PDA

View Full Version : Toughed it out on Camnache shores! 1-13 [Pics included]

RideNfish
01-14-2012, 09:37 AM
I got an invite from good ole MariahPup (MP) to hit north shore Camanche. I decided to give my dad a call to see if he could join us since he hadn't seen MP in a long time. My dad isn't usually good at the last minute stuff and to my surprise he said, "Sure!".

We met MP on the north shore point at 06:15 and he was there waiting for us. We were the first out there and promptly took our rods to waters edge. We each threw out different colors of power bait and started throwing lures and wooly buggers. Of course my dad and I had purple ones on from Melones so we started with those. It was barely twilight and I hear my dad say "fish on". I can't see him well and was pleasantly surprised since it hit the wooly he was throwing. It was in the first 15 min or so of being there.

We watched a beautiful sunrise come up over the hills to another crazy nice January day.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o14/ScreaminRK/Fishing%20Stuff/IMG_1401.jpg

As light came up MP had a hit on his yellow corn PB and ran over to the rod. Fish was on for a second then was gone. Since I could now see in the water I decided to stroll my dad's way and check out the fish on the stinger. I look down in the water and it was a BASS! My dad has never caught a bass since we never fish for them. The dang thing hit his purple wooly. We continued throwing woolies and lures of many colors along with PB changes for no more bites. We didn't see anyone around us do anything as well. So we pulled anchor (figuratively speaking) around 10:15 and moved to an area we had never been to before. We saw two other guys there and think they had one fish between them. We set up and repeated the same with some PB out and tossing various lures to entice.

MariahPup came ready. He said that he was trying to keep up with me since I always bring three rods. I am all about the Cast Per Hour or CPH as it's called. I don't want to have to cut one thing off a pole to try another. That can take many cast out of your day. Despite MP's arsenal of four rods (had to show me up didn't ya) it failed to produce for him that day.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o14/ScreaminRK/Fishing%20Stuff/IMG_1404.jpg

Before I left my house in the morning I went to one of my flower beds and pulled up a few worms to bring with me just in case. I had already tried them behind a water bobber with no success. So now I put a worm on with a marshmallow to float off of the bottom. In about 15 min I see my wine cork indicator rise up and the pole get a bit of a tug. I run over and pick up the rod but everything was still. So I reel in the slack very slowly until I felt pressure then a small pull back. Set the hook and had a nice fight on my light tackle. Landed this nice 18˝" trout for the first trout of the day!

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o14/ScreaminRK/Fishing%20Stuff/IMG_1403.jpg

I set up again with the same and not more than 15 min later I get another fish. Not pictured but about 16" or so. At about 12:30 MP calls it a day but was going to drive over to south shore to see if things were any better. Don't know if he fished but at least checked it out for future reference. Here is MariahPup getting ready to head out with his famous pink back pack! Just gotta love it. :)

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o14/ScreaminRK/Fishing%20Stuff/IMG_1405.jpg

I went over to join my dad that had been working the shoreline down from us. He was taking in the sun rays waiting for some action. You can see in this pic he is using the ole' Pole hits me in the shoulder strike indicator. :) By this point I was only in a white T-shirt it was so warm.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o14/ScreaminRK/Fishing%20Stuff/IMG_1406.jpg

I put out my worm/marsh combo and was eating a sandwich. I thought I saw movement on my rod but wasn't convinced. Then the indicator starts to move up the rod real slow. I pick up the rod and bring in the slack and never felt anything. That would be the end of that. I was also throwing a olive wooly and actually put the rod between my legs to take the above pic. I picked the rod back up and started reel it to get it off the bottom. I felt like I might of picked up a stick with the weight but then I got a head shake and it was fish on. He might of hit it on the fall and not gone anywhere. I bring him in and he was about 14" and was easily released.

That was the day. Dad caught a bass, I caught 3 trout, and MariahPup got skunked. We didn't stick around to see if there was an afternoon bite but was told at the gate that is what had been happening lately.

It was a great day with my dad as always and was happy to see MP again. I know my dad was happy to see him since it had been so long. I was lucky enough to fight off another skunk to keep my 2012 count to 6-0. I probably just jinxed myself but I consider that good. Especially since a few of my trips included skunks with my guest.

Thank you dad and MP!

:cheers1:

JwG
01-14-2012, 10:19 AM
Great thread as always RideNfish!!

You guys really worked hard with a lot of different applications and presentations.

