PDA

View Full Version : When the fishing is slow, what do you use?

robertalvis23
01-28-2012, 04:09 PM
I'm always curious what fishermen do on days when the bite is slow, or altogether off, to get some action. My father and I dig deeper and deeper into the tackle box until we end up with this old, faded, green rooster tail. It's an ongoing joke that by the time we're down to that particular lure, we have waved the white flag.

Paul_707
01-28-2012, 06:30 PM
id go with a worm

Bigg A
01-28-2012, 07:56 PM
I'm always curious what fishermen do on days when the bite is slow, or altogether off, to get some action.

Toss an alabama rig around......:grin: :grin: :grin:

mandoman70
01-28-2012, 08:20 PM
Flylining a whole nightcrawler.

mandoman70

Bigg A
01-28-2012, 09:09 PM
Clear bubble/power worm

LURKER916
01-28-2012, 09:48 PM
Slow retrieve whooly bugger. Behind a clear float.

Captain Compassion
01-28-2012, 10:38 PM
I'm always curious what fishermen do on days when the bite is slow, or altogether off, to get some action.

Drink beer. http://www.gifs.net/Animation11/Food_and_Drinks/Alcoholic_Beverages/beer_2.gif

CC

Talon
01-28-2012, 11:39 PM
DuPont spinner with a blue and silver 1 ounce Kastmaster so you know where it went to.
:wileecoyote1:

tinytrout
01-29-2012, 11:02 AM
Couple of Beers and a stick of dynamite works every time.

Tiny

ILuvFishing
01-29-2012, 06:16 PM
a couple of beers and dont watch your pole while fishing and have someone else look at your poles every once in awhile seems to work for my group

LURKER916
01-29-2012, 09:17 PM
+1 on the couple of beers

SJPanfisher28
01-29-2012, 09:56 PM
When the fishing's slow, I use a 1/4 oz Kastmaster or nightcrawlers.

RideNfish
01-30-2012, 08:03 AM
+1 on walk away.
The best is to walk wwwaaaayyyyyy down the bank to talk to someone where you can barely see you pole. Then do a full sprint on rocky shores in combat boots and get there just in time to feel the fish GET OFF!!!

It's true, just ask Mariahpup. He saw me do it. :rotfl2:

Marv
01-30-2012, 08:13 AM
Im with the walk too. I'll take a walk and pick up old line and trash and mabye find a lure or 2. Sometimes eating a sandwich works too :) as soon as i wash my hands and take a bite, jingle,jingle goes the bell.

Fish Raider
01-30-2012, 08:50 AM
Sacrifice a chicken to the almighty fish gods.. Then say olaaasema... Lol

Fish on

I caught a fish once

trollingplate
01-31-2012, 06:52 PM
I use recent memories of how much energy, effort, and determination it
took to be successful in my career and how glad and relieved I am to
just be able to fish and go camping. Fish or no fish..just being able to do it...away from
the corporate machine... I still talk with friends in the industry; and man,
the worst day of fishing is better... you know the rest...

oh yeah.. have a transitor radio handy..remember those?

g

redneckpunk
02-01-2012, 04:00 PM
I've tried the whole switching rigs, bait, etc. But it always comes back to finding a distraction such as the sandwich, tying new leaders, strightening up the tackle box, etc.. It always seems as though the fish know when youre not paying attention and chose that instance to bite. Best distraction I learned this past weekend is having four kids fishing with you. Theres always a tangled line, snag, broken bobber, empty hook, and countless other things to deal with allowing plenty of free feeding on my bait.

~RNP

Big Game
02-01-2012, 04:29 PM
#1) Distance Theory. The further away from your rod the better. My mom used to say "a watched pot never boils"

#2) Sandwich theory. Just as soon as you get out a great big ol' sandwich with Salami and Cheese, mayo and mustard oozing from your bread you are almost guaranteed to improve your chances.......

Tight Lines, Big Game

Talon
02-01-2012, 10:23 PM
+1 on walk away.
The best is to walk wwwaaaayyyyyy down the bank to talk to someone where you can barely see you pole. Then do a full sprint on rocky shores in combat boots and get there just in time to feel the fish GET OFF!!!

It's true, just ask Mariahpup. He saw me do it. :rotfl2: The last time I used that method was January 3rd 2010. It worked after a whole day of skunk. The down side was that it involved a whole lot of screaming, morphine, an ambulance ride, several hours laying on a gurney in an ER. Followed by a ride through the airport in Sacramento in a wheel chair, on the way to Hawaii, surgery, and 6 months off work. I no longer recomend the method. As a note the offending fish was landed by some of the people who were helping me and did indeed pay the ultimate price to injuring me.

Jfitalia
02-01-2012, 11:16 PM
I go to dark colored jigs like brown, drk green, smoke with red flake

shadbuster
02-02-2012, 10:22 AM
I agree with the walking away or sandwich method, best though is walking off to answer natures call, come back and there is your buddy holding a fish that came in on your pole, works every time.

robertalvis23
02-02-2012, 07:40 PM
Used the two guys attempting to untangle a line while not paying attention to the other poles trick to perfection today.