PDA

View Full Version : sailor bar trout fishing???

Sac/Striper/Slayer
01-25-2012, 08:15 AM
i recently moved to less then a mile and a half from sailor bar and have my county parks pass and want to try to catch some trout out there. i have salmon fished the area years ago and have recreated there and know the area pretty well but not sure where to catch some fish. i have heard of people catching them in the boat ramp area and right below that and my buddies dad claims he catches trout year round on night crawlers in that spot but wont help me out with any specs. any info would b awesome. planning on going out saturday. was gonna hit the port for striper but plans change. thanks

MasterBaiter
01-26-2012, 09:23 AM
Just remember to make sure that you have your Steelhead Punch Card for trout fishing in that area. The American reaches the ocean, so the trout are classified as Steelhead according to length. Make sure your card is filled out before hitting the water. We have been checked twice - and read the regs regarding barbless hooks in that section of river.

We were out last weekend and watched 3 nice steelhead landed below the boat ramp, just above the island. 1 nice fish landed on the other side of the river agains the bank. Had a couple of hits on night crawlers, but nothing stuck. Good Luck.

LURKER916
01-26-2012, 01:50 PM
+1 on the steelhead report card
They are juvenile steelies and are funner than heck to catch. I also have luck with small spinners. Panther martins 6 silver blade.
Make sure you check the regs for the hooks and barbs restrictions on the American River. That's a pricey little fine you don't want to pay.

Sac/Striper/Slayer
01-27-2012, 08:45 AM
+1 on the steelhead report card
They are juvenile steelies and are funner than heck to catch. I also have luck with small spinners. Panther martins 6 silver blade.
Make sure you check the regs for the hooks and barbs restrictions on the American River. That's a pricey little fine you don't want to pay.

thanks.luckily i am pretty nerdy when it comes to the regs and have all of what i need to fish there including my card. i am more a catch and release guy so on the natomas fish i hear ya. i have read about the mercury levels and sewage leaks. i am very fimiliar with panther martins from my time fishing the carson river. i am going to go try at el monte tomorrow i think. i just moved within 1.7 miles of sailor bar and am ready to fish hard. thanks for the info