PDA

View Full Version : Merced Falls help?

TheGreatBasshole
01-08-2012, 01:18 PM
Hey guys,

This weekend we might take a small trip to Merced falls along the Merced River. I saw recent reports, and they look somewhat promising. We would be bait fishing, and would try to get there before sunrise. What type of river is it? (freestone like carsons and many mountain rivers or large like American and Stanislaus?) and would it be worth the two hour drive from my house?

Thanks all,
TGBH

RideNfish
01-08-2012, 01:55 PM
I don't know if it's worth that but I can't be the judge of what is worth it to you. It is usually a large flooded rush going thru there in the summer and now it's just a trickle in comparison. I would compare it to the Stan at high elevation. Not real big, lots of round river rock but not boulders or anything. It is a short stretch to fish not like a typical river. It's just a section between dams.

Just my opinion of course and you might get better info later in this thread. Good luck no matter where you go :)

Marv
01-08-2012, 01:59 PM
It can be good @ times. They like power eggs but will bite on the dough and the other normal trout stuff. Fishing can also be good at the bridge (i don't know the name of the road, sorry) its about a 1/2 mile before Mcswain dam. Park by the bridge and walk up river and cast were clearings in the brush allows. Also the dam discharge can be hot sometimes if you cast up and let a worm drift back down river.

The river is slate rock or what ever it's called it's the rock the breaks in sheets and can be snaggy in some spots. Good luck!

TheGreatBasshole
01-08-2012, 02:17 PM
I saw on the DFG that the merced river from the foresta bridge down to lake mcClure is open currently and is a 2 trout limit. I am curious as to if anyone knows of how well the river fishes this time of the year, and if there are anymore tips for this river.

RideNfish
01-08-2012, 02:54 PM
Sorry about my earlier response. I didn't know the upper section was open. I have never fished that. Only have ridden motorcycles along there :)

Might be fun place to fish. Please report how you do if you go.

This says it's open but you may double check with DFG
Merced River Fishing Map, The Fish Sniffer Online (http://www.fishsniffer.com/maps/merced.html)

Thanks,

crazyfisher
01-09-2012, 11:32 AM
is the merced fall the section of river before entering into Mc Swain/Mc Clure park?

I think I tried it last summer thinking it was McSwain for a little bit until I went further up the hill where I saw the pay booth leading into McSwain/McClure.

either way, good luck out there

TheGreatBasshole
01-09-2012, 03:39 PM
I believe it is right where the river flows out of the dam. Were goin there because we want to try river fishing with a good chance of a limit, and ive heard solid things about that location.

Marv
01-09-2012, 04:51 PM
Not bein' a jerk but it's anything but solid. For the most part it's a swollen river and not really stream/river fishing. Mcswain is a swollen river as well. They haven't planted for a while but should be dumping them in pretty soon, call the lake.

When the lake is freshly stocked some fish get shot through the dam and then Merced falls can be hot. If you want a better chance, go into Mcswain and fish it when it narrows as it nears the Mclure dam. Or go up to The inlet at Mclure, Bagby i think its called. Good luck where ever you roll out to.....

TheGreatBasshole
01-09-2012, 08:37 PM
Not bein' a jerk but it's anything but solid. For the most part it's a swollen river and not really stream/river fishing. Mcswain is a swollen river as well. They haven't planted for a while but should be dumping them in pretty soon, call the lake.

When the lake is freshly stocked some fish get shot through the dam and then Merced falls can be hot. If you want a better chance, go into Mcswain and fish it when it narrows as it nears the Mclure dam. Or go up to The inlet at Mclure, Bagby i think its called. Good luck where ever you roll out to.....

No jerky-ness was said here. We might just fish shadow cliffs again, we are having good luck there so far:bananachaga::bananachaga::bananachaga:

dilbeck
01-10-2012, 10:55 PM
When the lake is freshly stocked some fish get shot through the dam and then Merced falls can be hot.

While I can't speak regarding recent plant activity, say the last 5-7 years, but I know about 10 years ago they used to plant the river, below McSwain Dam.

I've even put a small 14' aluminum in there and trolled and done well.

I know people have done well at the bridge, but it has never produced for me. While on bank, I always fish at the base of the base of the dam.

Montauk
01-15-2012, 06:23 AM
I live in the Merced area and can tell you the guys who are replying about it being good at the base of the the McSwain dam are correct about it being the better spot. Recently MID had slowed the out going flow to do some maintenance on the dam so the "river" was just a trickle. Right now Bagby Rec Area on McClure is the hot spot. If you have a boat, troll with just about anything at about 20-50 ft down and you should get your limit. Granted the fish aren't monsters, but it is a good time. If you are bank fishing, I have seen guys using anchovies and doing well. As for McSwain, I know they stocked on 12/28. Good luck!

saizo
01-20-2012, 12:02 AM
yep the base of the dam is one of the best spots on the river my uncle and i used to catch fish off the bridge also. salmon eggs and a mellow or just eggs straight. i havent been out there for 5 years or so but ive seen them plant them off the bridge before. during the summer a couple miles downstream can be good for holdover bows in the riffles. we've caught them up to 4 pounds, and my dad caught a 10lb albino catfish off of crickets.

dilbeck
01-20-2012, 05:21 AM
during the summer a couple miles downstream can be good for holdover bows in the riffles. we've caught them up to 4 pounds, and my dad caught a 10lb albino catfish off of crickets.

Careful, pretty sure that section has special regs that include artificial lures & barbless hooks only.

sPooOOk
01-20-2012, 02:54 PM
Will me and my brother fished Merced Fall yesterday and it was pretty slow. However we did manage three rainbow about 2 pound a piece. And yeah the water is still low from the dam repair. I think I read somewhere in the paper that f&g and calaveras has begun to stock McSwain.

FresnoJack
01-27-2012, 03:44 PM
From Snelling, it is on the north side of the river, about where J16-Merced Falls Road and Hornitos Road meet.

I am just old enough to remember the area before McSwain Dam innudated the series of rapids that made up the "Falls".

Before my time, the rapids powered 2 saw mills. It was also a railroad stop for tourists to Yosemite until the Central Pacific moved the route.

I believe that the tunnel that appears at McClure at low water, was a part of the old route.

Sorry about my earlier response. I didn't know the upper section was open. I have never fished that. Only have ridden motorcycles along there :)

Might be fun place to fish. Please report how you do if you go.

This says it's open but you may double check with DFG
Merced River Fishing Map, The Fish Sniffer Online (http://www.fishsniffer.com/maps/merced.html)

Thanks,

SJPanfisher28
01-27-2012, 03:51 PM
I've fished at Merced Falls before, but not recently. The good spots are by the bridge and dam, but I would rather pay up to get to Mc Swain. Merced Falls isn't stocked too often though.