PDA

View Full Version : South bay 4-7

cuhogn
04-07-2007, 06:23 PM
Hooked up with Buoy 33 and Freon and made our 1st trip after halibut. But after looking at some posts about some great sturgeon activity we decided to make it a combo trip and chase sturgeon until the incoming started around 11 and then chase the "butts". Headed down the bay and anchored up in about 20' of water, we weren't there 10 mins when Ron got a pull down and was hooked up :). The fish took line immediately and new we had a good fish on, as it was now away from the boat quite aways we left the other rods in the water in case there were more in the area, we'll it didn't take long and James set the hook on what appears to be an undersized. I clear my rod and get set to land the fish and James gets his to the boat and turns out to be a small Leopard :-/. All the while Ron's fish is not giving in, finally we get it close to the surface and see its another large Leopard. Finally we able to get in the boat , *just shy of 50" snapped a couple of picture and off it went. James then caught another and finally I hooked another fish close to Ron's size and then he hooks up another that was close to the same size. Tide finally stopped and headed up to Oyster Point around 11. Got rigged and started trolling north and Ron's is hooked up with and undersized butt. [smiley=yahoo.gif] at least this targeted species is cooperating we think. Trolled for another 4 hours with no other hits :(. Did hear of a couple of radio fish in the area but it wasn't a hot bite. Good day on the water with great friends.

Ron fighting the leopard
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/501/the_fight.jpg

James now hooked up
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/501/james1.jpg

Ron's fish
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/501/lepoard.jpg

STURIPER
04-07-2007, 06:39 PM
cuhogn,

Thanks for the report! Nice pic of your Leopard! How was the wind?

Joey

cuhogn
04-07-2007, 06:45 PM
Very very light breeze until around noon when it came up to about 10 out of the west but it wasn't steady, little lump on the ride back over to the SL Marnia

fernley_tim
04-07-2007, 06:54 PM
nice report cuhogan ;)sounds like you guys had a great time, great pic of that lepoard.

cuhogn
04-07-2007, 08:04 PM
Tim
How the "cutts"doing, you out latley?

kromebrite
04-07-2007, 09:07 PM
This is going to be a good year in the bay 8-)
Nice pics and report.

fernley_tim
04-07-2007, 09:19 PM
cuhogn pyramid has been pretty slow for me the last couple times out other reports sound better than mine :'( I might give it a try in the morning after I get off work if I can stay awake ;D did catch a nice mack at stampede on tuesday though :) im heading down to moss after salmon on monday ill post a report when I get back. tight lines :)

cuhogn
04-08-2007, 05:25 AM
Posted by: kromebrite

This is going to be a good year in the bay

At least the pattern should be a "normal" one ;) Did see some small spots of bait on the meter yesterday so it's going to be soon that it opens up.

FT
Good luck chaseing the salmon, hope to see you at the fest in 2weeks at Pyramid.

DanClark
04-08-2007, 07:38 AM
Thanks for the report, ocean does not look good for end of week, may troll for hali.s instead.

Good Fishing
Dan

keciga1
04-08-2007, 12:25 PM
Great report, loved the pictures. They should start showing anytime now.

Ivan

freon
04-09-2007, 06:40 AM
Alan, it sure was fun fishing with you and Ron again, check your email for more pics ;)
Those leopards are sure feisty little fish, cant wait for the butts to really start showing up :D