PDA

View Full Version : WOW! That really SUCKED!!!!

schatgun
01-13-2012, 08:22 PM
Geez, I hope somebody had a much better day than we did. Been kicking butt at a New Melones the last couple of weeks so I thought we’d mix it up a bit and try something different so we headed to Don Pedro. Had SkidMark25, a co-worker and one of my FishSniffer recruits, meet at my house at 0’dark thirty. We left the house in good spirits then about 15 min into the trip I started wondering if I left the garage door open or not. Called the wife several times, no answer. I had to know the door was closed so we turned around and went back….it was closed….Dang it!!!
Back on the road. Hit Don Pedro, Moccasin Marina at approx. 0650 hours and only 2 other trucks there….I thought either this place sux for fishing or it’s good and no one knows about it…..It Sucked. I threw dag near every lure I had out there in every different combination and depth for one lousy DINK! Saw Armies of fish on the FF but they wanted nothing to do with us.
http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k500/Schatgun/SAM_0148.jpg
SkidMark25 still enthusiastic about our day....
http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k500/Schatgun/SAM_0145.jpg
SkidMark25 with our only fish of the day.....at least I have kept the skunk off the boat another day...
http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k500/Schatgun/SAM_0146.jpg
Our two day passes....sad....
http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k500/Schatgun/SAM_0149.jpg
At 1100 hours we packed up and headed to New Melones, TuttleTown. On the water and fishing by 1145 hours. Headed straight to Carson Creek for a whole lot of nothing….Dang it!!!! Made our way out to a few spots where I always catch something…….Dang it!!!! Not a darn thing!!!! We hit all the same spots that I had been slaying them in weeks past with all the same tackle and then some…..RideNfish can testify to our recent good fortune. Today was not the day. One of three things happened, either I suck at fishing and had been lucky/fortunate the last several outings, today was my token crappy day to help me truly appreciate the good days or my girl New Melones was mad & jealous that I cheated on her and headed to Don Pedro to try something new/different. I hope it’s my token crappy day. I have said it in the past….its the crappy days that really make you appreciate the good days…..
I don’t want to be the guy that only reports when things are good so here is my sobby sad day of fishing….Sorry I didn’t have something better and more encouraging to report but I insist on reporting the facts. Again, I hope this is an isolated event and the rest of you had a stellar day.
Happy Fishing……

Marv
01-13-2012, 08:55 PM
You're right, can't have good days without the bad ones. I cleaned the garage today, so your sucky day sounds cool to me. I keep hearing Melones has died down the last couple days. I still have to find out myself.

Congrats on posting you fails, most guys wont report skunks. It doesn't have to have juicy fish pics to be a good report. Nice pics and better luck next time.

okie
01-13-2012, 09:01 PM
sorry to hear about the 'bad day fishing', dont worry, you'll slay them next time.
about your garage door, dont feel bad about that, about half the times i leave
the house i get a couple of miles down the road and have to come back to
check it.
be safe

Bigg A
01-13-2012, 09:14 PM
Thanks for sharing your day with us.....sorry about the skunk, just blame it on the fact that it's friday the 13th

AngelosPop
01-13-2012, 09:35 PM
Today was not the day. One of three things happened, either I suck at fishing and had been lucky/fortunate the last several outings, today was my token crappy day to help me truly appreciate the good days or my girl New Melones was mad & jealous that I cheated on her and headed to Don Pedro to try something new/different. ……

You forgot the forth............ You spoke with me :cuffedik0: I jinxed you! SORRY! :clown: I'll hope that it was just your token crappy day! Least you were out there! I wanted to go to Camanche today but my body said different, woke up feeling like I am getting sick again......... Uhhhhhhh!!!! Hopefully the predicted rains next week will shake things up a bit.

TroutGhost
01-13-2012, 10:31 PM
Thanks for the report. What we're you guys dragging behind the boat? Think it was the warm weather throwing off the bite?