It seems like it was a SLOW bite at many different areas yesterday.
Must be solar flares/moonshine affect.
Still no skunk for RnF!!!!:appledancing:

You did not post about your Thursday trip to the Merced.
Those were two nice fish you dropped off at my house for the smoker.

Even with the slow bite hanging around you are batting 1000 for 2012!!

Thanks for the thread and pictures.

schatgun
01-14-2012, 11:21 AM
Nice report Doug....I too was able to keep the skunk away with once measely fish....like you i worked my butt off yesterday. 9 hours of fishing for one fish:wallbash: .....oh well....the weather was awesome and it still beats work or sitting home and watching non-sense on the boob tube....

Captain Compassion
01-14-2012, 12:54 PM
R&F nice report. Pretty day. Sorry the fishing wasn't better. Bill. Got to get you a better back pack.:yikes:

great49er
01-14-2012, 09:28 PM
Thanks for the report. My dad and I like to fish the North Shore there. We normally use the open bail trick at Camanche, the fish seem to drop the bait pretty quickly there.

Duckmanhoov
01-14-2012, 10:35 PM
Nice report Doug seemed like a great day. I was getting sun burned in the duck blind for the first part of the day then had to watch the niners. Might see if I can get my dad to take his boat over to Amador Monday. Long haul for him, but his boat is a lot nicer than mine......lol Keep the reports coming, need to get out and wet a line.

lowery125
01-14-2012, 11:31 PM
good report RnF! great start to the morning and looked like a nice day. in you rod arsenal was that an okuma SST with a president series reel

RideNfish
01-15-2012, 05:40 AM
good report RnF! great start to the morning and looked like a nice day. in you rod arsenal was that an okuma SST with a president series reel

That was Mariahpups rods. But yes, that is what it was.

mariahpup
01-15-2012, 07:51 AM
Thanks a bunch to Ride-N-Fish and his dad for a fun outing. Noi fish for me but it was a great day and I learned a bit more about shore fishing at Camanche...Doug and his dad are a pleasure to fish with and our good natured banter is always fun...look forward to out next outing wherever it may be...
Note to Capt. C...my pink backpack is a treasure...collectors item...looking forward to the spring when it will surface on the Carson...
To Doug I wonder if his dog ever came out of his office after the 49ers thrilling victory on Saturday...his wife is a monster 49er fan and her avid vocal rooting often sends the dog hiding in the office...
Luck to All an go 9ers! Mariahpup

dude
01-15-2012, 08:17 AM
Like the rod to shoulder indicator. I also use your wine cork indicator. I've fine turned it a little by only using champagne corks. I take a serrated knife and square bubble part at the top so when they fly they don't roll. Flouresent model paint drilled thru and a light wire and your in business. Another interesting indicator when the fish a spooky is to open the bail and place a quarter on the top. Now put a tin pie plate under the reel. I saw guys use this at Lake Merced long ago. They would set up their chairs, then the poles and then pour coffee and read the paper that is until they heard the clink.
Dude

Marv
01-15-2012, 08:44 AM
Nice job keepin' that skunk at bay. Thats not a bad looking fish 1 or 2 of those feels way better than none of those :)
I forgot to tell you, last time out at Melones some guy had a chevy orange wine cork indacator, lol. I was gonna tell him RnF had ©Copywrites :p but he looked mad. So i shut up.......

mariahpup, i had to take my daughters pink princess lunch cooler to work one time. The guys at work gave me so much crap for it, so i said ok and took it to work every day till i forgot it at the river. Only Real men can wear pink.

RideNfish
01-15-2012, 04:03 PM
To Doug I wonder if his dog ever came out of his office after the 49ers thrilling victory on Saturday...his wife is a monster 49er fan and her avid vocal rooting often sends the dog hiding in the office...
Luck to All an go 9ers! Mariahpup

I watched the game too so I could comfort the dog with Deb's yelling, cus'n, and cheering. :biggrin: Good game though.

At Dude, I like the coin idea. Sound like a stingy slot machine dropping a coin. haha. That is great about the cork customizing you did. I have never had a cork roll around though. Always too rocky or uneven ground. Now if I was fishing boat ramps....

I forgot to tell you, last time out at Melones some guy had a chevy orange wine cork indacator, lol. I was gonna tell him RnF had ©Copywrites :tongue: but he looked mad. So i shut up.....

I need you to stand up for me better! LOL I have other variances on my corks that I haven't released yet. Waiting for market survey results.

Cheers,