PDA

View Full Version : PW Micetails - Lake Chabot Trout Ask for it by name - Weds 02-02-2012

TroutGhost
02-02-2012, 01:14 AM
The trolling was off. Shore fishing looked better, saw a few bent rods on the banks. Spoke to a couple boaters on the way out- one angler limited out on PowerWorms and his buddy skunked trolling hardbaits.

Don't know why the marina workers keep recommending mira shad and rapalas. They are not working right now and haven't for awhile now. What's working best for me and (from what I can see) for others are PowerWorms, Micetails, and trout dough. The only action I got today was on micetail out in Half Moon Bay. Racoon point side of the lake looked like the place to be though. Trout were keeping a low profile, no jumpers and the water looked moderately stained.

sja
02-02-2012, 03:01 PM
Your correct.....:exactly2pn:

Just like the bogus reports that Chabot puts on their fishing reports. *This has to be the slowest start to a trout season at Chabot in years..... but the reports continue to glorify "great fishing".:beatdeadhorse5:

ckennedy
02-02-2012, 03:10 PM
Lake Chabot hasn't been good in the last 2 years. It was awesome about 3 years ago but the past 2 have been slow. Alot of people have told me the same thing. I do hate like the others when they say it's great and you go there and no one is catching anything.

TroutGhost
02-02-2012, 03:23 PM
I get their fishing reports by email. They say that the trolling is slowly picking up but that's simply not true. I don't understand why their newsletter continues to advise to troll deeper and recommend various hardbait because, aside from a rare random bite, hardbaits simply aren't working. The workers at the marina and the ones responsible for the newsletter should know that hardbaits aren't working so why keep recommending them, are they lying or simply don't care?

One of the guys at the marina stated that you have troll the lure 10 to 15 feet behind the boat and work it up and down. I couldn't believe my ears so I asked him to clarify. He confirmed ten to fifteen feet behind the boat. As I was walking to the parking lot I started talking to the other angler who was also talking to the marina worker and he agreed that that was the most ridiculous advice he'd ever heard.

The fishing was fine last winter. I limited out or came close to limiting many times. I agree with you sja, this is the slowest start to the fishing season if you're out on the boat. Right now the best fishing is from the shore. If you rent a boat remember to bring the PW. ;)

sja
02-02-2012, 03:24 PM
Last year was a good year for me and buddy "The Incredible Mr. Limpet".:angling:

I agree that it is a little "strange" when you read the report then talk to people who have a totally different opinion. *I also understand that it's a business and they want people to come out....... just being a little more truthful wouldn't ruffle as many feathers!

ryanerb
02-03-2012, 11:05 AM
I also understand that it's a business and they want people to come out....... just being a little more truthful wouldn't ruffle as many feathers!

right there is the exact problem.
we need fishing reports from someone who is not a 'business' in it to make money, hence why we have these forums.
yes, the newspaper reports are super convenient and easy to read, but the real action is on here...

now you could wonder if the people on here are stellar fisherman, and then they are having bad results because they were fishing powerbait with a leader of 20lb test line (the trout aint gonna bite on that line!), but i think most people on here catch more fish than me :)

Nick145
02-09-2012, 07:54 PM
how is the fishing near the first d​ock

Paul_707
02-10-2012, 02:29 AM
I doubt ill ever fish lake chabot again.. i just hate that place and everything about it... but well yea the bone heads that run the place dump some nice ones in there... yep powerbait/eggs/worms your best bets:teaseku9:..

Marv
02-10-2012, 08:35 AM
Here's my take on reports from most lake that publish a report. First and foremost they are trying to get people through the gate. Most lake employees don't fish, so there recycling info the have heard from other anglers. Lakes very rarely say they have crap fishing across the board. If something isn't biting the hype up another type of fish in the lake.