Anyway you did better than I did. I'm stuck at home with mild pneumonia. Pushing a shopping cart for fifteen minutes tires me out. Have been dealing with this since X-MAS. Thought I'd have been better a week ago.

So on the bright side you still have your health and are able to get on the water. :)

YoungAsianFisher
01-14-2012, 12:36 AM
Hey look at the bright side, this bad day will make your next good day feel like an awesome day! Some days the fishes are extra picky, some days if you're fishing from shore like I do most of the time, the guy or girl next to you may be casting at the exact same spots as you and they get limits or something at least, while all you get is seaweed and empty hooks.

Jetspray
01-14-2012, 06:08 AM
Leaving the garage door open, or thinking you do, is called a "Senior Moment":duh:, welcome to the club:action-smiley-035:. Just wondering did you switch up what your presentation was? Did your depths/speeds change? I always go with the weather or moon excuse myself. Just keep fishing, just keep fishing, just keep fishing:beer::Gone_fishing:.........Jetspray

Kyle Wise
01-14-2012, 06:46 AM
Sorry to hear about a crappy trip:embarassed::embarassed: Melones has taken a turn for the worse due to the moon. With the moon being full it pushes the bite into the afternoon instead of a morning bite:winkfs:

Don Pedro is one of my favorite lakes to fish, looking at your FF will drive you crazy for sure, it looks like your marking a lot of kokanee. Rolling shad is one of my favorite ways to fish Pedro, usually this time of year the fish will move back into the back of coves but with the full moon it makes fishing a little more challenging, give it a few more days and we"ll be back to normal:jumping-smiley-011::jumping-smiley-011:

Thanks for the great report. It still beats being at work.

RideNfish
01-14-2012, 07:43 AM
Dang Schatgun! Sorry to hear about the tough one. I will post a report today about my bank fishing. I had it tough too but like you kept the official skunk off. Did you have enough bananas on board? Hope you do better next time!

Cheers,

Slapabow
01-14-2012, 08:42 AM
Thanks for the good bad and the ugly Schats.
Pedro can do that sometimes.
That FF pic looks like air bubbles. Not quite arches .
Go back with shad pattern spoons or uv. watermelon apex by its lonesome. Rolled shad is a good option.
Tightlines

schatgun
01-14-2012, 08:59 AM
We threw spoons, apexs', spinners....You name it, we threw it....in every color, combination, depth, and speed....Just wasn't our day.

Only thing I didn't do was roll shad....& thats becuase I've never done it or know how to....something I'm gonna have to learn I guess....anyone want to share thier shad tactics?

Thnx again guys.....I don't blame the moon bc I've had respectable days when the moon phase is against me, this was just one of those days that the cards were not in my favor.....The Kokanee we marked were all in the back in the coves as K.Wise stated but they had lock jaw too....

Gonna give it another shot next week....

mytmouse
01-14-2012, 09:44 AM
thanks for post, love the facts. great effort none the less. rolling shad/bait is a piece of cake with a rotary salmon killer (RSK) or the like (Shelton Franko Bullet Rotator FBR). just like a spinner or hoochie, proper speed will make it roll.....dial your speed/roll and drop them balls through the bait. You can also make a 2 hook setup (sliding snell/snood on top hook), youtube can show that as well. Good luck out there!

Jetspray
01-14-2012, 11:35 PM
We threw spoons, apexs', spinners....You name it, we threw it....in every color, combination, depth, and speed....Just wasn't our day.

Only thing I didn't do was roll shad....& thats becuase I've never done it or know how to....something I'm gonna have to learn I guess....anyone want to share thier shad tactics?

Thnx again guys.....I don't blame the moon bc I've had respectable days when the moon phase is against me, this was just one of those days that the cards were not in my favor.....The Kokanee we marked were all in the back in the coves as K.Wise stated but they had lock jaw too....

Gonna give it another shot next week....

Rollin Shad ain't too hard to do, behind a good dodger it can be deadly. Most fellas do a quick soak in special sauce onboard first before lowering in the water coloum. The fellas a Fisherman's Friend in Lodi can help set you up......Jetspray