PDA

View Full Version : Try Arrowtooth Flounder

calamari
02-01-2012, 08:43 AM
Arrowtooth Flounder populations in the home range of Pacific Halibut have exploded directly competing with young Halibut for food and adult Halibut for fishermen's lures and bait. A fishery for them is trying to be established by Alaska but they have a poor reputation based on what seems to be bad information. Strong smell, mushy texture, and poor taste none of which I found to be true.
Winco markets carries Arrowtooth Flounder and it is cheap. I bought two nice fillets and cooked them for dinner last night and they were delicious. Very mild with the texture of catfish without it being too moist like catfish can be. Firmer than sole.
I sprinkled cajun dry rub on the fillets and then packed Panko crumbs on them just before they went into a skillet with hot oil. Took them out and drizzled fine lines of Teriyaki sauce on them and served it with coleslaw that I'd added Wasabi horse radish to. Delicious and about $3 a pound cheaper than any other fish except Swai fillets(Vietnamese tiger catfish) which I am going to try next.
Do Pacific Halibut, everyone who fishes for them, and yourself a favor and try Arrowtooth Flounder.

BIG_ONE
02-04-2012, 01:28 AM
Hmm...interesting. I may need to give it a try. But as far as Swai Catfish goes - THEY ARE THE BEST WHITE MEAT FISH I'VE EVER ATE. PERIOD. Swai are actually a cousin of the Giant Mekong Catfish, looks very similar as well. They are somewhat a miniature version of a Giant Mekong Catfish but still reaches well over 30lbs. Very delicious...

Axminster
02-04-2012, 11:26 PM
What I know about arrowtooth is that they are a bycatch species that were dumped back into the ocean until recently. Some one found that if you treat the fillets is a chemical bath their taste and texture is improved. They do the same thing to spoiled shrimp, scallops and god knows what else. You get what you pay for.

CRABBY
02-05-2012, 06:56 AM
Little effort has been directed to catching arrowtooth flounder due to the poor quality of their flesh. Upon landing, a proteolytic enzyme released from a myxosporean parasite causes softening of the flesh that further limits their marketability. Recently, several food grade additives have been successfully used that inhibit enzymatic breakdown. These discoveries have recently enabled a targeted fishery in the Kodiak Island area for marketable products including surimi and frozen fillets.
Excerpt from the Alaska Fisheries Science Center ........Don

calamari
02-06-2012, 03:16 PM
The parasite that causes the flesh to soften when cooked is found in both wild and aquacultured fish throughout the world. It is harmless to humans. Here's a list of Pacific Coast fish that have the parasite.

North America
Merluccius productus
Pacific hake (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hake)

Oncorhynchus spp.
Pacific salmon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salmon)

Icelinus filamentosus
Threadfin sculpin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sculpin)

Ophiodon elongatus
Lingcod (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lingcod)

Aulorhychus flavidus
Tube-snout (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tube-snout)

Salmo salar
Atlantic Salmon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_Salmon)

Reinhardtius stomias
Arrowtooth Flounder (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flounder)

Eopsetta jordani
Petrale sole (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sole_(fish))

Hippoglossus stenolepis
Pacific halibut (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halibut)

Microstomus pacificus
Dover sole (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sole_(fish))

Lepidopsetta bilineatus
Rock sole (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sole_(fish))

Platichthys stellatus
Starry flounder (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flounder)

Parophrys vetula
English sole (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sole_(fish))

Theragra chalcogramma
Alaskan pollock (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pollock)

The additives used to inhibit the softening process are beef plasma (one of its uses is as an egg white substitute that can appear in snack foods)egg whites or whey protein. It was found that if the fish was processed immediately and or flash frozen, no additives were needed to prevent softening. According to NOAA, halibut and other ground fish are the bycatch of the Arrowtooth fishery that is developing and not the other way around but that isn't important. The post was to encourage people to try a fish I found to be delicious, that was inexpensive, that the purchase supported a commercial fishing industry that is an important co-constituency with sport anglers in protecting fisheries everywhere and by utilizing the fish would help bring a balance back into the groundfish stocks.
History is full of examples of various foods being shunned for odd reasons that are now considered delicacies. Lobsters were plowed into fields for fertilizer and by contract couldn't be fed to indentured servants more than 3 times a week, oysters were likened to something that fell out of an ox's nose and Arrowtooth Flounder's skin is called "slimey" by people who have no problem with salmon one of the slimiest fish in the sea.
Sorry for the weird indentations but I'm not good with this thing. I've got another package of AT left and I'll try to take pictures of what it looks like when I cook it and I'll post them in the future.

