PDA

View Full Version : Halibut spawning depth range in S. Fran. area?

piscolabis
04-17-2007, 08:35 PM
Anyone have expert knowledge about the depth to find spawning Calif. Halibut in San Fran. Bay and Pacific Ocean bays off Marin and S. Mateo Counties coastline? I want to know what depth to drift my live bait across the beds. Also, do Halibut like hard bottoms or soft bottoms?
Tom

ZACK
04-18-2007, 07:49 AM
Anyone have expert knowledge about the depth to find spawning Calif. Halibut in San Fran. Bay and Pacific Ocean bays off Marin and S. Mateo Counties coastline? *I want to know what depth to drift my live bait across the beds. *Also, do Halibut like hard bottoms or soft bottoms?
Tom

I'm no biologist but it has always been my understanding that halibut spawn off of shallow coastal waters not in the bay. When they are in the bay it is only because they have followed the bait in.

Their preference is soft bottoms of mud, or sand. In faster moving tides look to fish the clear water and stay out of the murk. They are a sight feeder for the most part and if they cannot see and get a bead on your bait it will be missed. ZACK!

piscolabis
04-19-2007, 10:09 PM
Zack, thanks for the ideas about fishing clear vs. murky water and the tide information.
I thought I read that halibut are in S. Fran. Bay to spawn from Apr.-June. That's when the reports say it is the best time to fish for them. You're saying it isn't so? Do you have any ideas about why they are in the Bay or are they always there? Why would fishing be best in the spring if it weren't for mating? I appreciate the time you take to give your ideas. I want to fish for 'em!
Tom

ZACK
04-20-2007, 08:43 AM
Zack, thanks for the ideas about fishing clear vs. murky water and the tide information. *
I thought I read that halibut are in S. Fran. Bay to spawn from Apr.-June. *That's when the reports say it is the best time to fish for them. *You're saying it isn't so? *Do you have any ideas about why they are in the Bay or are they always there? *Why would fishing be best in the spring if it weren't for mating? *I appreciate the time you take to give your ideas. *I want to fish for 'em!
Tom

Well Tom,
as I said I am no expert and have not spoken to a biologist about this per say but of the very knowledgeable anglers I have talked to over the years they seem to all agree they are in the bay following the schools of anchovies in. Why are the schools of anchovies coming into the bay is your guess. Spawning? I talked to James Smith of the California Dawn a short while ago and asked him also and he echoed the others.

If you aren't already planning on coming to the butt fest you should. I will be there and will be more than happy to meet with you and pass on what I know. ZACK!

piscolabis
04-20-2007, 06:35 PM
Thanks, Zack. I didn't think of chasing anchovies. It makes sense. I'll go to butt fest thread now and read about it.
Tom