PDA

View Full Version : Can a 17' Boat fish the bays?

Trout_Terminator
04-05-2007, 05:03 PM
OK, i have a 17' Gregor aluminum welded boat, with a 35 hp motor, and i was wondering if it big enough to fish the SF bay, San Pablo, est. Or is it to small, and should i just stick with the rivers and lakes?
Thanks for the help,

-TT

bluestar
04-05-2007, 05:06 PM
i fish the bay with a 12-ft aluminum boat.

Of course that's only because I'm poor, not because I'm brave.

Toxic_Waste
04-05-2007, 05:25 PM
I've not fished those bays (just Monterey Bay), but I would assume it all depends on the wind and swells. On a good day, I've gone out in a 16' boat with no problems. Gotta check those radio weather reports.

STURIPER
04-05-2007, 06:44 PM
OK, i have a 17' Gregor aluminum welded boat, with a 35 hp motor, and i was wondering if it big enough to fish the SF bay, San Pablo, est. Or is it to small, and should i just stick with the rivers and lakes?
Thanks for the help,

-TT

Yes Sir!! No problem..

krzyfshrmn
04-05-2007, 08:35 PM
You've just got to keep an eye on the afternoon winds that can kick up in a second.

MB_Kevin
04-05-2007, 08:43 PM
I remember seeing a post like this a while back about a 12' or 14' boat so you should be OK with the 17. Just have to pick a good day. Some days you wouldn't want to be out there in any boat IMO. They say the mornings are your best bet. ;)

Uncle_Sam
04-05-2007, 10:59 PM
I fish Bodega Bay in a 14 foot Klamath on a nice day. A guy in the Outdoor Pro Shop in Rohnert Park, who knew my GF's brother, told me to stay east of a line between Bodega Head and Tomales Point unless it is dead flat calm. On a dead flat calm day last June we tried for salmon a mile off Bodega Head. We didn't catch anything but two small rock fish on anchovy baited barbless circle hooks. We had to throw them back because it was two days before the rock fish season opened. But we got within 100 yeards of another boat while they were landing a salmon. That's pretty close.

keciga1
04-05-2007, 11:46 PM
It all depends on the wind, but most days you'll be ok in the morning. Just watch the forecast and you'll be fine. I took my 16ft all the time.

Ivan

okie
04-06-2007, 05:51 AM
definitely, it all depends on the winds. i used to take my 18' out of santa cruz and moss landing. i always saw people out there around soquel hole in the small 12' rentals from sc. even saw 1 guy in a kyak out of ml salmon fishing, i think he had a hook up because he was moving pretty fast and just holding a rod, didn't see any sort of motoer.
okie

cuhogn
04-06-2007, 07:13 AM
As we enter into to summer pattern for SF Bay there are a few things to keep in mind that will help with keeping the wind issue that everybody has mentioned at a minimum. As the valley heats up it creates the vacuum that causes the wind and also brings the fog. Multiple days of warm weather and the winds will steadily increase each day in speed and how long it blows, until the valley cools off and the process starts again. The early am is the best time to be there to minimize the wind effect. Now you need to look at the tides, out going tide and an incoming wind will put the bay at it's worst, so look for high tides in the am and the water will be the flattest. Next Sat the high is at 9:43am at the gate so at Berkeley it will be about an hour later, this would be the best tide of the day for fishing as the least amount of water is moving in that days tide cycle, you will also see that this am pattern will repeat every 2 weeks and would keep the wind issue down. A lot of wind and water moving muddies up the bay and makes the fishing more difficult so most target a high that has a little more than 3' of water moving and consider this to be the prime tide If you target just these tides you could end up fishing in the afternoon when the wind is at it's worst.

kromebrite
04-06-2007, 08:17 AM
* *You've just got to keep an eye on the afternoon winds that can kick up in a second.
That's the key. ;)
I would absolutely go out in a 17'. I would go out in a 14'.
The caveat is that when thsoe winds kick up I would go in where the bigger boats could stay out.

C0BRA
04-06-2007, 03:41 PM
Yep! I go out all the time in my 15'. I'm usually on the water by 0500 and off by 1200 to avoid the winds. :)

EastBayAngler
04-06-2007, 04:21 PM
i fish the bay with a 12-ft aluminum boat.

Of course that's only because I'm poor, not because I'm brave.

H@ll ya... po boyz on the bay....Who says you have to have an 80K boat to killem on the bay...Just some cheap beer. And a sense of humor!-EBA

ZACK
04-06-2007, 05:00 PM
I fish the entire day in all conditions on the central bay in my 16 foot tri hull.
However, it is good to error on the side of caution if you are new to salt water. In a perfect world get out with an experienced angler with a boat relative to yours and learn. In an un perfect world you can learn by doing and fish the early hours till 12, or 1pm and then ride the waves back to Berkeley and slowly get a feel for your boat under those conditions. The bay ain't nada, but where you can loose your A$$ in rough seas is when you loose power and cannot get your bow on the water properly which will quickly put you on the mercy of the sea and of course we all know mother nature has absolutely NO compassion. ZACK!

Martinez Frank
04-06-2007, 06:31 PM
Very well said Zack the wind can be very dangerous I will be taking my 19 ft bayliner in the bay for the fest