PDA

View Full Version : Setup for trolling with lead core for trout

bsmith95610
01-11-2012, 01:38 AM
I'm going to be heading out to Folsom this weekend and wanted to try using lead core when trolling. What pound line would most people use for the lead core line then also what pound and how long of a leader is recommended.

From looking online the below is what I'm currently thinking of getting. Please let me know if any of you have any suggestions on my setup.

6'6 or 7' medium action pole
large trolling reel
12# lead core line
8# mono leader around 30ft long

Ray9368
01-11-2012, 02:55 AM
I'm going to be heading out to Folsom this weekend and wanted to try using lead core when trolling. What pound line would most people use for the lead core line then also what pound and how long of a leader is recommended.

From looking online the below is what I'm currently thinking of getting. Please let me know if any of you have any suggestions on my setup.

6'6 or 7' medium action pole
large trolling reel
12# lead core line
8# mono leader around 30ft long

What you have listed would work fine for using lead core, although right now I doubt seriously that you would need it. The fish are near the surface - probably no deeper than 10 feet. You'd probably do better with long setbacks toplining than anything else.

Ray

GuyBrown
01-11-2012, 05:54 AM
I use lead core a lot Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb, Mar & Apr. I use a 60' leader, 8 or 10#. You can fish a rig on the surface & your lead core outfit at one color "in the water", 5' down, about 90' back of the boat and probably get a good feel for how it works. Regards.

Captain Compassion
01-11-2012, 08:26 AM
Captains Setup

7' Shimano Trolling rod
Penn 209/309 Reel
18# Lead Core
5' 6/8# P-Line CXX Leader.

I find 12# too light and sometimes it will break before the leader. I have found that in the main Trout aren't all that line shy and 5' leader doesn't seem to decrease the number of hits over longer leaders.

CC

Fishmeister
01-11-2012, 08:57 AM
I use lead core a lot most of the year as my second rod when trolling. I use 18lb as it sinks truer to the 5' down per color. I use 30' of 10lb Pline CXX. I use a 10' Simano Medium action very slow flex rod. The longer rod allows for a wider spread on the boat. Since I will also go down 70' or so for Mack's I use a Penn 330 reel as it will hold 17 colors or more. This works well for everything from Kokes to Macks and Salmon. The long slow rod is soft enough for the Kokes and has enough backbone to wear out the big ones.

You may know it but the best way to tie the leader to the lead core is:

Remove about 18" of lead from the end of the lead core.
Insert one end of your leader into the sheath that you took the lead from the full 18" until it touches the lead in the line.
Tie 3 overhand knots in the sheath and leader portion of the line. The first about an inch from where the lead and leader meet. The 2nd around the middle and the 3rd within and inch of the end of the lead core. I have never had this knot break and it goes through the guides really well.

Hookin_Up
01-11-2012, 09:42 AM
I'll chime in here with my preferences:

- you'll want a Med Fast action 7' rod because I think the fast action allows for better hook sets, and you can see the action of your setup better when you have a few colors out
- 15lb lead core would probably be better w/ an 8lb leader
- like GuyBrown said, put a 60-100ft leader on and let out 0-3 colors of lead, to cover the top 15ft of water
- I personally only have 6 colors of lead on each reel, for 2 reasons: 1) I don't really like letting out more than 6 colors and 2) this allows me to use smaller/lighter reels
- I use a knot similar to Fishmeister, except it's a little more simple. Here are instructions (except I tie 2 overhand knot loops to start): UPangler.com (http://www.upangler.com/leadcore.html)

Have fun!

bsmith95610
01-11-2012, 09:49 AM
Thanks for all of the info everyone I appreciate the help. I think I'm going to go with the below setup.

7' medium action pole
large trolling reel possibly a Penn
18# lead core line
8# P-Line CXX Leader around 30ft long

One more question I hear it's best to use mono for line backing is this true? If so does it matter how many pound? I was thinking of putting 17lb mono on then 100 yards of lead core. I'm guessing I should put enough mono to back fill so the lead core takes up most of the reel is this correct?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Captain Compassion
01-11-2012, 08:53 PM
Bsmith I don't use backing and fill up my reel with up to 200 yds of lead core. Cabalas has 200 yd spools. Never go more than 6 colors and anything less than 15 feet I top line.

CC

somethingfishyhere
01-15-2012, 10:09 PM
Cap'n... why do you say no more than 6 colors? Especially given that you load your reel with 20 colors?

Jetspray
01-16-2012, 07:15 AM
Cap'n... why do you say no more than 6 colors? Especially given that you load your reel with 20 colors?

He needs the extra footage when it breaks off during trolling (big fish or bottom strikes). Main thing is to make sure to loosen your drag so that the line can spool if that happens:boese0500gp:.......Jetspray

Jetspray
01-16-2012, 07:19 AM
Bsmith I don't use backing and fill up my reel with up to 200 yds of lead core. Cabalas has 200 yd spools. Never go more than 6 colors and anything less than 15 feet I top line.

