PDA

View Full Version : Melones Jan 6. Yes with [PICS of fish]

RideNfish
01-07-2012, 06:18 PM
Are we sick of Melones reports yet? I think not!

I wasn't going to fish today but my neighbor wanted to hit the banks of Melones. Three days of fishing this week. Poor me. :) I know I just posted pics in Shatguns post but that was on a boat. Here we have a bank report.

I was a guest on this trip so not an early start. We got lines in the water around 07:00. When we got to Tuttletown AMAZINGLY there were like five cars! This is a Saturday we are talking about. I was shocked. :yikes:

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o14/ScreaminRK/Fishing%20Stuff/IMG_1375.jpg

We set up on the left side of the ramp next to a guy already fishing. He had caught two nice ones (16" or so) already. He said he used chartreuse PB. So my neighbor and his friend set up and throw out some Pb to get started. I walked a ways down thinking we should spread out in case one area is hotter then we could all move there. I throw out a chartreuse pb (no sense re-inventing the wheel) and let it set. Well for some of you that are familiar with me and what worked last time was something I had to commit to. So I started casting out my purple wooly. About 10 mins go by and my pb rod yanks hard. I get over to it and the fish was gone. Thought for sure he/she would of hooked themselves on that yank. But noooooo! Cast the same back out again and in a few minutes my wine cork indicator jumped up and I grabbed the rod. This time fish is on. It was a nice fat 14" or so and on the stringer he went. My neighbor wanted fish to smoke you see.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o14/ScreaminRK/Fishing%20Stuff/IMG_1376.jpg

Just for the record this is the last activity my bait rod would see. I tried a few colors of pb and even a night crawler with marshmallow for nothing!!! Thank God for my purple magic. After a bit I get my first fish on my wooly. Not very big on most but nice none the less. Wooly in it's mouth for proof.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o14/ScreaminRK/Fishing%20Stuff/IMG_1377.jpg

I released the next two that were a bit small then caught this pretty fish that was a good pan trout. Of course I leave all purple woolies in mouth for pics.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o14/ScreaminRK/Fishing%20Stuff/IMG_1379.jpg

I had my neighbor set up throwing a black wooly and he never got a bite. He worked it pretty hard too. I was a bit surprised. I felt bad for him and his buddy since then ended the day with not one bite between them. I tried to get them on the fish but just didn't happen.

A father son team name Tom and Mathew were fishing next to me. The son kept telling his dad, "He's got another one." Again I felt bad and they were both fun to talk to. I set his son up with a water bobber and an olive/black wooly to try to get them on the fish. I had him stand next to me and cast my most productive spot. I set his dad up on a bubble and crawler, also gave them marshmallows to float them on one rod. Mathew the son liked my worm threader so he used that to. I DID WHAT I COULD TO GET THEM INTO FISH. I'm sorry to say it didn't work out. I even told the son Mathew that if my bait rod went down it was his responsibility to get it and land the fish. No luck... :(

The bite was dying off for my purple magic but at about 11:30 I throw a long cast and let it sink a bit. Started my very slow retrieve and then I get a hit that slammed my rod and took a bit of line at the same time (remeber I'm on 2lb test so drag is a bit loose). I could tell this fish was much better. He kept taking line and managed to get into my bait rod line twice. I could only put so much force on him with the light tackle. I fight him for a bit and finally start to tire him out. I was sure he was going to spit the hook the way he was thrashing around close to shore. I let him go back out to deeper water where he couldn't do that until he was pooped. It was a very fat and mean fighting 18½ incher. No scale but I would say a solid 2½ lb fish. Was a blast on the light rod and line.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o14/ScreaminRK/Fishing%20Stuff/IMG_1381.jpg

Yep purple magic in his mouth.

That would be the last fish of the day. I did throw a pink trout worm behind my bubble for 3 HNS (hit no stick) but could not hook up. We left at 13:00 and I was the only one with fish. I would of traded a few for others but didn't work out. One more pic of my big one at a different angle. The father Tom next to me was nice enough to take the shot.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o14/ScreaminRK/Fishing%20Stuff/IMG_1382.jpg

The numbers:
1 HNS and ! landed on pb
8 landed on purple magic and many missed hits.

An incredible day and very nice weather as you can see. I am lucky to have fished 3 days this week and spend some time with Schatgun on his boat. Thanks to all my sniffer buds and until next time, Fish on!

:cheers1:

AngelosPop
01-07-2012, 06:33 PM
Nice job Rnf! Great report as always!

HMONG_James_Vang
01-07-2012, 06:36 PM
hmm... wife says it's time to plan to trip to melones

Marv
01-07-2012, 07:44 PM
:signfishon34hi6zv: Sweet, did you fish the magic spot, lol. It looks like it. Every time we fish that spot the people on both sides of us get huffy cause that spot is GOOD.

Purple is the color i guess, because black has done nada for me as well every time there. I wish i would of had time to stop off @ Bass Pro and get some today :)

Double thumbs up for sharing your time and skill to try and put others on fish. As always thanks for the pics and sharing the good times.

Steve079
01-07-2012, 07:53 PM
No wonder they call you the "Bank Manager"! That was a great read, about a great day! Thanks for the report 'n pic's.

AngelosPop
01-07-2012, 08:19 PM
Purple is the color i guess, because black has done nada for me as well every time there. I wish i would of had time to stop off @ Bass Pro and get some today :)

BB,

You might want to call them first...... I grabbed a few buggers last time I was there for extras. All I remember is Olive, Black, and Brown, sized from 6-10... :confused2:

Unless you've seen them there before. :confused2:

Marv
01-07-2012, 08:47 PM
Do you guys know of a good online fly shop?

