PDA

View Full Version : Pedro/Melones 1/4/12

TAZMAN64
01-06-2012, 12:08 PM
Me and my brother headed to D.P., When we got to mocousin we saw a lot of fish riseing and jumping. When it got lite enough we saw they were CARP !!! fished for a hour with nothing, so i decided to make a move early, we went to the wards ferry bridge which is not far as the crow flys but to drive, it takes about a hour. You have to drive down a one lain goat trail, and when we got there the water was so low we would of had a log walk down another goat trail with all are gear. I wanted to give it shot but my brother would not attemt it, So now what??? We decide to go to Melones (Tuttletown), which meens another long drive, we got there around 11:00 a.m. by that time i was not in a very good mood, i knew we got there at a bad time and ive already been driving for over 4 hours and have only had my line wet for all of an hour. Well it just got worse for me, i got snagged 4-5 times and lost everything eachtime. My brother managed 2 in 3 1/2 hours. All i had to look forward to was another long ride home!!! But there were some good parts, while i was driving all over the state we saw:
a herd of 15 plus dear
100 wild turkeys
7-10 peacocks
one bad A#$ Bobcat
and a lot of other critters, so all in all it was way better than working!!! LOL. Im sure we will be heading back there next week, but this time we will get there early. Steve

RideNfish
01-06-2012, 12:20 PM
Thanks for posting Steve. Sorry it didn't work out as planned but it just makes next time more efficient. I sure would like to hear of some success on Don Pedro from the bank or boat.

Oh, I want a recount on the 100 turkeys. That's an awful even number. :)

Cheers

Marv
01-06-2012, 12:35 PM
Dang man sorry for skunk but like you said, beats work any day. What part of Tuttletown were you guys fishing?

If you plan on going again i'll share my spot where i've been having luck at. I have yet to lose a rig to MS. MELONES (KNOCK ON WOOD) Just let me know and ill pm you the spot.

Next time just go straight to Melones :) like most places dawn is when the most action is, but i goes in waves. It will be a fish frenzy and then did for a couple hrs. In the slow times i chuck water bobber.

Marv
01-06-2012, 12:46 PM
Oh yeah, did you see the bobcat @ Melones? I've been seeing one hanging out around Tuttletown boat ramp/trailer parking area. Last time i sat for about 10mins. and watched him :)

Don't know if it was true or not but a local man was telling me that he almost hit a moutain lion in his boat, the lion was swimming to an island and eating goose babies. I have seen pics of a small pride of moutain lions @ Melones

TAZMAN64
01-06-2012, 01:43 PM
Oh yeah, did you see the bobcat @ Melones? I've been seeing one hanging out around Tuttletown boat ramp/trailer parking area. Last time i sat for about 10mins. and watched him :)

Don't know if it was true or not but a local man was telling me that he almost hit a moutain lion in his boat, the lion was swimming to an island and eating goose babies. I have seen pics of a small pride of moutain lions @ Melones We saw the bobcat on wards ferry road, when we were leaving d.p. It ran right along side of us then crossed the road no more than 30 ft from us. Man i love seeing stuff like that.

TAZMAN64
01-06-2012, 01:44 PM
Thanks for posting Steve. Sorry it didn't work out as planned but it just makes next time more efficient. I sure would like to hear of some success on Don Pedro from the bank or boat.

Oh, I want a recount on the 100 turkeys. That's an awful even number. :)

Cheers LOL!! O.K. 100 plus in 4 diferant flocks.

TAZMAN64
01-06-2012, 01:50 PM
Dang man sorry for skunk but like you said, beats work any day. What part of Tuttletown were you guys fishing?

If you plan on going again i'll share my spot where i've been having luck at. I have yet to lose a rig to MS. MELONES (KNOCK ON WOOD) Just let me know and ill pm you the spot.

