PDA

View Full Version : Hi im new to these forumns.

icaughtu
04-18-2007, 09:56 AM
Well just want to say hi to everyone im new to the forumn.I have a question. Does anyone know any really good spots to go rock fishing here in california, halfmoonbay santa cruz monterey areas or other areas.I usually go fishing at the light house between halfmoonbay and santa cruz, but I want something new.If anyone can help me youll be greatly appreciated.Thanks. :)

aintscared
04-18-2007, 10:11 AM
Bank or boat ?

icaughtu
04-18-2007, 10:20 AM
Sorry, Bank.

Kid_Dynamite
04-18-2007, 10:43 AM
hey welcome 8-)rocky areas would be your best bet ;D...just playin...im not that familiar with that area but no more spots around my area....pm if you want some

dukedempsey
04-18-2007, 11:37 AM
i grew up in pacifica and as a kid we fished morries point just south of fairway park. im sure you can still walk up there just no driving anymore also if there isnt a rope to get down you will need one. we caught mostly perch but also rock fish to include lings. for bait we would get thje pile worms out from under the mussels. this was long before the pier was built, most fish off of it now.

Fish_R_Us
04-18-2007, 12:07 PM
Hello and welcome to the Forum,
You are probably fishing at the Pigeon Point Lighthouse. I take it that you are shore rockfishing right? Have you tried fishing the big rock that's south of the lighthouse? It is accessible during minus tides but be careful when travelling over the slippery rocks. There are alot of holes around and even on-route to the rock. The best access to the rock is the dirt parking lot that is off of SR-1, just south of the south intersection. The best fishing slots are between Pidgeon Point and south past Ano Nuevo to the Santa Cruz countyline. You just need to spend some time and explore the areas to find the spots. The beaches are good for surfpearch and stripers also. You will find me between PP and Ano Nuevo almost 90% of the time. Good Luck.

icaughtu
04-18-2007, 12:26 PM
Thanks for the replys.Ya pigeon point is where we go.About the rock ive noticed that i can get there with low tide but I wasnt sure if I would make it back without getting wet.Ill make sure to explore those areas around there though thanks.

MB_Kevin
04-18-2007, 09:47 PM
Welcome to the boards.

You can get some off the rock jetty in halfmoon bay.

I have also heard here that taking pile worms from mussel beds is now illegal, probably was not back then but might want to be careful now.

dukedempsey
04-19-2007, 04:41 AM
good to know...and ya it was way way long ago.

Fish_R_Us
04-19-2007, 08:16 AM
icaughtu,
Pigeon Rock is best to get there 2 hours before a minus LO tide because you can cross over while the tide's still going out. That allows you to fish the holes and channels on route to the rock. By the time you reach the rock, the tide should have bottomed out and the bite should start getting better with the incoming flood. Just be careful and watch the surf conditions. Pay attention to the tide and it's best to get going about halfway to HI tide, or you will be wading or swimming back to shore. This is hard to do because the bite is getting better and you don't want to leave. Rubber boots are a necessity, hip boots are really better, unless you don't have a problem with wet, soggy feet. Be sure you have good soles because it's a real slippery walk/climb to get to the rock. You will probably not be alone during minus tides, it's a pretty popular place, but that's ok, the area is pretty big. I just don't like crossing that channel in deep water because with Ano Nuevo close by, the whole area from PP south to Davenport is Great White area. Another good place to fish is Bean Hollow. There are some deep channels north of the beach and the head to the south. Pescadero area is so-so, ok on the weekdays. Pebble Beach area is pretty picked over, because the school busses bring class loads of children during the week.

icaughtu
04-19-2007, 09:55 AM
Thanks FISH R US. Really good info.I was thinking of going this weekend, you think the weather will be ok?Also I was thinkin of taking a little row boat,12' its an inflatable one, maybe that would let me stay out longer till high tide, then when im done I can just row back to the beach, what do you think?Also what bait and hook size should I be using, ive always used pile worms and shrimp there, with hook size 6.Well hope to hear from you soon.Thanks.

donzitroller
04-19-2007, 02:19 PM
Howdy and welcome to the boards! I'm not a banker, but you'll find plenty of help here.. I was just tryin to be sociable!

icaughtu
04-19-2007, 03:08 PM
Thanks Donzi.

Toxic_Waste
04-19-2007, 07:54 PM
The taking of pile worms (or maybe even sand fleas) is probably something that will be in the 2008 fishing regs if it isn't there already. ;)

icaughtu
04-19-2007, 08:22 PM
what do you mean?It won't be legal? :-/

Fish_R_Us
04-20-2007, 11:53 AM
icaughtu,
The conditions look like it's going to be a bit nasty thanks to the next cold front that's suposse to blow thru saturday night. There's a good minus tide at 8:30am. Keep in mind that the tides are almost an hour ahead of the Golden Gate times. I guess you can haul an inflatable craft if you want to stay longer. A normal setup would be a medium-action 8 ft pole and a large saltwater spinning reel w/ 15-30 lb. mono. A medium action catfishing setup works ok. Normal hardware is a 15-30lb surf leader w/ #0-2 hooks and 3-6oz sinker. Bait is usually squid, mussels or jigs. Those little green rock crabs (dollar size) work real well, and are abundant all over the rocks. Fish the deep holes and crevices. If you dont get hits, then move to the next hole. Common rockfish to catch are cabezone, green/yellow/chinas RF, green/grass RF, and greenlings. Be sure to read the minimun size and species restrictions or you may be cited bt the DF&G. Good luck.

Toxic_Waste
04-20-2007, 02:15 PM
Aww, I was just being sarcastic, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if pileworms eventually become over-regulated or if you will need a license and a take limit. Was thinking about the post that said it wasn't legal to take them from mussel beds. :)