CC

That's OK if you have a dedicated setup for trolling leadcore, some fellas just want to add on the amount that they are gonna use that day. Main thing is to have good knots whatever you do to your reel, and make sure the line on the spool is not loose when tugged hard with the drag tightened. The backing line needs to be of a higher strength than the leader or the leadcore.........Jetspray

Jetspray
01-16-2012, 07:22 AM
BTW all 8 of my leadcore set-ups have linecounter reels, line manufacture of leadcore is not an exacting science. The line itself is a braided line for the most part and has alot of weak points in it. I also use line dressing on the lines to keep the kinks from snagging from time to time, it doesn't always work as leadcore loves to kink and whiplash alot:mad2:........Jetspray

victor
01-16-2012, 10:43 PM
Other option that I found to be very successful is using lead core in conjunction with an Off Shore Side Planer Board. I'll have 4 colors and let it out, then let out more line which is now the backing to get distance/depth and then clip on the side planer and let the planer out 50 to 75 feet out. This way I have the determined depth with the line out and the board not in way of other lines and can also get closer to shore or bank. This is my method when the other lines are on the down rigger(s) and able to cover different depths or fish that are somewhat scattered.
Vic

bsmith95610
01-17-2012, 09:06 AM
Thank you everyone for the information. I'll try some of your ideas out and hopefully will catch some more trout next time. I appreciate all of your input.

borntoscout
01-19-2012, 05:20 PM
bs, if you did not see Cal Kellogg’s post of 12/31 regarding light tackle lead core rigging, check it out. What he presented makes sense to me, so I put together an outfit along the lines of Cal's prescription to test out:

Medium sized bait cast reel
7 foot down rigger rod with 10 guides
100 yards skinny fused braid backing (14 lb.)
3 and a third colors Sufix 18 lb. lead core
45 feet 8 lb. fluorocarbon
High quality ball bearing swivel
5 foot 4 lb. mono leader.

My goal is to be able to reach trout in higher elevation lakes with shallow thermoclines during the summer doldrums with lighter tackle. In preliminary testing (not actually fishing), every thing seemed to work ok. Even the bulky Albright knots passed though the guides easily, and letting out backing does give more sink per the lead. A reel that does not have a disconnecting level wind would probably work best.

bsmith95610
03-28-2013, 08:43 AM
I haven't had much luck with my lead core setup I always seem to do better with my top line poles. Is there any specific lures that are good or bad to use with lead core? I normally will throw on a flasher with a threaded worm or a floating f7 or f9 rapala.

Captain Compassion
03-28-2013, 10:02 AM
I haven't had much luck with my lead core setup I always seem to do better with my top line poles. Is there any specific lures that are good or bad to use with lead core? I normally will throw on a flasher with a threaded worm or a floating f7 or f9 rapala.

Depends on where you are fishing and what you are fishing for. At Pyramid for LCT you will be using large spoons, Apex or Draggin type lures, Large FF or perhaps Raps. Trolling for Bowns then it's minnow type lures like Raps. For general rainbow trolling then you cant go far wrong with #2 or #3 Needlefish in pearl bikini or frog. Small Raps and worm and flasher have gotten many a fish to the boat.

CC

Line Stretcher
03-28-2013, 10:34 AM
Using lead core is combined with a lot of variables. Each color is 30' and I set the minimum leader length to twice the length of the rod. There's not a lot of rational behind that except it seems to work.

The first factor to consider is the speed that you'll be trolling. The speed is what will determine the depth that you might be able to expect a given number of colors the reach, the estimate is usually in the package of lead core you buy. If you troll leadcore at 1.2 then 3 colors of 18lb will get you to about 15' and 90' behind the boat.

If you want to be at 100' behind the boat then you'd need a 10' leader. Mine are all around 18' for anytime I running 3 colors or more. It seems to work the best for me. You also have to consider the sink rate of the leader which most often results in it riding a little higher because of a number of different and confusing factors.

If I'm trolling in depths of 10 to 20 feet and the thermocline is well formed I like to run at about 1 1/2 colors and 50' of leader. For this I usually put mono on first then three colors of lead core and my leader. That will give you plenty of line to let the fish run if it want's to and it gives you a little more lead so you can let a little more out if you decide to change speeds.

Ultimately you just need to mess around until you find what works the best for you and your style of fishing. Just keep in mind that Lead Core is not always the best answer but it can be used to fill in the voids between down riggers and lead weights or spreaders.

One thing is for sure, you won't find me going out without at least one reel in the reel bag with lead core on it.

borntoscout
03-28-2013, 10:52 AM
Lead core works with all the lures, with or without a dodger. The set up described earlier has performed beyond expectations. I have switched to sufix 832 12# as it is smaller in diameter with the same LC and my 300 series shimano bait caster will hold 5 colors. Of course for fish right on the surface LC is of no advantage will only put your lure below the fish if you let out more than 1 or 2 colors.

