PDA

View Full Version : Wow SKUNKED!

YoungAsianFisher
01-13-2012, 10:00 PM
Wow I got skunked today at Temescal, did a sliding sinker rig, didn't have a weight that was heavy enough so I used 2 3/8ths bullet sinkers instead of an egg sinker, orange and yellow power eggs. Not a single bite.. Some guy caught a lot I heard, me, nada. What did I do wrong here? Lol

Marv
01-13-2012, 10:17 PM
2 3/8 is almost 1oz. You were probably throwing it to far. Most stocked trout cruise the shoreline.

I like having power eggs powerbait and rubbers/lures in different colors. Trout usually bite the color i don't have that day :) Get some garlic flavored rainbow glitter powerbait, it's a good all around color.

YoungAsianFisher
01-13-2012, 11:24 PM
Yeah I know the trout cruise near the shore line. After the guy left, I casted at his spot where he was pulling out trout after trout after trout! Still no luck, same bait as him too! Some reason my weights couldnt keep my line down, it keep floating so I tightened my line, once I did that, the weight followed :duh:. What size hooks do you recommend? I'm using size 8 and other people are also using size 8. I notice they don't bite the power eggs, they choose to swallow whole and that ends up getting the hook deep in there.

TroutGhost
01-14-2012, 12:02 AM
Did you check to see if your rig floated?

How long was the leader?

Size eight is pretty big. I use a size 14. How many eggs were you using to keep the eggs afloat?

YoungAsianFisher
01-14-2012, 12:16 AM
@TroutGhost, I hope we're talking about the same type of hooks lol cus I personally think size 8 baitholder hooks with barbs pinched is fair enough for trout. That's what I was recommended to use also. Then again I could be wrong because I'm new to this.

I used 2 3/8ths bullet weights which is pretty close to an ounce and I started off using only one power egg which was enough to float the hook and leader. I tied many different leaders to snap on ranging from about 6 inches up to maybe a foot. Then I switched to hooking on two power eggs just to cover up the entire hook with the tip very close to piercing through the egg so I could get a good hook set.

My reel was spooled with around 10 or 12# test, some reason... my line just didn't want to sink into the water, so I reel in to keep it tight line but like I said when ever I reeled it tight, the rig seemed to shift closer to the dock...

Anyone have any recommendations? Trout fishing seems much more difficult than anything I've ever done. :hitoverhead:

TroutGhost
01-14-2012, 12:56 AM
I'm not certain that a single power egg could float a size eight baitholder hook. Mustad Demon Wire hooks, Gamakatsu TW hooks and there's another one I can't recall the name of, but it's an Eagle Claw fine wire hook are all light enough to float berkley worms and eggs and that's what I use. I think it's important to test out your rig to make sure it floats before you toss it out there.

As for the leader, I think you should go longer, between two to three feet, particularly in Temescal. I prefer three feet myself. I use a 4# leader.

It's hard to pick which reason is to blame, although I suspect that the rig wasn't floating as my first choice and the short leader as the second choice.

Jetspray
01-14-2012, 05:56 AM
Size 16, 18 trebble hook with 12" to 18" leader of 4 lb line leader. Hook to a snap/barrel swivel (reverse the direction of the snap to face the sliding sinker), add a small bead between the sinker and the swivel. When I fish I use Gulp with turbodough around the hook, then cover that with Gulp. Put the bait in the water and get it wet first, then put the whole rig in the water in front of you to make sure it floats and the line goes loose. Sometimes a tight line to the sinker is a problem so a little slack does not hurt either. I know a fella that leaves his bail open and tapes a clothes pin to the rod handle then puts the line in the clip, fish strikes and pulls the line, he picks up his rod, flips the bail, and sets the hook, fish on:yoda1::Old_hippie::old::thumbsup:..........Jets pray

Kyle Wise
01-14-2012, 07:15 AM
Size 16, 18 trebble hook with 12" to 18" leader of 4 lb line leader. Hook to a snap/barrel swivel (reverse the direction of the snap to face the sliding sinker), add a small bead between the sinker and the swivel. When I fish I use Gulp with turbodough around the hook, then cover that with Gulp. Put the bait in the water and get it wet first, then put the whole rig in the water in front of you to make sure it floats and the line goes loose. Sometimes a tight line to the sinker is a problem so a little slack does not hurt either. I know a fella that leaves his bail open and tapes a clothes pin to the rod handle then puts the line in the clip, fish strikes and pulls the line, he picks up his rod, flips the bail, and sets the hook, fish on:yoda1::Old_hippie::old::thumbsup:..........Jets pray

This is exactly how it should be done, great advice in this post. light line in clear water is a must :worthy::worthy:

fowledup
01-14-2012, 11:32 AM
X3 on above advice, another thing you might try is to swap out your mainline for a good 6# line. Have you tried fishing a slip bobber there? The more I fish that setup the more I like it. You can look up how to rig it on you tube.

YoungAsianFisher
01-14-2012, 05:40 PM
Thanks for the additional advice guys, I've been planning to buy a new rod and reel just for trouts, bluegills, red ears and crappies. Any suggestion? Also wondering what brand and type of line to purchase.

@TroutGhost, I switched off to the pre-snelled size 8 Eagle Claw hooks, cut off their leader and tied a longer leader to it and one egg did the trick to keep it floating. I had about a 2 feet leader but used a two ounce sinker cus one once didnt seem to keep anything to the bottom.

Kyle Wise
01-14-2012, 06:37 PM
This is what you should be using. I run four pound test on all my trout reels and switch up the standard hook to a treble hook. Hope this helps.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e94/111kyle/rigging1.jpg

Jetspray
01-14-2012, 11:29 PM
One thing to add on that Berkley setup above is to make sure the swivel is small and light, and the bead is not too large with a big hole or heavy either. The heavier the hook the less the bait will float, the idea is to present just enough bait on the hook to get them interested. Gulp ain't cheap either getting close to $7 a bottle over here......Jetspray