PDA

View Full Version : Abalone Diving

derrickweldon
04-11-2007, 06:03 AM
Anyone going out this weekend?

abdiver12
04-11-2007, 11:23 PM
I wish I was! This is a little off topic but I was just wondering...how many of you guys ever dive by yourselves, ie without a buddy. I do it all the time though I don't recommend it. Anyone else done it before?

fishhook60
04-12-2007, 07:46 AM
i have ab dived a few times alone smooth water and remember where your weight release is usually when i dive with a buddy we not always to close in the water anyway if we got in trouble wouldnt be to much help to each other might be best to stay close but im sure not everyone is always

Foosdog
04-12-2007, 08:39 AM
In the past I too ab dive alone most of the time. *Scuba is a different story I try to have a buddy if possible.

red_dog
04-12-2007, 09:44 AM
I rarely dive with a buddy, the couple of times I did take people out (first timers) they were having all kinds of issues.

sethonious
04-12-2007, 09:50 AM
The weather and diving reports look kind of gnarly. Although Sunday, Monday and Tuesday Tides look GREAT!

abdiver12
04-12-2007, 11:25 AM
In the past I too ab dive alone most of the time. *Scuba is a different story I try to have a buddy if possible.

I totally agree. With scuba, if you get into trouble, a buddy can save your life with his octopus. With ab diving, if you get into trouble, there's not a whole lot he can do. In fact, you'll probably have drowned before he even knows anything is wrong. That's exactly what happened with my friend who drowned off Van Damm 3 years ago while only a few yards from his wife.

sethonious
04-12-2007, 11:34 AM
Just before and after the low tide. Less water to swim through to get to the bottom, and minimal tidal action.

abdiver12
04-12-2007, 11:41 AM
Got it, thanks man. You're right, the weekend and Monday looks great! A good opportunity to try for that elusive limit of 10 inchers.

fishhook60
04-12-2007, 05:13 PM
abdiver IF you dive for abolone with a partner it is safer although i dont always but if one stays on top and watches buddy dive and stay close you would be able to help if trouble arises

abdiver12
04-12-2007, 06:26 PM
My buddy and I usually dive in pretty deep water, usually 30-50 ft, average visibility, and always in very thick kelp. *When we tried that method, we found that we couldn't even see eachother after only a few yards much less when we hit bottom. *And we usually explore for a good 15-20 ft along the bottom for abs once we get there. *Bottom line is that the guy at the surface always loses track of the guy on the bottom and can do nothing to prevent drowning which can happen in seconds. *We know this because its nearly happened several times! *Don't get me wrong though, I still highly recommend diving with a buddy and always go with one when I get the chance. * :) *

derrickweldon
04-15-2007, 07:51 PM
Went out to Ocean Cove on Saturday, big waves and very poor visibility, I was only able to get one. Oh well still had fun, better luck next time.