PDA

View Full Version : Flashers / Dodgers on the Downrigger???

Big Game
01-09-2012, 03:27 PM
I am curious to find out if any of you guys have tried running your attractor (Flashers / Dodgers) directly off of the cable for the Downrigger with a separate release for your lure. I thought about this today and it dawned on me that in all my years of trolling - I have never tried it. I suppose that it would free up your line with the lure on it so that when you reel in your fish - you don't have the drag of the attractor. Pro's & Con's???

Any takers?

Thanks, Big Game

schatgun
01-09-2012, 03:44 PM
Big Game,

I only do this when I'm fishing deep, whether for Kokanee or Trout, 45' or more. That is because the boat noise and chop spook/scatter the fish when they are closer to the surface. When they are shallow I obviously let out lots of line and therefore it would render the flashers near the boat useless.

But in the summer time when the Kokanee are schooled up and deep I will hook the flashers to my downrigger ball and let out maybe 6' of line between the downrigger cable and my lure...then I can make nice tight turns and stay in the school for long periods of time without my lines crossing each other and tangling up.

Only my $.02....I'm sure others have different opinions and techniques.....hopefully they share some of them then we can all learn something.

Happy fishing.......

Koke Machine83
01-09-2012, 04:12 PM
Vance's Tackle, Makes Ball Trolls you can clip on your downrigger balls. You just add a stacker clip, right above it about 3' to 4'. Then let the lure out behind the ball trolls about 3' to 4'. Lots of flash and Not on your Rod... Good Luck hope this helps.... Robbie

Fishbucket
01-09-2012, 04:41 PM
I dont... I'm afraid of letting it down to fast and get the tangle from hell.
I have trolled directly behind the ball with good results though.

CRABBY
01-09-2012, 04:45 PM
Big Game,

I only do this when I'm fishing deep, whether for Kokanee or Trout, 45' or more. That is because the boat noise and chop spook/scatter the fish when they are closer to the surface. When they are shallow I obviously let out lots of line and therefore it would render the flashers near the boat useless.

But in the summer time when the Kokanee are schooled up and deep I will hook the flashers to my downrigger ball and let out maybe 6' of line between the downrigger cable and my lure...then I can make nice tight turns and stay in the school for long periods of time without my lines crossing each other and tangling up.

Only my $.02....I'm sure others have different opinions and techniques.....hopefully they share some of them then we can all learn something.

Happy fishing.......+ 1,totaly agree!
One thing I don't do but I have seen it done is drag those big long lake troll flashers,ford fenders etc. using the big release clips off the DR's way to much drag....Don

Koke Machine83
01-09-2012, 07:57 PM
You can run the stacker clip up the downrigger cable about 4 1/2', Then you won't have to worry about tangles. Just be sure to run your lure about 4' to 5' behind the ball trolls... Robbie

Gene St. Denis
01-09-2012, 07:58 PM
The system works good, Have used it for many years... sometimes you need to Go Naked Again.. as they Get spooked... then It works again Later... maybe at another Spot.. as well.... it is all about what the Fish want .. at that Time. :old: gst

blwn31
01-09-2012, 07:59 PM
Here is what I have done and do. I run a 3' set of vertical flashers in between my downrigger cable and cannon ball. When I use this setup I run a short setback to my offering. Mimics a school. Gets the fish to come up and take a look see.

Keith

dr.fish
01-09-2012, 08:02 PM
I use a short set of flashers off the ball, even when fishing shallow. I have found an increase in catch rate with both kokes and trout, especially at Pyramid lake.

hotdog
01-09-2012, 08:16 PM
I've never tried a dodger since they rely on having some drag behind them but flashers work great. The less mess on the rod the better.

Big Game
01-10-2012, 09:58 AM
WOW! Thanks for all of the great input guys! Makes me want to get all of the stuff out of the boat and fire it up and try out your ideas!

Keith - not sure I have ever seen "Vertical" Flashers - ??? But wouldn't be surprised if someone made them.

I appreciate all of your comments guys!

Big Game