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hake)

CRABBY
02-06-2012, 06:12 PM
LOL,this thread is way to scientific,can't even pronounce the words or know what they mean :starrolling5ez:......Don

calamari
02-10-2012, 07:14 PM
LOL,this thread is way to scientific,can't even pronounce the words or know what they mean :starrolling5ez:......Don
First a little rant. I'm more than a little surprised that people who catch and keep fish don't like to eat fish. The same is true with waterfowl for some reason which are the best eating red meat in the world. I guess it's because some people just can't cook or else think that fine dinning involves a cup of black coffee and a Camel cigarette after an over cooked meal.
Since this is a cooking site, Don, let me boil it down for you. I mean no inappropriate disrespect.
1. The parasite that causes fish to be soft when cooked is a common one in very popular species like salmon and ling cod in addition to Arrowtooth Flounder.
2. The additives that some Arrowtooth fillets are soaked in are used to retain a glossy look to the processed product and retain fluid in the fillet which the public buys at several bucks a pound. It can't take a spoiled fish and make it fresh again. Using just water, at $2.99/lb. you are paying about $18/gallon for water. The new techniques developed for processing the fish make the soak less common and unnecessary.
3. You get what you pay for is sort of true if you're talking about hookers but it really doesn't have much to do with food. Using hard winter wheat as an example, it was recently half the current price yet it was the exact same product and inflation doesn't account for the increase. It's all about demand and supply. Currently the demand for Arrowtooth is low while supply is high resulting in low unit prices.
4. The large fillet that was the second package I cooked tonight, like most fish, had pin bones but were easy to remove. LOTS of fish have the same bones and have to be dealt with. The second package of Arrowtooth we had tonight was good but not as good as the first batch. The flavor was fine and it held together fine but the texture wasn't as firm as the first package. The fillet I used tonight was twice as big as the first package and the temp. outside was much colder. I cook it on the BBQ's burner to keep the hot grease and fish smell out of the house. The first batch I cooked at a higher temp and tonight's took longer which according to the literature increases the softening of the flesh.
I've got pictures of the whole meal from package to plate but couldn't get them onto this site using every option offered. Don, if you want to post them, I'll send them to you if you send me your email address because I think I can manage that.
Bottom line, buy the smallest fillets and cook them FAST. They are just fine for 1/2 the price of other fish.

CRABBY
02-10-2012, 08:16 PM
First a little rant. I'm more than a little surprised that people who catch and keep fish don't like to eat fish. The same is true with waterfowl for some reason which are the best eating red meat in the world. I guess it's because some people just can't cook or else think that fine dinning involves a cup of black coffee and a Camel cigarette after an over cooked meal.
Since this is a cooking site, Don, let me boil it down for you. I mean no inappropriate disrespect.
In defense of some of the non eaters many catch fish for the sport an give the fish they catch to friends that will enjoy them,as for waterfowl maybe the same thing.As for me add a couple tacos an a burritto to that coffee an smoke an I'm fine dinning:excited: not to mention I don't really cook much but I have a really good microwave.
An yes we are on a cooking board so give all the tips,info,advice ya want!!An no I'm not gonna go jump in a pot of boiling water!!HA!
Anyway good post an info as many here I'm sure will agree.....Don>>>>>>>>>>>PS I'm not a good pic guy give AnglingWes a PM he's up on the fancy pic stuff.

Axminster
02-11-2012, 02:56 AM
1. The parasite that causes fish to be soft when cooked is a common one in very popular species like salmon and ling cod in addition to Arrowtooth Flounder.
2. The additives that some Arrowtooth fillets are soaked in are used to retain a glossy look to the processed product and retain fluid in the fillet which the public buys at several bucks a pound. It can't take a spoiled fish and make it fresh again. Using just water, at $2.99/lb. you are paying about $18/gallon for water. The new techniques developed for processing the fish make the soak less common and unnecessary.
3. You get what you pay for is sort of true if you're talking about hookers but it really doesn't have much to do with food. Using hard winter wheat as an example, it was recently half the current price yet it was the exact same product and inflation doesn't account for the increase. It's all about demand and supply. Currently the demand for Arrowtooth is low while supply is high resulting in low unit prices.
4. The large fillet that was the second package I cooked tonight, like most fish, had pin bones but were easy to remove. LOTS of fish have the same bones and have to be dealt with. The second package of Arrowtooth we had tonight was good but not as good as the first batch. The flavor was fine and it held together fine but the texture wasn't as firm as the first package. The fillet I used tonight was twice as big as the first package and the temp. outside was much colder. I cook it on the BBQ's burner to keep the hot grease and fish smell out of the house. The first batch I cooked at a higher temp and tonight's took longer which according to the literature increases the softening of the flesh.
I've got pictures of the whole meal from package to plate but couldn't get them onto this site using every option offered. Don, if you want to post them, I'll send them to you if you send me your email address because I think I can manage that.
Bottom line, buy the smallest fillets and cook them FAST. They are just fine for 1/2 the price of other fish.

This is so long and boring I can't even read and comp. the whole thing. If u like it more power 2 u. But Ive never caught a ling or a salmon that turned to mush before my eyes.

