PDA

View Full Version : how to cut up frozen halibut ?

krazybob-1
01-21-2012, 09:57 AM
My sis-in-law sent me a filet of frozen halibut about 10 #, and I'd like to cut it into usable pieces without thawing it and then vacuum pack the pieces for later. Some for BBQ, and some for deep frying. I've never had an occasion to cut up a solidly frozen fish before, and not sure of the best way to go about this chore. I do have an electric slicer, but haven't ever tried to cut up anything frozen before. Would appreciate some ideas from those who have gone this way before :undecided:

krazybob-1
01-22-2012, 07:49 AM
My sis-in-law sent me a filet of frozen halibut about 10 #, and I'd like to cut it into usable pieces without thawing it and then vacuum pack the pieces for later. Some for BBQ, and some for deep frying. I've never had an occasion to cut up a solidly frozen fish before, and not sure of the best way to go about this chore. I do have an electric slicer, but haven't ever tried to cut up anything frozen before. Would appreciate some ideas from those who have gone this way before :undecided:

Well I came up with my own solution. I found a meat saw, which is a BIG version of a hack saw. It did the job very well. I just cut about 3/4 the way through, and snapped the piece off. Then vacum packed each chunk, and will cut to size when I thaw them to use. :bananadevil: