PDA

View Full Version : Bait tanks

smithstation
03-27-2007, 12:12 PM
Zack, Joey, Brandon- this one is for you. ;)

So lets see or hear of some cheep good used or homemade bait tanks to use or build. I will probably only use one 2-3 times a year and dont want to spend a lot. Any ideas, post'em up!!

Zack, what you got?? :-?

timetofish
03-27-2007, 12:22 PM
[smiley=thumbsup.gif] Here's a pretty good tutorial I was thinking about doing but will wait to see what else is out there. I definetly want to see what ZACK has to offer. I'm in the same boat as you Smith with the fact that I would only use it a couple times a year and would like to keep it simple.

http://www.kayaksportfishing.com/equipment/submissions/ted/bait_tank/livewell.htm

sethonious
03-27-2007, 12:30 PM
I like these:
http://www.livebaitlarry.com/bait_bag.asp

You could totally rip off this design, you don't have to buy this.

The bait bags detach and fold away so they don't take up much room. Also all you have to do is run your salt water deck hose into the bait bag and you don't have to worry about installing a tank/power/water line into the gunwale etc. (i.e. boat surgery) Just mount a braket, hang the bag and turn on a hose. Can't beat the bait bag. The bait bag also becomes a convenient kill box (for keeping dry blood off the deck and out of the ice chest) when not used for bait. Many a ling cod has bled out in our bait bag before seeing the inside of the ice chest. Really cuts down on boat scrubbing time.

ZACK
03-27-2007, 01:39 PM
So you wan't to know how a "Po Boy" can not only afford to fish but out fish his "money is no limit" brotha??? ;D

Look man,
you don't have to be rich to catch fish (not meaning "Rich Tipton" but "rich" meaning wealthy ;D ) and I will now take a minute and post on live wells. Keep in mind that I fish ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL day and the health and well being of my bait over rules anything else in a bait well design (cosmetics included). There are many ways to do this. I have tried many others and many of my own proto types before settling on the one I have now.

Don't want to cut a hole in your hull??? ;D I don't blame ya. Material you will need is a Rule 750 pump either attached to a swim platform, or thread in a 1/2 inch by 2 inch ( I think) long sprinkler plastic pipe and slide on a steel washer and a ruber gasket. I shove this through my drain plug hole which is off course below the water line and on the other end of the pipe on the outside of boat /drain plug I attach another rubber and steel washer followed by a female cup link of white threaded pipe that I thread down until it pushes both rubber and steel washers together making a water tight seal. From the pump to the live well I attach reinforced hose that goes up to the top of the 30 gallon plastic barrell. These arenít the giant 50 gallon drums / barrels but the smaller 30 gallon ones. I get these 30 gallon barrells in white from the car wash (I like them because their prior contents were soap not harmful chemicals). The water is carried to the top of the barrell and attaches to a plastic elbo mounted fitting that carries the water by more plastic sprinkler pipe (white) straight down the barrell and displaces the in flow directly on the flat bottom of the barrell about 2 inches from the bottom. This is important. You do not want it fired directly at or on your bait stressing them further. Some people like to cap the inflow pipe at the bottom and instead drill small holes in the pipe every couple of inches clear down to the bottom with the thought that this will create a whirl pool motion and keep the bait swimming in circles but I like my way of water entering at the bottom and exited out of the top to allow the tank to completely cycle. Anchovyís and sardines are tuff as nails but screw with their water and they will die in the amonia of their own waste. My out flow is fastened 2/3 up the barrell and allows the bait to swim in roughly 20 gallons of constant fresh bay, or ocean water. Because of the round barrel design fish never get caught in corners stressing themselves but instead spend the day swimming un enterupted. You can use a 2 inch clear rubber hose for your exit water as long as you like. Mine exits in the back space of my boat. You will also need a drain screen. I personally used a thick flexible kiddie cup with 1/4 inch holes drilled in it all over its surface. Make it out of what ever you want or go to a pool supply. The only thing I strongly suggest is that it be cone shaped to avoid dead baits from clogging it up, or live baits getting suck in it.

To hold the well in place I center mine with the out board and use one of those nylon straps with a hook on both ends that has a little winch on one side and I attach it to one of my tie down brackets on the outside back of my boat, have it come up and wrap it around my live well once and connect it to the other tie down bracket and winch it tight so it won't move in rough seas. Once it is full of water and operating the weight of all the water Once it is full of water and operating the weight of the water (water weighs almost 8 lbs a gallon) plus the straps keep it stationary.

I know I did a p!ss poor job of describing this so ask and I will try to clear up my design description. ZACK!

Know_Excuses
03-27-2007, 04:44 PM
I love it!! Pics would help alot.I hope you dont mind if a few of us steal your design? ;D

ZACK
03-27-2007, 05:14 PM
I love it!! Pics would help alot.I hope you dont mind if a few of us steal your design? ;D

It's all good. I take no pleasure in sitting quietly thinking I am something while allowing others to make mistakes that I could have helped them avoid. I am getting off of work now and I will try to take some pic's and post them later either tonight, or tomorrow.
It is convienent. Put the well in for the summer and take it out in october and switch the whole boat over to stripers, dino's, and river Salmon. I like the plastic barrel for its streght too. I tried to make wells of all sorts of other stuff and they wore apart.

