PDA

View Full Version : oxbow

finsane
01-05-2012, 09:58 PM
I was looking for some info on oxbow res. in the foresthill area, I haven't been there before but I have heard good things about it from a couple of non sniffers and was interested what everyone else thought of it.:readinghelp0wn: Thanks in advance.:duh:

scnt junky
01-06-2012, 05:57 AM
Finsane I have never fished it but have also heard some good things about it. Maybe another sniffer will chime in and give a little more details. Might have to drive out there this weekend and scout it out...

CRABBY
01-06-2012, 07:28 AM
Hi ya Bill you may want to give Mark Damron a shout,he lives up there an may have some info,also he's on both boards....Don

americainR_guy
01-06-2012, 01:23 PM
I have fished this lake many many times. it is a very small lake!!!! Bank fishing is limited, and if you fish the river section of it, remember it is a river area and not the lake area. I once saw someone get sited for fishing out of season in the river area, you can fish the river part nowadays, but its barbless and 0 limit this time of year. In a boat after about 2 hours you will get bored as there is not much room to troll and it is sometimes 4x4 to launch in the steep rocky launch. It can be very shallow in areas!!! So keep your eye on the depthfinder and the water ahead of you if it is clear enough to see the bottom. Usually the depth runs from 9ft to 25ft when it is full in the channel. There is a small population of "WILD" browns and rainbows, nothing big, except the sqawfish that can reach up to 10#s. Since they are WILD trout I always like to CnR them!! 8-) Take note you can drive all the way there and it can sometimes be too low to boat in if they released water. Good luck if you go! :-)

Here is on from last Spring. Typical size or smaller.

http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/5540/hellholeoxbowpuppy016.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/811/hellholeoxbowpuppy016.jpg/)
Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

dirty530
01-06-2012, 03:51 PM
@americainR_guy: Nice brownie!

Oxbow sucks!!! small lake, little access and a relatively low population of decent size fish. the water's SUPER low right now and has been since October. the whole lake is pretty much a river right now (has riffles + flowing water) so you're going to be limited to a small section of the lake, unless you go barbless. wouldn't recommend going up there right now or anytime if you're trying to catch more than a few 10-13 inchers. take me and americainR_guy's advice, this lake is WEEEAK!!! plus the few fish in there are wild, so releasing is always appreciated :)

*and just so you fellow fishsniffers know, a river ends/lake begins where there is NO signs of moving water and this beginning point can change depending on the water level. i found this out by emailing DFG

scnt junky
01-06-2012, 08:44 PM
The pics look good Thanks for the info think Ill checkit out down the road...

finsane
01-07-2012, 11:24 PM
Thanks to everybody, I really appreciate the input. I think I'll wait until the water brings it to a decent level later this spring:thumbsup:

americainR_guy
01-08-2012, 08:05 PM
The time of year has nothing to with when the lake is full or not. When Dirty went to Oxbow it was low, well today it was full. it's just a matter if they release water or not. it is unperdicable!

dirty530
01-08-2012, 11:02 PM
The time of year has nothing to with when the lake is full or not. When Dirty went to Oxbow it was low, well today it was full. it's just a matter if they release water or not. it is unperdicable!

wow!!! that's amazing it's full again! i really need to look around for a pic i took a few months ago, there was barely any water at all, the only part that was technically a lake was a nasty brown pond next to the dam. i assumed there still wasn't any water due to the lack of decent rain. guess hell hole got drained.

still that place sucks for consistent, decent size fish.

Codger One
01-09-2012, 11:15 AM
My input on Oxbow is a little different, take it or leave it. What you wont find there is a consistent fishery for planter rainbows however oxbow is on the middle fork fed by both french meadows and hell hole. Granted it does offer some slow days of fishing but it also offers quiet beautiful scenery and a chance at some very nice browns. These fish will fight you tooth and nail and the middle fork of the american is known to have some large mean rogue browns roaming around. I personally will take a day of catching one to a few of these fish over a bag of planters. Its not a place to go if your looking to break a slump or lots of action but there is the thrill of trophy hunting and grabbing a few fish that will leave you craving more. My experience there seems different than other sniffers but i for one am a fan of the place. Remember the browns caught here truly are amazing fish so c&r is always a good way to go! :)

americainR_guy
01-09-2012, 04:24 PM
wow!!! that's amazing it's full again! i really need to look around for a pic i took a few months ago, there was barely any water at all, the only part that was technically a lake was a nasty brown pond next to the dam. i assumed there still wasn't any water due to the lack of decent rain. guess hell hole got drained.

still that place sucks for consistent, decent size fish.

Here is a pic from yesterday, water was so cold it hurt my hand after about 10 seconds in it, but my dog didn't care! lol.

http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/2676/0108121441.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/685/0108121441.jpg/)

Trophy trout? Well I guess it depends on what you consider a trophy. Last year I was up there and the lake was low like a river such as Dirty said with just a puddle at the dam, I fished the length of it all and I didn't see anything that could of been over 3#s except some sucker/sqaw fish. I did find some lures. I have done this about half a dozen times over the years and have never seen any trout that were impressive. My PB here is just over 3#s a few years ago. All that's here is some scattered 9 to 18 inchers. Basicaly the amount of trout depends on whatever gets washed into it from the river and then grows until they get caught by anglers. I think this place is kinda like a locals(Foresthill/M. Bluff) fresh trout market and so nothing can get very big. I always see powerbait litter the shores :-( , which is funny to me, because dough bait is primarly for planted trout and there isn't any in there! I also found again litter below the dam, a bunch of fishing line all over the place and worm containers!!! :mad::mad::mad:

Codger One
01-09-2012, 05:33 PM
Well I guess it does depend on what you call a trophy and i believe there is a chance for one there due the lakes that feed it and the larger trout that have come out of the middle fork that came down that very route. last year my friend caught a 4lb brown out of there though, it was a very nice fish, not a trophy but well worth a day of fishing. I do agree though that its not a great lake to make a big trip for but if your somewhat close to the area i still say its worth a shot.

dirty530
01-09-2012, 07:08 PM
@americainR_guy: thanks for sharing the pic. it never ceases to amaze me how much water levels can fluctuate.

@Codger One: all i'm saying is Oxbow and above (n.f. of the middle fork, and the rubicon) are not great fisheries. they have relatively low amounts of bigger fish and fishing Oxbow can be like looking for a needle in a hay stack. i'd compare Oxbow and above to the s.f. above slab creek reservoir; you'll catch some fish but it isn't like downstream..

Codger One
01-09-2012, 08:39 PM
fair enough, im sure you have more experience there than I do. I do like the place but there are plenty better out there. I think im partial to fisheries where its more common to hook up with a brown than any other species :)

finsane
01-09-2012, 09:24 PM
Thanks again guys.