PDA

View Full Version : Advice on area within 2 hrs drive of San Jose

fishtricity
01-18-2012, 02:43 PM
I took my pre-teen son fishing on Sunday to Del Valle and got skunked both at the narrows and the east beach. Very few people any fish. The bite was close to dead for more than half the people. Some guys had 4 fish after the usually 7am to 1pm session. I am fishing from the shore.

I was reading on the Camanche Facebook page that the bite was dead on Sunday, both in the trout pond and the south shore main lake. Of course, there are people that catch. However, it is hit or miss for most people. I am a below average angler both in knowledge and experience. For me to catch, I need the bite to be above average. I have been to Quarry Lakes four times and have never had a bite. That is not the lucky place for me.

I am willing to drive anywhere up to 2 hrs from San Jose. Is there any advice on where to go, either river or lake fishing from shore. We can use any technique and are happy to catch anything with fins. It doesn't necessarily have to be trout. I just want something to hit the line. We're familiar with powerbait, salmon egg, spoons, flies, with rigs that include sliding egg sinker, egg bobber, spinning, and fly fishing.

I get motion sickness and boat fishing is not an option. Any type of fish anywhere, ocean or lake is fine. If I sound like a desperate fishing, well, call it like it is.

CATKILLER
01-18-2012, 04:01 PM
Lake Pardee will open Feb 17 and will be a good bet to get some trout. It is about 2.5 hr's from SJ and is next to
Camanche. It will be packed the first weekend but after that not to bad. CLEANEST LAKE AND CAMP GROUNDS IN CA.
CK :dancingorange:

tuand01
01-18-2012, 04:56 PM
Wait till summer time and fish the delta for large mouth bass.
tuan

Jfitalia
01-18-2012, 05:34 PM
Wait till summer time and fish the delta for large mouth bass.
tuan

what? this is terrible advice to give someone that can't get on a boat and wants to catch fish now now 4 months from now...

the camanche trout pond can be hit and miss. however pardee would be a great bet after opening weekend.

tuand01
01-18-2012, 05:55 PM
Fish from shore at discovery bay. I used to catch a ton of fish there during the summer but got skunked these past few times

tuan

Polebrother
01-18-2012, 06:18 PM
Check out Sandy Wool lake in foothills above Milpitas. I haven't been there in years. I think they still stock it with trout. Hit or miss but close enough to San Jose to keep a constant eye on stocking/biting cycles. No boats allowed, bank fishing only. Ran into people who fished it regularly but they do not publicize their success. Visit the Sandy Wool website. Good luck!

H-man
01-18-2012, 06:46 PM
I would recommend Pardee, but be ready for crowds. lots of fish that are hungry, most limit quickly opening week.

HeyNiceFish
01-18-2012, 09:54 PM
Don't waste your time at the Delta if you don't have a boat! You spend all your time driving around finding spots than fishing. Unless you fish the Antioch pier for stripers.

You probably think i'm crazy... I live in Redwood City, not too far from San Jose. I use to keep my boat at a storage close to Del Valle. I would go there every weekend. But since the lake hasn't been hot for quite, I mean a very long time. I stopped going there and re-located the boat closer to Camanche, Pardee, Amador.. etc... on HWY 88. I've been going every other weekend. I'd spend 4-5 round trip on the drive. At least I get to bring home good size fish rather than a skunk.

Mark

fishtricity
01-19-2012, 06:39 AM
Thanks to everyone for the advice. I will try pardee when it opens. I'm going to take a day off tomorrow and take my son to camanche. His school has a holiday. I wonder how the fishing is near pinecrest and strawberry? We went there once in the summer and only caught one trout. There are some local lakes in our area that we catch bass at in the summer, but the bite has died in the winter. We also caught carp at Calero when the weather was warmer. I don't know the area very well. My son is the fisherman. I am the fisherboy's father. Any advice on catching anything with fins this month would be appreciated. I need to stay on shore. Thanks.

ryanerb
01-19-2012, 08:03 AM
What pound test line are you using?

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

ncreys
01-19-2012, 12:50 PM
hey fishtricity...imo, there are plenty of great spots to fish within 2 hours of San Jose. SandyWool lake is located in the milpitas foothills, right at the border of San Jose and it is stocked about every other week with trout; all the trout are dgf's, weighing .5 to 2 pounds. get there early and fish the points with a short leader...no more than 18 inches.The campell perc ponds, located just off 880 going towards los gatos, is another spot with stocked trout along with bass and crappie in the lake. One spot that is really hot right now is Lafayetter reservoir; it has docks to fish off of and plenty of spots for shore angling...i've always had luck off the metal dock to the right, throwing gulp floating corn with a long leader or under a sliding bobber setup. Then there's san pablo reservoir,which should be opening next month, like pardee lake; i would strongly recommend checking this spot out, but it's always super crowed on opening weekend. The final two spots, both are hit and miss right now for shore anglers..imo..are shadow cliffs and del valle..yes, i would still stick with del valle on the east beach, let's see how it picks up after the next rain. Shadow cliffs has always seemed to produce nice fish and definitely worth trying. i like to stay off the docks and fish along the trail going towards the third dock, throwing out power bait, power combos, floating crawlers, and kastmasters.