Lifted
03-28-2013, 11:33 AM
I recently got a trolling reel and put leadcore on it. I was planning on putting about 100yds of backing, then the whole spool of leadcore, but was told the 6 color thing as well. Since I figured I never want to lose a fish from line breakage on that setup, I used 25lb dacron backing & 27lb lead core line. I sprung for Cabela's: Sufix 832 Lead Core (http://www.cabelas.com/product/Sufix-832-Lead-Core/1360991.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3D searchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProduc ts%26Ntt%3Dlead%2Bcore%26x%3D-948%26y%3D-51%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=lead+core&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products) compared to the regular lead core hoping for less resistance and more of a fight. The first time I used it was with 20lb mono leader and a "trolls to 20ft" firetiger Rapala. When I let my friend drive the boat he took us too close to a point and I got snagged on the bottom I was 100ft out so approx 3 colors. Surprisingly when it finally broke off it was the 27lb lead core that went before the 20lb mono leader. I'm not sure how many colors I lost. Should I put more colors on using a blood-knot or should I just wait till more breaks off and replace the whole thing? Another thing to note is I was using a MH Ugly stick and the setup was putting a decent amount of strain on the rod even just pulling the Rapala.

borntoscout
03-28-2013, 01:41 PM
832 LC only comes in 12 and 18 lb. I think a LC to LC blood knot would be too bulky to deal with.

Lifted
03-28-2013, 02:05 PM
832 LC only comes in 12 and 18 lb. I think a LC to LC blood knot would be too bulky to deal with.

My bad, it was this Cabela's: Tuf-Line MicroLead Lead Core (http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishing/Fishing-Line/Lead-Core-Trolling-Line%7C/pc/104793480/c/104719680/sc/104590980/Tuf-Line-MicroLead-Lead-Core/1432828.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse.cmd%3F N%3D1100387%26WTz_l%3DSBC%253BBRprd1360991&WTz_l=SBC%3BBRprd1360991%3Bcat104590980). I was told when tying a new leader to lead core to break of the lead core a few inches up the sheath and use the remaining braided part to tie the knots. I'm assuming that doesn't make it any weaker, and wouldn't make for a huge knot.

Line Stretcher
03-28-2013, 03:02 PM
The knot I use is a little different. I pull about 6 inches of lead out then take the empty braid and make a loose overhand knot and work it so I have about 4" of straight sheath to work with.

Next I thread my leader material inside the braid and once I have it in as far as I can I work the overhand knot back until the part with the leader in it becomes part of it. Once it's where I want it I pull the overhand knot tight.

I don't know if you can picture that or not. Because the leader is inside the braid the two become one and I've never had one come loose. You can do double and tripple overhands if you want but each one makes it a little harder to slide down and I personally don't think it makes enough difference for the effort.

The knot works like the chineese finger torture thing so the harder you pull the tighter it grips. I've tested it and always break the line first. The best part is that the knot is tiny compared to anything else.

It's probably not the best knot for an impatient person. I guarantee it will tick you off until you get the hang of threading the leader into the braid.

borntoscout
03-28-2013, 05:11 PM
When I have tried Knots that involve only the sheath of the LC, a weak spot develops due to abrasion from the inside from the broken end of the lead filament. I only have experience with sufix brand LC, dacron and 832.

Line Stretcher
03-28-2013, 05:52 PM
I've never experienced a problem like you. I change my leaders of often so maybe that's why.

Captain Compassion
03-28-2013, 07:04 PM
As I stated before I use only 5 feet of leader on my lead core. I strip out some of the lead and tie to a ball bearning swivel and attach leader to the swivel.

CC

Line Stretcher
03-28-2013, 07:08 PM
As I stated before I use only 5 feet of leader on my lead core. I strip out some of the lead and tie to a ball bearning swivel and attach leader to the swivel.

CC

That works, I did that for years. I just like the eyes on the leader when the fish gets close to the boat.

okie
03-28-2013, 07:12 PM
when i install a leader to leadcore, i strip 6 to 8 inches of leadc out,
insert the leader as far as it will go then tie a figure 8 knot at the junction
of lc and leader, never had a problem.
be safe

Line Stretcher
03-28-2013, 07:17 PM
when i install a leader to leadcore, i strip 6 to 8 inches of leadc out,
insert the leader as far as it will go then tie a figure 8 know at the junction
of lc and leader, never had a problem.
be safe

The knot I use is called the Willis Knot. I learned it from my friend Val up at Eagle Lake, I never knew it had a name until now.

Here's a link to it. Your knot will work just as well I'm sure.

UPangler.com (http://www.upangler.com/leadcore.html)

borntoscout
03-28-2013, 08:00 PM
I like the 40 to 50 feet of fluro or mono leader as it allows freedom for the fish to zip and jump and with a large fish capable of pulling line most of the give and take occurs near the boat and does not involve LC or Knots.