PDA

View Full Version : Salmon bellies in SF bay area?

CaliMR
04-12-2007, 08:49 AM
Hi, anyone know where I can get salmon bellies in the SF bay area? I don't know why I need them, but my boss told me I have to find them for our fishing trip and looking for them gives me a good excuse to goof off at work.

Thanks
Cris

ric1ric
04-12-2007, 08:57 AM
CaliMR Sounds like your going shark fishing. You can usally get them from stores like Safeway or any other store with a nice fish dept. The thing you have to do though is make sure you get a reciept and take it fishing with you. It's only legal if you purchase it with a reciept. While your there buy some Calamari, the stuff from the meat market is always better than bait store quality.

timetofish
04-12-2007, 09:00 AM
CaliMR Sounds like your going shark fishing.

Or he read all the CS reports of all the halibuts caught using bellies *;)

slick88
04-12-2007, 09:31 AM
Hi, anyone know where I can get salmon bellies in the SF bay area? *I don't know why I need them, but my boss told me I have to find them for our fishing trip and looking for them gives me a good excuse to goof off at work.

Thanks
Cris

I've occasionally seen them at the Asian supermarkets like 99 Ranch or Pacific (on Alemany Blvd in SF).

sethonious
04-12-2007, 09:44 AM
The fish market at 7th and clement breaks down their salmon for sale by belly/head/loin instead of the safeway or albertsons stores that offer whole/steak/fillet. You can surely buy bellies at 7th and Clement. Also the fish market at 22nd and irving usually does the same thing. I haven't been to the 7th and Clement market in a while but I would bet that the price there is better than the sushi grade belly at 22nd and irving.

abdiver12
04-12-2007, 11:48 AM
If you're looking for cheap fish, in my experience, you can't beat the price or selection of Asian markets, especially Vietnamese. They'll even clean it for free. I remember searching futilely for squid in Safeway and Albertson's not long ago but when I went into an Asian market, they literally had barrels of them on ice, and of different sizes and species too! 2 huge bags cost me around $3.

keciga1
04-12-2007, 02:24 PM
The fish market at 7th and clement breaks down their salmon for sale by belly/head/loin instead of the safeway or albertsons stores that offer whole/steak/fillet. *You can surely buy bellies at 7th and Clement. *Also the fish market at 22nd and irving usually does the same thing. *I haven't been to the 7th and Clement market in a while but I would bet that the price there is better than the sushi grade belly at 22nd and irving.

What city?

tracy-ed
04-12-2007, 04:01 PM
keciga1-

I bet your answer comes back....."THE city", *;D ;D ;D ;D as that is what the native population calls their San Francisco.

I'm just a simple country boy *::) but the street names sound like SF.

-Ed

catfished
04-12-2007, 04:01 PM
The fish market at 7th and clement breaks down their salmon for sale by belly/head/loin instead of the safeway or albertsons stores that offer whole/steak/fillet. You can surely buy bellies at 7th and Clement. Also the fish market at 22nd and irving usually does the same thing. I haven't been to the 7th and Clement market in a while but I would bet that the price there is better than the sushi grade belly at 22nd and irving.

What city?
San Francisco, no doubt.

blue_chrush
04-12-2007, 04:32 PM
saw this on another site, could this be why......lol

All on salmon bellys soaked in borax and brown sugar.
http://www.coastsidefishingclub.com/forums/user_uploads/465403-Picture376.jpg *

blue_chrush
04-12-2007, 04:36 PM
I don't care if they caught them on candy bars from the girl scouts.
that is a 1st time I've heard of that combo, and trolling is still the best
way to cover alot of ground and get a fish....
there are way better baits and ways to get halis than this one...
my 2bits.....

slick88
04-12-2007, 05:00 PM
The fish market at 7th and clement breaks down their salmon for sale by belly/head/loin instead of the safeway or albertsons stores that offer whole/steak/fillet. *You can surely buy bellies at 7th and Clement. *Also the fish market at 22nd and irving usually does the same thing. *I haven't been to the 7th and Clement market in a while but I would bet that the price there is better than the sushi grade belly at 22nd and irving.

What city?

As others have said, these stores are in San Francisco.

abdiver12
04-12-2007, 06:35 PM
Wow, beautiful halibut. That's some great eating. Never knew you could catch them on salmon bellies though! I learn something new every day.

Jerrdirt
04-12-2007, 07:02 PM
Ranch 99 is located in El Cerrito, Fremont and Milpitas. Whoa those halibut's are nice, but I doubt they caught it on salmon belly. My buddy Mike from Mike's bait in Oakland had a few dozen of Shiner's in his tank the other day and for sure those will work.

fishenrick
04-12-2007, 09:44 PM
Yep, they have been using it for hali bait, they say the oils in the salmon bellies gives off a great scent, just check out the other site cs and read the reports.

AKtoCA
04-12-2007, 11:06 PM
In Alaska we would use salmon heads on those crazy circle hooks in hopes of hooking a monster. I'm sure it would work here, just might not get as many bites. You know what they say...big baits=big fish!

Jan_from_Humboldt
04-13-2007, 05:54 PM
The problem I see with using salmon bellies for California Butts is that you will attract every shark and bat ray for a 150 yards, also sturgeon are a possibility.

They work great for Pacific Halibut but I think you'd be better off trolling a jumbo sardiene or a herring fot the Caalifornia halibut.

ZACK
04-14-2007, 08:50 AM
The problem I see with using salmon bellies for California Butts is that you will attract every shark and bat ray for a 150 yards, also sturgeon are a possibility.

They work great for Pacific Halibut but I think you'd be better off trolling a jumbo sardiene or a herring fot the Caalifornia halibut.

Never used them but I am sure they would work fine considering they basically look like a swim bait with a whole lot more scent and would stay together fine if cured up. Will it out fish herring, or anchovy? Probably not any better, maybe just as good???
ZACK!