PDA

View Full Version : Amador Jan 3rd, and 4th

yonnr2000
01-04-2012, 11:10 PM
I fished Lake Amador on Tuesday trolling the usual combo of a pearl grub with a chartreuse power egg with very little success. Only 1 fish with that combo. I've been experimenting lately with the mustad slow death hook and had some success with it. It has been out fishing the usual power grubs for me. I used pearl white trout worms and live night crawlers with the slow death hook for 11 take downs and 7 fish landed. The largest one was 7 pounds. Other people I talked to had a hard time with the grubs but managed to catch fish using the power worms. One boat had almost a double limit trolling live night crawlers with the cow bell flashers. Fishing was not wide open, but was decent. I saw a lot of people catching fish. Surface activity was minimal.

Today I took my 3 year son out on the water for his first time at lake amador. When I put the first fish in the boat my son was so scared of the fish he almost climbed out of the boat! The fishing was tough today. I didn't even bother putting out the grubs and I went straight to the live night crawlers with the slow death hook. I put a seps mini micro flasher in front of the night crawler and had the first fish in the boat after 5 minutes of trolling. I thought it was going to be a great day but I didn't get another hit on that set up. In three hours of trolling, I had 5 take downs and 3 fish landed. 2 fish on the night crawlers with the slow death hook, and one on a power mouse (pink head, white tail). I didn't see a single fish caught by the other boaters or bankers. I'm sure they did catch some but I didn't witness any being caught. I talked to one guy at the fish cleaning station who said he caught nine, banking it at the mouth of Donney Bay using power bait.

CRABBY
01-05-2012, 07:18 AM
Yonnr,Glad to see someone can still catch fish at Amador,:D..thanks for a great post an update,your details an locations may help someone here to think out of the box an go slay em.Did your son ever get used to the fish flopping around the boat?Makes for a good visual :D.
Well you have probably got many thinkin about going back to Amador an trying again,LOL.
An for the latest info from Amador,they say they are planting about 800#s per day many of them 4#s plus, 4/5 days a week,many here have been skunked or close to it,reports of fish bumping into boats,FF's show tons of fish,all over,sounds like somebody just needs to figure out what they want to eat an go for it.
The fish are there it's just not as easy as it has been,people have got spoiled,to many easy limits an not enough thinkin to get them.:D Just my armchair opinion :action-smiley-077:.
Good luck out there guys .........Don

RHansen95693
01-05-2012, 08:46 AM
I've been experimenting lately with the mustad slow death hook and had some success with it.

Educate me please..... never heard of the "mustad slow death hook!"

Hansen

CATKILLER
01-05-2012, 09:59 AM
I think somgguy is right, the fish are there you just need to server up the right meal,
only problem is you could go broke servering up new meals at Amador price's:wallbash:

Jfitalia
01-05-2012, 10:33 AM
Educate me please..... never heard of the "mustad slow death hook!"

Hansen

its a standard straight hook with a kink in it to make it move different without a dodger. Ive been doing it for years with hooks for grubs

CRABBY
01-05-2012, 12:49 PM
I think somgguy is right, the fish are there you just need to server up the right meal,
only problem is you could go broke servering up new meals at Amador price's:wallbash:That is a problem,maybe you guys could apply for some stimulus money to help support the fishing community!!
Ya never know :129fs238648:.......Don

yonnr2000
01-05-2012, 07:55 PM
Here's a link to the mustad website
Slow Death Hooks Mustad (http://www.mustad.no/www2010/?page_id=3498)

When you thread your worm onto the hook make sure your worm has a slight bend in it, almost an L shape. Pinch off the worm about an inch after the hook exits the worm. For a size 1 hook, I used about half a nightcrawler,. If the worm is too straight, there is very little action. Check the action of the worm in the water next to the boat before dropping it back, you want to see a slow twirling motion. I did catch a couple of fish while I was letting out line. The night crawler was not moving forward and was in a slow sink. That's how I caught the 7 pounder. So I guess, you can have some success fly-lining a crawler too. It probably simulates their natural forage that they have eaten all their life, which is a slow sinking brown pellet.

Good luck to everyone!

Ronny