PDA

View Full Version : Alabama rig for trout

CRABBY
01-08-2012, 06:59 PM
Ok who's gonna be the first to try my idea out,useing a Alabama rig to troll for trout/koke's,couple of spinner or blade type lures on two of the farthest wires,run diff.length leaders to lures an hang hookless blades,PB,or whatever on the other three wires,could even hang on scent bags of pro cure or smelly jelly for a huge scent trail...Might work an it would be something diff.:idea16pe:...Don

schatgun
01-08-2012, 07:10 PM
Well I won't be the 1st to try....I have enough okie rigged stuff in my arsenal :biggrin:(LOL). But I am extremely curious to how it will work out and its level of results/productivity.

For those of you creative & patient enough to give it a shot....keep us all posted on how it works out.

Happy Fishing....

CRABBY
01-08-2012, 07:17 PM
Well I won't be the 1st to try....I have enough okie rigged stuff in my arsenal :biggrin:(LOL). But I am extremely curious to how it will work out and its level of results/productivity.

For those of you creative & patient enough to give it a shot....keep us all posted on how it works out.

Happy Fishing....Hopefully we can get Robbie to experiment with it....I mean come on "no gut's no glory"...:smile:..Don

AngelosPop
01-08-2012, 07:53 PM
Hopefully we can get Robbie to experiment with it....I mean come on "no gut's no glory"...:smile:..Don

The guy that asks the question should get out and try it out................ Just say'in :p :nana:

After I tried for stripers with the speader bar, I did actually go "Hmmmmmm"????????? :)

CRABBY
01-08-2012, 07:57 PM
The guy that asks the question should get out and try it out................ Just say'in :p :nana:

After I tried for stripers with the speader bar, I did actually go "Hmmmmmm"????????? :)LOL,so you have exp.in using this rig,GOOD.Thanks for stepping up chris.HEHE.............Don

AnglingWes
01-08-2012, 07:59 PM
Are there even trout in Alabama?

AngelosPop
01-08-2012, 08:18 PM
Spreader bar tain't no Bama rig Hahaha.

And with all the fish I have caught fishing solo do you really think you'd get a good/reliable answer to your question?

Heck, I could pay a scuba diver to hand attach fish to my hook, and the fish would miraculously spit the hook before I could net it.

You really ought to know better :moon: Hahahaha

RideNfish
01-08-2012, 08:25 PM
I'm a bank fisherman (except when Schatgun needs my two rod stamp haha) so no expert. Should someone look at the regs? Aren't there rules for number of hooks and such? I know to stay legal you can just have some of the lures without hooks.

Just thinking out loud which usually means I'm wrong and have no clue :)

CRABBY
01-08-2012, 08:53 PM
Spreader bar tain't no Bama rig Hahaha.

And with all the fish I have caught fishing solo do you really think you'd get a good/reliable answer to your question?

Heck, I could pay a scuba diver to hand attach fish to my hook, and the fish would miraculously spit the hook before I could net it.

You really ought to know better :moon: HahahahaChrs,your are perfect for the job,first thing we gotta see is if it trolls right,then if it get's tangled up bad,then is it a big pain to get out of the net,catchin fish will come later.:smiley::smiley:
Doug ya it would be legal with 2 lures with hooks an the rest just dummies..
Wes :grinn:.........
Chris once your done testing we can have Steve see about it's fish catching ability...........Don

AngelosPop
01-08-2012, 09:06 PM
Yeah, you do have a point there :clown: Hahahaha.

I'd be more than happy to take Steve out in my boat to test it, but he's gotten bit by my luck :( Then you have the problem that I am in the vicinity............

Would almost have to send it out for sterilizing (to get my anti-fish catching funk off it), packaging, and shipping to a third party, that has a proven track record of finding/catching fish.

So, should we apply for a grant from the federal government for our research and studies? I think 15 million ought to cover it, heck they can dump 5 million to study flea farts. I think this is a bit more important! :banana:

CRABBY
01-08-2012, 09:39 PM
Yeah, you do have a point there :clown: Hahahaha.

I'd be more than happy to take Steve out in my boat to test it, but he's gotten bit by my luck :( Then you have the problem that I am in the vicinity............

Would almost have to send it out for sterilizing (to get my anti-fish catching funk off it), packaging, and shipping to a third party, that has a proven track record of finding/catching fish.

So, should we apply for a grant from the federal government for our research and studies? I think 15 million ought to cover it, heck they can dump 5 million to study flea farts. I think this is a bit more important! :banana:Well on second thought maybe I should Have Cal do it,he can make a video of the whole thing an then sell them on the Sniffer,he'll jump on the opportunity for sure.
It will work trust me.just try an visualize it in action
Just a few bugs to iron out.
Gotta PM Cal......:smiley:.......Don

Koke Machine83
01-09-2012, 04:21 PM
1.) To much weight and stuff in the water for a kokanee rod...
2.) To many lures to confuse the kokanee...
3.) Even if you caught one, just think of the mess we would have...
4.) What kind of net would you need...
5.) Let's let Cal Do it, if he can do it, anyone can. Lol
6.) What if you got a double???
7.) Catch your limit to quick???
8.) Just might work for Trout???
9.) Like i need more tackle???
10.) Not Me!!!!

