PDA

View Full Version : Question about butts

Trout_Terminator
04-07-2007, 03:00 PM
How do you prefer to fish for them and what are some rigs (what are some set-up, for like bait fishing, trolling, stuff like that). Also, how do you look for butts on a fish finder? What characteristics do you looks for, or what type of under what structure are you looking for?
thanks for the help,

-TT

FF_MYRL
04-07-2007, 04:48 PM
I use a 3 way swivel. 1 eye to your main line, 1 eye to a drop loop (10"), for your weight (torpedo), and 1 eye to your leader (5.5'), with a 2/0 thin wire hook (gamakatsu). Your drop loop for your weight should be lighter line than your main line. I use 12-15# test for the drop loop. The reason for the light line on the drop loop: is that if you hang up, you normally only loose your weight. For my leader I use 20-25# test and my leader is 5.5'. The reason my leader is 5.5' is that: when your live bait is swiming and your boat is going up and down in the swell it, does not jerk your bait back and forth. Make sure you use a live bait loop for your hook. This lets your bait swim free. Change your bait every 15-20 minutes.

The butts will be found on your sandy and muddy bottoms. Look for bait close to the bottom on your fishfinder. let the slow tide/wind push your boat over the depth changes. The depth changes is where you will pick up the fish. The butts sit on the breaks and let the current push the bait fish to them.

There is a real good dvd for live bait fishing the bay. It can be found at several bait shops and its call hooked on fishing the golden gate (volume 1).

hope this helps,
rodney

Trout_Terminator
04-07-2007, 05:24 PM
it did, thank you, but can i buy the DVD online? Also, what size hooks, and where can i pick up live bait in the bay?

keciga1
04-07-2007, 05:30 PM
Here ya go. You can also find the DVD at Fishermans Warehouse. As far as the hooks go, owner has some really good live bait hooks with a ring. Since you're using anchovies as bait you want to use no bigger then a 2/0-3/0 live bait hooks. The live bait in Berkeley ussually starts in the beggining of may.

http://www.alureproductions.com/Pages/Tapes.html

Ivan

Trout_Terminator
04-07-2007, 06:00 PM
Here ya go. You can also find the DVD at Fishermans Warehouse. As far as the hooks go, owner has some really good live bait hooks with a ring. Since you're using anchovies as bait you want to use no bigger then a 2/0-3/0 live bait hooks. The live bait in Berkeley ussually starts in the beggining of may.

http://www.alureproductions.com/Pages/Tapes.html

Ivan

how long are the vids? i think i am going to get Vol.1 & vol. 2. Thanks for the link keciga1 :D

-TT

keciga1
04-07-2007, 07:51 PM
Not completely sure how long but they're over an hour long. Vol. 4 is 160min. I belive.

ivan

DanClark
04-08-2007, 07:49 AM
Got to put in your time, learn the tides, learn to troll, if you put the time in you will get them.

Good Fishing
Dan