Next time just go straight to Melones :) like most places dawn is when the most action is, but i goes in waves. It will be a fish frenzy and then did for a couple hrs. In the slow times i chuck water bobber. Yeah, we are going up monday morning EARLY. We fished right at tutletown, the area that has the barricades all the way on the right hand side. There were about 5 cars when we got there but in 1 1/2 hours we were the only ones there. Saw a lot of fish riseing but didnt like any of my buggers. My brother caught one on P.B. and one on buggers. We saw one guy on the left end catch 3 on bait. If you got a good spot or any info i would apreciate it. Steve

Steve079
01-06-2012, 04:13 PM
Old Wards Ferry road is a nasty one, and you don't want to encounter oncoming traffic in a few places. Makes Camp Nine road look like an interstate. :smiley:

CRABBY
01-06-2012, 05:04 PM
Steve don't ya just lov it when a plan comes together :wallbash:..LOL.Man that was a lot of driving.
Kinda curious about the wards ferry you were talkin about,did you go thru the town of Tuolumne to get to it or pick up wards ferry rd.off Tuolumne rd.I was raised up there an spent a lot of time at wards ferry but even during low water you could drive right to it on the old hi-way,in the 70's we would take our rafts out there after running down the Tuolumne river.I haven't been back down there for 20 some years but was just curious if things have changed that much,or we're talkin about a diff.wards ferry.
Nice post anyway,you an Chris should get together.LOL....Don

AngelosPop
01-06-2012, 06:53 PM
Nice post anyway,you an Chris should get together.LOL....Don

I am wearing off on him!

Sorry bout the bad luck Steve.

TAZMAN64
01-06-2012, 07:20 PM
Steve don't ya just lov it when a plan comes together :wallbash:..LOL.Man that was a lot of driving.
Kinda curious about the wards ferry you were talkin about,did you go thru the town of Tuolumne to get to it or pick up wards ferry rd.off Tuolumne rd.I was raised up there an spent a lot of time at wards ferry but even during low water you could drive right to it on the old hi-way,in the 70's we would take our rafts out there after running down the Tuolumne river.I haven't been back down there for 20 some years but was just curious if things have changed that much,or we're talkin about a diff.wards ferry.
Nice post anyway,you an Chris should get together.LOL....Don Hey Don, We took a mess of back roads from mocousin flat, when we left we came out on tuolumne rd. There is a newer bridge (not sure if its been there 20 years), but you can still see the footing from the old bridge which is much closer to the water. People still launch yaks and rafts there, i could have made the walk down but my brother couldnt. It would have been a bit of a challenge but it could be done. Everytime ive fished D.P. its been from a boat in that arm and we have alway's caught tons of trout ( bows/browns) all on salmon eggs. Thats why it was worth the drive (to me) I realy would have liked to give it a try, but i couldnt tell my bro to stay in the car why i go fishing. LOL!!

CRABBY
01-06-2012, 07:43 PM
Well sounds like the same bridge,especially with the narrow crummy rd..LOL you sure took the long way to get there an too bad it's not the same set up where you could just drive down to it,oh well,your right though about fishin that area,we use to put my canoe/yak combo in there full of camping gear an head down river an camp an fish all over,back then you'd never see anybody but rattlers an tons of fish!!!Progress sucks!!!
SteveO gave ya a tip ya may wanna follow it as hes livin up there an is currant on everything,guess I need to get back over there an do some sightseeing,plus Granny only lives about 15 min's from wards ferry!!!
Better luck next time .........Don.....+ 1 on the salmon eggs...Red balls of fire

TAZMAN64
01-06-2012, 10:40 PM
Old Wards Ferry road is a nasty one, and you don't want to encounter oncoming traffic in a few places. Makes Camp Nine road look like an interstate. :smiley: Thats a fact, I kept praying that nobody was coming up as i was going down. LOL!! Its a awesome place once you get there.

TAZMAN64
01-06-2012, 10:44 PM
Well sounds like the same bridge,especially with the narrow crummy rd..LOL you sure took the long way to get there an too bad it's not the same set up where you could just drive down to it,oh well,your right though about fishin that area,we use to put my canoe/yak combo in there full of camping gear an head down river an camp an fish all over,back then you'd never see anybody but rattlers an tons of fish!!!Progress sucks!!!
SteveO gave ya a tip ya may wanna follow it as hes livin up there an is currant on everything,guess I need to get back over there an do some sightseeing,plus Granny only lives about 15 min's from wards ferry!!!
Better luck next time .........Don.....+ 1 on the salmon eggs...Red balls of fire I love that area, thats where we saw most of the wildlife, I need to get up there more often we use to go all the time but things change, and sadly not for the better in a lot of cases. steve

CRESTLINER 08
01-07-2012, 12:08 AM
wow, what a adventure maybe skunkador is not so bad.......