Besides we have some good minds here and maybe someone will take my design and run with it making a better one.

ZACK!

foggy
03-27-2007, 05:51 PM
I have been looking for a cheap tank for a while and I finally found one.Im not to sure on posting a picture but the dimensions are 20Ē round and 12 Ĺ ď deep and they are white I was told their 18 gallon. they have a clamp on lid, which is what sold me, but the best part of the deal is that they are 10 bucks each.
*I bought 2 last week but they might run out. The guy that works at the salvage yard said they do not get them in that often and did not think they would last that long.
If any one wants a picture I could send it from work tomorrow just send me a pm.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *foggy

ZACK
03-28-2007, 08:22 AM
Here are a few picís of my bait tank. Not built for looks but very functional. I now have barrels that come in all white instead of white with a green top but that is what I had available to me at the time. This tank is around 10 years old. Also, I have tried other manufactures bait pumps but I have to say the brand rule has had the most longevity. The core design is sound but the cosmetics are oakie. You can wire it any way you like and even install a switch which would make life much more convenient so you donít have to un hook the pumps power on long trips, etc. You can see the large exit that attaches to a permenantly fixed outlet hose that I route through the gunnel and out my transom straped to the linkage and steering cables. I am glad I took the picís so you can see that a few details I gave you in the above description are a bit off. What can I say my memory ainít what it used to be. This is my tank, I canít wait to see what improvements you guys make for yours?

ZACK!

Also, buy a cheap bait net like the one in the pic from Walmart, etc, but do fill the handle with spray foam. Nothing worst than some body dropping the net over board and having to try to catch your bait by hand the rest of the day (been there hated that ;D)

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/7352/baitwellhd0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img111.imageshack.us/img111/6701/baitwell1qf0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img111.imageshack.us/img111/3743/baitwell2gf0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/1255/baitwell3dj7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Rusty_Hooks
03-28-2007, 08:47 AM
creative ideas here....I'll just print these up and hold on to them.....

both ideas are good...

for those of you in the Santa Rosa area, you can get [plastic tanks at Baetaffs on Mountain View just down from Friedmans...asstd sizes and cheap too ;)

smithstation
03-28-2007, 10:35 AM
Thanks Zack,
I love the idea of going through the drain hole for the water supply. I have a couple of 15 and 35 gallon barrels that should work. They were used to ship pepsi syrup in so they should be ok.

How many scoops of bait will 2-3 guys go through in 8 hours of fishing? I know it depends on the bite and all but on average how much bait do you take?

STURIPER
03-28-2007, 05:42 PM
ZACK,

Nice pic's!! Your a Pimp!!!

wmgraphics
03-28-2007, 06:30 PM
I 2nd that!
I catch lots of bait- macks, dines, etc., down in Santa cruz and Cap on my way out to do some Ling fishing. My bait well just isn't cutt'n it *:(. So off to get some supplies to build me a new one, thanks for the ideas and insperation.

foggy
03-28-2007, 07:43 PM
creative ideas here....I'll just print these up and hold on to them.....

both ideas are good...

for those of you in the Santa Rosa area, you can get [plastic tanks at Baetaffs on Mountain View just down from Friedmans...asstd sizes and cheap too ;)

Thanks, Rusty Hooks I could not remember the name of the business he is located on Mountain View. I have always known it as the barrel guy.

ZACK
04-06-2007, 12:29 PM
Thanks Zack,
I love the idea of going through the drain hole for the water supply. I have a couple of 15 and 35 gallon barrels that should work. They were used to ship pepsi syrup in so they should be ok. *

How many scoops of bait will 2-3 guys go through in 8 hours of fishing? I know it depends on the bite and all but on average how much bait do you take?

If it is a legit half scoop then one 1/2 scoop should last 3 guys all day.

Trout_Terminator
04-07-2007, 04:51 PM
think if i put a filter in a 10 gal. cooler would work for a bait tank?

-TT

ZACK
04-07-2007, 07:17 PM
think if i put a filter in a 10 gal. cooler would work for a bait tank?

-TT

No! ;D

It ain't a lake out there. ;D Your boat is gonna be rockin and rollin all day long and you need a container with a top with a hole in it to keep the water in. You also need one big enough to keep a 1/2 ah scoop (150 + anchovys) alive for the day. You don't have to have one as big as mine but you do need to have one with a shape like it.
Your gonna love this type of fishing and it might even ruin trout fishing for ya for as long as you live.
Myself, I hate fresh water fishing! ;D
Any salt water fish can take a fresh water fish of equal size and turn its a$$ inside out! ;D
Just kiddin, but I do find myself only doing it once every couple of years. ZACK!

Trout_Terminator
04-07-2007, 09:48 PM
looks like i am going to be busy for a couple of weekends ;D