Robbie (Koke Machine)...

CRABBY
01-09-2012, 04:35 PM
1.) To much weight and stuff in the water for a kokanee rod...
2.) To many lures to confuse the kokanee...
3.) Even if you caught one, just think of the mess we would have...
4.) What kind of net would you need...
5.) Let's let Cal Do it, if he can do it, anyone can. Lol
6.) What if you got a double???
7.) Catch your limit to quick???
8.) Just might work for Trout???
9.) Like i need more tackle???
10.) Not Me!!!!

Robbie (Koke Machine)...LOL,yeah you might be right Robbie,guess what I'll do is tinker around with some stuff an try it on trout using a heavier rod,although a koke rod should work if only a spreader were used an light koke lures,I'll see,LOL probable end up like Chris an never catch anything except dredge the lake of debris,HA,maybe take up drinkin to help me along. :doc: :laugh:......Don

fishlipper
01-10-2012, 10:41 AM
How much hardware can I drag and still catch fish.....?

CRABBY
01-10-2012, 12:10 PM
How much hardware can I drag and still catch fish.....?:rotfl2:,not sure but guess I'll find out the hard way:rotfl2::rotfl2:...Heck the bass guys gotta cast the whole thing an they catch fish!!!!!!!!!!!........:a-fish:

hotdog
01-11-2012, 09:11 AM
I made some spreader rigs years ago for trout but never advertised it. When they came out with ultra-light flashers, the ideas started popping in my head about using them in a spread. Rather than using a "circular" alabama rig type of pattern, I made a flat spreader rig with the tiny flashers running in the center and baits on the outside. The difference being that I'm using short leaders instead of connecting hooks directly to the wire. The amount of drag does require the use of heavier line and rod.

seaurchint
01-11-2012, 09:19 AM
alabama rig? never herd of it! but i do know bait fishing it is three baited hooks and lure has three treble and i do belive it is three single hooks like three jigs one hook each. i would still check regs for that.

GuyBrown
01-11-2012, 09:34 AM
I have one for stripers.

I'll probably try it for Rainbows, Cohos & Kings when they are in the 15-25' depth ranges. I'll use a heavier lure on the downfacing wire to act as the keel and two equally weighted lures or blades on the two upper wires.

Tuning the rig is tricky, bending the wires into the proper shapes so that it and the three attached lures/attractors track properly.

I'll probably try it out in one of two situations.

On a day when there is "red hot" bite. In this situation I know the depth, lure, color, scent that work. I should be able to tell if it works as other techniques are.

On a "dead bite" day, e.g. nothing else is working, so what do I have to lose.

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has tried one for trout, coho or kings.

Regards.

CRABBY
01-11-2012, 12:32 PM
Thanks James an Guy for the tips an input,first problem I ran into was the whole thing spinning,an that was just draging it in the pond..May rig it as Guy sugg.something bigger on the bottom to act as a rudder....Don

Megadeath
01-11-2012, 04:22 PM
I was thinking about that today. Three hooks and two teasers I believe, I don't see why it would not work other than modifying it to trout, kings and kokes when they go after the bait balls in there natural habitat or unless they are really spooky and don't strike on instinct feeding frenzy or plane madness. I guess we will find out.

Jfitalia
01-11-2012, 05:15 PM
seriously guys!!!! Like I need any more fishing crap right now! This whole buying a boat has opened up my fishing adventures and now I need more crap! I hope it doesnt work so that way I dont have to buy even more tackle! :wink:

CRABBY
01-11-2012, 05:29 PM
seriously guys!!!! Like I need any more fishing crap right now! This whole buying a boat has opened up my fishing adventures and now I need more crap! I hope it doesnt work so that way I dont have to buy even more tackle! :wink:LOL,you haven't even started yet,rods,reels,dodgers,flashers,lures,etc.rough est.to get you to the 1st stage about 2,000 bucks,that's after you get your boat set up...:moneybag1:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jfitalia
01-11-2012, 06:11 PM
LOL,you haven't even started yet,rods,reels,dodgers,flashers,lures,etc.rough est.to get you to the 1st stage about 2,000 bucks,that's after you get your boat set up...:moneybag1:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I need to get a loan from the bank I work at.

CRABBY
01-11-2012, 06:27 PM
I need to get a loan from the bank I work at.LOL,if ya just stick with the basics an don't get caught up in all the hype you can get buy pretty cheap.
The problem starts when buying stuff turns into a hobbie,I have ton's an ton's of stuff still unwrapped from many years ago,lot trout/koke guys boats are floating tackle stores,inc mine.:rotfl2::rotfl2:.....Don

Koke Machine83
01-11-2012, 07:34 PM
I have a floating Tackle Store :hitoverhead:

Jfitalia
01-11-2012, 08:51 PM
I have a floating Tackle Store :hitoverhead:

haha yeah I've heard stories!

schatgun
01-11-2012, 09:51 PM
Remember Boat is just an acronym for Bust Out Another Thousand......