Being originally from san jose, i've fished all these spots and still do when i get a chance. These spots, as well as being much closer than camanche(camanche is a great place to fish), also offer, with the exception of sandy wool and the campell perc ponds, the chance to catch some really nice, stocked, trophy size trout. Definitely stick with it; good luck out there.

fishtricity
01-19-2012, 02:02 PM
Leader is 4 pound maxima green with a fairly light sliding egg sinker rig, #8 to #10 baitholder hook and white and chartreuse poweregg. The pole is rigged with a strike indicator. The egg bobber rig is the same with the clear bobber about half full and powerworm as bait. Kastmasters are 1/8 ounce to 1/12 ounce directly on 4 pound test mainline. The poles are rated ultralight for 4 pound test. We've been going before dawn and fishing through lunch. We often catch, but not the last time. I do not know the area very well.

If there are better places to go, I would be curious.

Dwight Manley
01-19-2012, 02:24 PM
I second Lafayette Res. It's within an hour drive from San Jo and it has pretty decent bank access.

They got a Lassen trout plant on Tuesday so those fish are probably about acclimated by now. You'll still catch 5-10 dfg cookie cutters before you get to one of those nice ones but if you do hook up with one of those bigger fish, they'll put up a great fight. Had one jump 3 times and rip off a bunch of line on me this last weekend.

I also saw a group of about 10 anglers pull in 40-50 fish from shore that day. They had over 17 poles lined up side spaced about 3' apart. They must have been fishing a tight school of fish cause they had many double & triple hook-ups

fishtricity
01-19-2012, 03:49 PM
ncreys, thank you for the information. I have printed this out and will review it with my son. Lacking experience and knowledge of the area, I have been relying on Tom Stienstra's fishing book. It gave Del Valle a high rating and we have had good days there in the past. Tomorrow, I plan to leave my house at around 6am for the drive to Camanche. We've had luck there in the past when we fished in the rain. I have also had no luck there. We'll probably try the south shore trout pond. It's a bit like gambling. Once I get a few coins coming out of any slot machine, I keep to that machine and spend all my time and money at it. A smarter man would move to a new slot machine.. sigh.. not me..

I have not been to Lafayette, San Pablo, SandyWool, or Shadow Cliffs. We went to Campbell Perc ponds a few times over the last few years. It's close to my house. I should try there again.

Do people think that the bite at Del Valle goes down when it rains? Maybe the fish can't see as well?

hanahou7
01-20-2012, 08:07 AM
In my experience, the first day it rains (and if it is a light rain) is usually pretty good...it seems like the fish move closer to the surface and will hit on lures. I think this is because of the cloud cover and activity on the surface, but I could be wrong.

However, once you get into the second or third day, I have found that the water gets pretty murky, and fishing gets slow. The fish can't see the lures, so you have to rely on bait fishing, and even at that it is hard for them to see the bait.

That is just my opinion, and I am not sure what other anglers have experienced.

Marv
01-20-2012, 09:19 AM
In my experience, the first day it rains (and if it is a light rain) is usually pretty good...it seems like the fish move closer to the surface and will hit on lures. I think this is because of the cloud cover and activity on the surface, but I could be wrong.

However, once you get into the second or third day, I have found that the water gets pretty murky, and fishing gets slow. The fish can't see the lures, so you have to rely on bait fishing, and even at that it is hard for them to see the bait.

That is just my opinion, and I am not sure what other anglers have experienced.

I agree, i have a crackpot theory that I thought up. When it's overcast raptor and predator birds don't fly they sit in a tree and are not active. Which gives the trout a little more freedom and security to play on the top column of water.

As far as muddy or stained water, i use garlic powerbait and you could add a dose of pro-cure garlic but the powerbait is pretty stank-o on its own.

From my very limited experience worms are a great option after or during rain. especially if you can get to the mouth of a feeder creek or a washout that dumps into the lake.

fishtricity
01-20-2012, 04:20 PM
First, thank you to everyone for their help. I wanted to share my experience to contribute back to the knowledge pool. I ended up going to Del Valle. The Camanche Facebook page indicated that the trout pond was not stocked this week. Since the drive is longer from San Jose, I decided to go the Del Valle, which is closer to my house. I arrived at 7am. I fished from the east beach shore near the main marina dock. The bite was light, meaning that the fish were not inhaling the bait, they would mouth it and then spit it out. My son had eight takes with no hook set. After consulting with the local gurus, he shortened his leader and moved down to a number #16 hook. This did the trick and he picked up two trout over 2 pounds. The combined weight was over 5 pounds. I think the smaller hook helped the novice hook set. Basically, I believe it let the trout inhale and mouth the bait more. There was another guy that pulled in 5 trout in a couple of hours. He was using a number 6 hook. However, he seemed pretty experienced. Obviously, the size of the hook didn't matter if a person was experienced. We lack experience with this type of fishing. I had a good fight with a trout that I hooked on a panther martin spinner. Unfortunately, I lost it prior to beaching it.

There were two groups next to me that got skunked. It wasn't an active bite. I would say that it was more medium due to the timid takes. For me, the aggressive take makes the fishing much easier.

The trout are closer to the bottom. I got no takes on a woolly bugger fished mid-level and not takes on a floating bubble rig. The panther martin probably had enough vibration to draw one in.

I would like to explore other places with great scenery.