathid =&navAction=jump&catalogCode=IH&rid=&parentType=&i ndexId=cat350027&hasJS=true
D862HVY 8'6" Trolling/Planer Board Heavy

OR

http://sitespect.nav.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=search&id=0044056121761a&navCount= 8&podId=0044056&parentId=&masterpathid=&navAction= jump&catalogCode=IH&rid=&parentType=&indexId=cat35 0027&hasJS=true
TXSXXXIV 8'6" Trolling/Planer Board Medium
Which 1 would fit my needs???
Thanks Guys.