AngelosPop
01-07-2012, 08:57 PM
Let me google that for you (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=purple+wolly+bugger)

Never used this :yikes: Figured I'd give it a try.............. Just play'in with ya :)

Kyle Wise
01-07-2012, 09:21 PM
Great read!!! It's the thought that counts for the little guy, stand up thing to due for him. Great job.

Duckmanhoov
01-07-2012, 10:16 PM
Sweet, nice job Doug :bananachaga:weather looks like its not going to change soon, might be a lot more fishing than hunting.

AngelosPop check out The Fly Shop

schatgun
01-07-2012, 10:26 PM
Doug, great report.... I feel special that you called and gave me the report personally.... I did enjoy reading about it too though. Nice pics.... Melones is legit.

Look on ebay for wooly buggers.... You get the most for your buck... And they have lots to choose from... Only problem is you gotta wait for them to arrive.... No instant gratification...

GNappers
01-07-2012, 10:31 PM
Man I wish Melones was closer. Sure would hate to drive that far and be one of the guys watching and not catching. Great report as always, I wonder if other fisherman were using too heavy of leaders.

serge
01-07-2012, 10:58 PM
Doug you've officially done it, convinced me into going out there this week for sure!!!!! love the report especially the pics :)

RideNfish
01-08-2012, 06:31 AM
I wonder if other fisherman were using too heavy of leaders.

I don't think that was the case. My dad did well on his 4 lb leader a week ago. I do think that it makes a difference though. I was getting more fish and hits than my dad by about 25% or so. We were throwing the same set up on the same point so might have shown that the 2 lb did a bit better.

A reminder to everyone wanting out there. It was a SLOW day of fishing for everyone around me that I could see. I had four people skunk around me and one guy with two fish. What I'm trying to say is the fishing was NOT hot. I got lucky. But I had the reverse happen a couple weeks ago. I caught very few and saw full stringers leaving. THAT my friends is FISHING.. hehe

Now I did see a boat come to the cleaning station with 15 fish. Not one under 17" or so and up to about 22-ish. They were all gorgeous holdovers. Of course he wasn't willing to share info. :(

Peace out,

CRABBY
01-08-2012, 07:26 AM
:clap::clap:Great post Doug,nice fish an pics.
What really stands out is the attempt you made to put complete strangers on fish,rigging them up,showing them all you knew an giving all you had inc your spot an gear,to me this this type of sharing attitude is what separates a true Fisherman an human being from the rest,whether it be on the bank or from a boat.
Fortunately for us we have a ton of people here like that,willing to give all the details to help others up to an including boat rides to fish an learn from....Congratulations Again....Don

PapaGreg
01-08-2012, 07:39 AM
RnF-I was there Wedensday, looks like pretty close to the spot you're at. Had three bites there, one on PB, one on a night crawler under a bobber and one on an olive wooly behind the WB, but no hook-ups. I too had one of those hits that I thought sure must of hooked itself, but no!!!!!!

I moved over to the cove across from the parking lot and restroom around 10, caught one fish within ten minutes on Pb and thought I would have success, but alas, nada!!!!!!!
I had one bite on the WB, but nothing else.

Great job getting others set-up with stuff they might not be familiar with.

Hoping to be there sometime this week, banking it, probably the same spot.

CATKILLER
01-08-2012, 08:01 AM
Do you guys know of a good online fly shop?

Try, flybydesign on ebay i get my flyes there.

GuyBrown
01-08-2012, 09:14 AM
RideNfish: Will you describe your spinning out fit for me, e.g. rod, line, any weight on your line, casting bubble, size of fly, etc? Congrats and thanks for your report.

JwG
01-08-2012, 10:02 AM
:clap::clap:Great post Doug,nice fish an pics.
What really stands out is the attempt you made to put complete strangers on fish,rigging them up,showing them all you knew an giving all you had inc your spot an gear,to me this this type of sharing attitude is what separates a true Fisherman an human being from the rest,whether it be on the bank or from a boat.
Fortunately for us we have a ton of people here like that,willing to give all the details to help others up to an including boat rides to fish an learn from....Congratulations Again....Don
+1
Yeah Baby,

Another FINE day for the ‘highwayman’!!!!
:fishing1:

Your angling skill is relentless. And that ‘Purple Magic’, she is a Muse to you.
Those are some nice looking fish and that FAT one. With #2 leader and #4 main that must have been sweet.

Great thread!!
Nice job out there. Your stories and pictures have been the bomb lately and rightfully so.
They are a good read, informative, factual, humble and frequent.
:trout:
How do you do it RnF?

Did you see or hear of any GB action?

Thanks for another informative and fun report with pictures.

AngelosPop
01-08-2012, 10:43 AM
AngelosPop check out The Fly Shop

Bass Boy wants them not me :) I just posted the link/joke in post #8.............

Steve079
01-08-2012, 11:26 AM
Look on ebay (http://www.ebay.com/) for wooly buggers.... You get the most for your buck.]

No kidding. At GHS there in Angels Camp, they are 2 bucks each. But, everytime I buy several of a "hot" lure, it seems to kill the bite on that particular one for months....:cheesy:

CRABBY
01-08-2012, 12:12 PM
No kidding. At GHS there in Angels Camp, they are 2 bucks each. But, everytime I buy several of a "hot" lure, it seems to kill the bite on that particular one for months....:cheesy:Yeah I hear that,problem is they don't tell the next 20 guys in line,which is always my luck...:smiley:....Don

KokeNut
01-09-2012, 02:32 PM
Hey RideNfish,
Nice job on those bows - you da man at N.M. from the bank. Great that you show, tell and help out other anglers on what works for you, truly a sports fisherman. Love reading your report and pixs. Hope to see you on the water sometime - till than - rod tip up and tight lines. Kokenut (Jeff). :salmon: