PDA

View Full Version : Not much of a trout guy: Tahoe trip this weekend 2/3-2/5

F33rNoFish
01-30-2012, 09:27 AM
hey all, headed to tahoe this weekend and thought i'd bring a couple rods with me to shore fish from the lake.

i'll probably bring some small raps, spoons and kastmasters, along with powerbait/eggs, but if you guys have any pointers that would be much appreciated.

also, i would assume that a NV fishing license would be necessary, correct? do they have day licenses like we do in CA?

thanks and any info would be appreciated!

tight lines.

fnf

edit: forgot to mention we'll be in south lake tahoe, so the closest spot to the lake is what we'll likely try.

thanks again!

Marv
01-30-2012, 09:54 AM
Depends where you fish, what part are you staying at? Some of the lake is in CA. If you fish the Nevada side im sure you'll need a licence, im sure they have a daily/2 day pass. I know crap about lake Tahoe fishing, lol. I have read quite a few comments on the web saying it's tuff goings from the bank.

Captin Tahoe should be steer you in the right dirrection. Good luck and go get'em.

F33rNoFish
01-30-2012, 10:05 AM
Depends where you fish, what part are you staying at? Some of the lake is in CA. If you fish the Nevada side im sure you'll need a licence, im sure they have a daily/2 day pass. I know crap about lake Tahoe fishing, lol. I have read quite a few comments on the web saying it's tuff goings from the bank.

Captin Tahoe should be steer you in the right dirrection. Good luck and go get'em.

yeah man. i've been reading that too. BUT, if it's no fishing or fishing from the bank, i'd rather fish from the bank! haha

we're staying in south lake tahoe so the closest access to fish on the lake is what we're going to hit. on g maps it looks like the keys are the closest point of reference and that seems to be part of CA, so i think i'm ok with just my CA license.

i'll hit up mr. cpt. tahoe.

thx!

Captain Compassion
01-30-2012, 10:16 AM
A California license will work on any part of Lake Tahoe including the Nevada side. The same goes for a Nevada license. The best shore fishing is off the rocks at Cave Rock. This is on the nevada side off of 50 north of Stateline. Again, if you have a California license then you are good to go anywhere on Tahoe.

CC

F33rNoFish
01-30-2012, 10:32 AM
A California license will work on any part of Lake Tahoe including the Nevada side. The same goes for a Nevada license. The best shore fishing is off the rocks at Cave Rock. This is on the nevada side off of 50 north of Stateline. Again, if you have a California license then you are good to go anywhere on Tahoe.

CC

great! thanks for the tip!

are any of the piers fishable to the right of the keys? looking at google earth i see about two or three piers below stateline.

one of them is fairly long.

TahoeLund
01-30-2012, 07:37 PM
no real piers to fish off of on south shore. If you realy want to get a feel for fishing in tahoe kick down and go out wiht one of the many guides that are running right now. I know Tahoe Sportfishing at ski run is running, also i think gene St Dennis is running. The fishing is off the hook out there and will be worth every penny. Nothing more spectactular that being out on tahoe in the winter fishing

F33rNoFish
01-30-2012, 07:48 PM
I wouldnt mind doing a guided outting but the thing is that we don't have much time to make it worth our while. At best we'll get a couple to a few hours of fishing in the early morning so we can head back and spend time with the rest of the family.

Eh. We'll get out there and try our luck.

Big_D
01-30-2012, 09:25 PM

CC

The Good Captains advice is right on the money.

Get yourself a worm blower and try inflated night crawlers.

F33rNoFish
01-30-2012, 09:28 PM
The Good Captains advice is right on the money.

Get yourself a worm blower and try inflated night crawlers.

I'll give that a shot!

F33rNoFish
02-06-2012, 11:36 AM
thanks to everyone who replied and helped.

went out there on saturday afternoon, but just casted rainbow kastmaster a few times since we were with the entire crew (two families, one infant baby - too cold).

didnt look like there was anything going on anyhow. that was at the dixie boat dock and casted from the shore (cant fish off the pier :().

then yesterday (sunday) morning we headed out to cave rock as suggested. it was about 7a and i thought it was a bit of a late start. no one else was out there.

my good bud, my son and i went out there. it was COLD! my son and i were properly dressed, but my buddy wasnt. i set my son's rod up with power bait/worm combo. first cast...snagged! bad start. broke the line and decided to use a bobber with the same pb/worm combo.

casted out a few times with no luck.

i used a silver kroc and casted out in a fanning motion, but same results...nada!

we stuck around for about an hour and a half and called it quits. wimped out to have some coffee (hot cocoa for my son) and my buddy decided to gamble his last budgeted $60. lost that in about 20 minutes, so the same fishing luck we had stuck around with him on his gambling adventure. haha

still no fish for the year, however, i have a great experience that my son and i will remember for years to come.

attached is a pic of my son and buddy before the sun came up over the mountains...beautiful!

RideNfish
02-06-2012, 11:50 AM
Thanks for reporting back. Sorry about the fish but it wasn't important. You recognized the scenery around you and time with your family and friends.

Good job!
Cheers,

Marv
02-06-2012, 05:46 PM
I haved done Christmas there a couple time in a cabin/house. Tahoe rocks, fish or not it's a great place to be. Hopefuly this summer i can make it up and fish the Carson :)