BIG_ONE II
02-11-2012, 06:53 AM
I like to eating flonder. Taste good like the blogil

calamari
02-11-2012, 07:47 AM
http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/531/imgp1466e.jpg I hope the picture came through now. It didn't fall apart when cooked. It's hard to convey information that's short enough for people with ADHD. Some people just can't cook. Short enough?:smiley:

Axminster
02-11-2012, 11:26 PM
http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/531/imgp1466e.jpg I hope the picture came through now. It didn't fall apart when cooked. It's hard to convey information that's short enough for people with ADHD. Some people just can't cook. Short enough?:smiley:
Lets get this str8, you cook and eat a chemically treated fish and try to convince others to do the same? Food grade additaves? Like the ammoniated sludge in mcdonalds hamburgers? Maybe if you coat the arrowtooth fillets in ritalin you can comprehend my concerns. Something is very wrong if a commercial fisherman is forced to target a trash fish and treat it with chemicals to make it marketable.

FLA Sunshine Girl
03-09-2012, 01:47 PM
Last week I picked up a pac of frozen/Breaded Flounder Fillets at our local store. My husband and I have been trying to get more fish into our diet and at that time I knew very little about Flounder. We enjoyed the fish, yet both agreed we would like to try it baked and without the breading.

This week I found the shelves were re-stocked and the choices now included two types of Flounder BOTH offered by the SAME company, one- Alaskan Flounder Fillets/16 oz/$4.48, and the other- Arrowtooth Flounder Fillets/32 oz/ $6.34... I chose to buy both and compare. Often I will try a generic product and compare it to a higher priced product-if I find little difference I continue with the lower cost Item. If the diffrence is worth the higher price it wins out.

I defrosted and cooked the Arrowtooth Fillets, with olive oil, lemon, Garlic, and Black Pepper. We were both pleased and agreed we would buy it again. "I wonder how much better the other Flounder will be-for it to make that much diffrence in the price", I stated. While cleaning up the kitchen I read the two packages word for word. The Arrowtooth stated it was "Wild Caught" yet didn't say where it was caught ! It stated that it was a product of China. A product of China...? Then why was the description a rambling paragraph about ...In the U.S. the Summer Flounder, also called Plaice, and Deep-sea Flounder found in the Pacific Northwest"????....! Now I'm starting to wonder about the creditability of the product, so I went on to the Alaskan Fillets, and what that package (we haven't tried yet) had to say about what was in the bag.

Get this! Wild-caught in Alaska, portioned and packaged in China. On the back of the package is printed Distributed by; XXX Fisheries, Inc. Located in New England. These poor little fillets were caught in Alaska, took a tour across the Pacific to China, went for a short stop over in the North East, before making their way down to Southwest florida, and the Politicians thought they have a rough schedule.

We will eat the other Flounder, yet I would sure like to know about a company that I can trust to send my Alaskan Flounder straight to Florida without it leaving the country.

I believe in "BUY AMERICAN" as often as possible, and now I guess I have to add to that Processed and Packaged in America as well.

"Don't just scan the label in the store, read it in it's entirety!!

Kimmie, FLA Sunshine Girl

CRABBY
03-09-2012, 03:12 PM
Kimmie,Welcome to the FishSniffer,your the second Florida member in the last few weeks or so,I read your Bio,an it was the best one I've ever seen,You should put it on a post it's Great.
Hope we can live up to your expectations, all an all we have a good bunch here,a few bumps now an then but it wouldn't be a fishing site without em.
If you can throw some pics up of the country back there,we're pic hounds out here,Ha,Thanks for signing on an hope to hear more from you.....Don

FLA Sunshine Girl
03-09-2012, 03:48 PM
Thank You for your kind words, SMOGGUY!

The most that we can hope for in being a member of a site such as this, is that we can have a positive effect on those who read what we offer, and that along the way we will come across thoughts that others share that change us in some small way. My second husband-the yach broker moved to Southwwest Florida from San Fransico. He had owned a tallship during the 70's and had raced his 102ft Brigintine Scooner in the tallships race from Alaska, down the coast thru San Fran and on down to SanDiego. What an undertaking it was.

I met him as a broken man, divorced,unemployed, with the ship he treasured so dearly sunken of the Florida Coast. I learned about ships, 100 years old and direct from the factor-and even experienced the view from the top of a mast half way between Florida and mexico.

I learned to avoid lobster traps and Stone Crab traps offshore, and that Snook were easiest to catch off backwater docks on moonless nights with a glaring light mounted just below the dock. Fishing in Florida is very different from the West coast of out great country yet we have to remember that water you cast your pole into in Cali, will find it way to our shores here sooner or later.

I hope you all will teach me lots of terminology and techniques about fishing, since my husband of five years loves to go down to the local shore and cast out a line-and he knows I know very little about fishing!! And yes, he is husband # three!

Kimmie
FLA Sunshine Girl