PDA

View Full Version : Amador Es El Oh Double Yew

Adoboat
01-17-2012, 09:52 PM
spells SLOW.

Took the folda boat out to Amador at around 10:30. It was cold at 10:30. It must have been freezing at dawn.

Caught fish trolling a black woolly bugger black, brown/gold woolly bugger, broken back rapala and power egg/night crawler. One fish each. Except with the rapala, I used a bobber. The hits were far and few between, and they weren't very hard. The fish were active once they were hooked, but they were not taking my stuff very aggressively. On the woolly buggers, I got fish by setting the hook as soon as I saw a nibble. When I waited to feel the fish on my rod, the fish was gone.

Trolled at number 2 or 3 on my Minn Kota 55 lb thrust motor. Everyone was going trolling pretty slowly.

I took some time off the water at 1:00 to get some food and call into a meeting. Left around 4 o;clock with four good size trout, 18 to 20 inches, good weight.

hanahou7
01-18-2012, 07:51 AM
Those are some nice looking fish! At least you didn't get skunked...thanks for sharing and best of luck out there

Jfitalia
01-18-2012, 08:33 AM
so wait..... were you trolling with a bobber???

Adoboat
01-18-2012, 08:46 AM
I was. I do it when I troll at a low speed. My theory is that it keeps my wooly bugger or bait higher in the water. I'm not sure if it does any good, but I get more hits with it. I use a bubble bobber and vary the length between the bubble and the fly.

It also helps with spotting my line as I weave through the other boats.

CATKILLER
01-18-2012, 10:15 AM
I've tryed the water bobber and roster tail on the bank to get out ferther but have not
heared of it for trolling. I do not know but i think that weaveing through the boats is not a good idea
they mite get mad. Good luck to you, Nice fish!!!
CK :cool2:

TroutGhost
01-18-2012, 12:42 PM
When a lake gets crowded some weaving is going to happen. lol

That's a pretty good haul for a slow day and it sounds like you worked really hard for it. Thanks for sharing what worked for you, particularly on a lake that's lately been numerously referred to as Skunkador.

Marv
01-19-2012, 08:53 PM
Those are some bulldog trout, those dudes are tall. Nice to see a picture report from there, thanks.

troutsavvy
01-23-2012, 05:31 PM
Yes, trolling a fly on the bubble works great at Amador. We were fishing a month back out of my boat. We stopped to cast out wolly buggers on clear torpedo bubbles. No action so we fired up the rig and dropped our rapalas in. We trolled a couple hundred feet then remembered we still had one rod out with the bugger and bubble. Before we could get it in a trout whacked it hard. A few minutes later we boated a nice 3.5 lber. Now it is one of our go to methods when the normal stuff is not producing.

Are they still rolling the numbers on the board at Amador? I still don't think they are planting what they say in terms of quantity. This is getting like 'Liers Dice' only it a lot more expensive.

Jfitalia
01-23-2012, 06:52 PM
the main difference is they are using the boat to stock the fish instead of at the spillway. so the fish are staying away from that shoreline you guys fish. I'll be there Thursday so of anyone else is going give me a holler. I'll be in a aluminum boat with gamakatsu stickers on the sides

buckman78
01-24-2012, 10:53 AM
i was there on saturday for a few hours. it said 3600 lbs so far for janurary i think. i actually had a little report writen up on my phone, but then it died, and i didnt want to have to do it again. ill give a quick run through for you guys though.

launched around 745 saturday in my kayak. only three boats in parking lot with two pulling in.
first fish in 2 minutes on a rapalla. then nothing for a while. switched to grubs and got 4 more. had another on the rapalla after i lost my last grub.

not very many boats at all. it seemed those that were there, including bankies were catching fish. i got 5 with two broken off. it was pretty windy at times and i didnt see that many fish rolling when it was calm. oh, some jerk split me and 30 feet of shore in his boat doing about 30 mph with the whole lake on my right! almost lost it in the kayak fighting his wake and the waves from the wind. other than that it was a pretty decent day. off the water by 11.

first fish was a little over a pound, the rest were 3-5 lbs. used a trolling motor on my kayak and just went slow. hope this helps you guys out!

Adoboat
01-24-2012, 05:29 PM
Thanks Buckman. I think slow is important.
I just got a kayak, but haven't had the guts to fish on it yet. You're incident scares the beejesus out of me. I'm still watching, soaking in how you guys do it, building my courage.