My local lake tells me almost every time i go there that bass are biting on night crawlers under a bobber. Last july we went to the lake and they tried to tell me that someone just caught a 5lb. Rainbow off the boat dock, lol.

sja
02-10-2012, 08:50 AM
I doubt ill ever fish lake chabot again.. i just hate that place and everything about it... but well yea the bone heads that run the place dump some nice ones in there... yep powerbait/eggs/worms your best bets:teaseku9:..

Just curious..... what made your experience so negative?

Paul_707
02-10-2012, 12:13 PM
The people Ive ran into that work at that place are just annoying poo poo heads.. I dont like the crowds there.. they have a nice launch ramp, but they make you carry your boat 100 yards so they can rent out more of their boats.. They run it like a business, its all about money for them and tricking us fishermen:kermit:

TroutGhost
02-10-2012, 01:15 PM
they make you carry your boat 100 yards

I can understand how that is an inconvenience and I agree with you on that. However, Lake Chabot, unlike some other lakes, is a family park. There are children running in every direction. If what you say is true, that you can't drive a boat trailer down to the launch (and I don't see how) I'm certain it must be a safety issue. My child plays there and I would not want to have boat trailers roaring down what is esentially a narrow pedestrian path.

As for the people who work at the concession, they're generally nice, friendly and helpful. In fact, the chabot concession workers sometimes go beyond what they are required to do in order to accomodate me. I have caught them on a bad day when they were short staffed and hurried. But we all have bad days, we're all human. The lake chabot marina workers in general are good folks that provide exceptional service.

Nick145
02-10-2012, 05:59 PM
Just my two cents.

First off, it is against park regulations to launch anything besides canoes, kayaks, and double or tripple wall blow up boats. Its one of the two im not sure which. I almost forgot you cant have any gas engens either since it is a emergency water supply for the east bay. So even if you could get a trailer down there you wouldnt be allowed to.

I love lake chabot. I live just up the street and find it to be a wonderful place to fish and to hang out. The food at the cafe is wonderful and service is generaly pretty good. They are a bit more truthful with the regulars than they are with people they dont reconize.

Like said before it is a business therefore it is run like a business.

Tight Lines
Nick145

sja
02-10-2012, 10:01 PM
Just my two cents.

First off, it is against park regulations to launch anything besides canoes, kayaks, and double or tripple wall blow up boats. Its one of the two im not sure which. I almost forgot you cant have any gas engens either since it is a emergency water supply for the east bay. So even if you could get a trailer down there you wouldnt be allowed to.

I love lake chabot. I live just up the street and find it to be a wonderful place to fish and to hang out. The food at the cafe is wonderful and service is generaly pretty good. They are a bit more truthful with the regulars than they are with people they dont reconize.

Like said before it is a business therefore it is run like a business.

Tight Lines
Nick145

Couldn't agree more Nick145...... Have been fishing Chabot close to 35 years! *For an urban lake you can't ask for much more. *Sure, at times it gets busy...... crowds usually focus more on the CV side of the lake. *If you want to get away from the crowd all it takes is a little effort. *You have to pay your dues and "learn the lake"...... which I think is half the fun! *The fishing reports can be taken with a grain of salt....... the regulars really don't rely on those anyway. *It would be nice for a more comprehensive report.... but after all these years...... always have to find out for myself!

Butcha
02-11-2012, 01:31 AM
I fished lake Chabot for the first time about 3 weeks ago and we killed it.. Got six trout the biggest around 7lbs and a LMB on the pe/pw combo,couldn't beleive a bass bit on that!!! Fished it again on Monday 2/6, this time from my float tube. Tried everything, kast masters, crappie jigs, drop shotting, krank baits, etc. nothing was working so we tried fishing from shore. Within 10 minutes I caught a 1.5lb trout on the pe/pw combo. That was it all day. I will say that I was annoyed by having to carry my float tube all the way to the bait shop to get it inspected, but I have to carry it anyway so no big deal. Everywhere else I fish has a spot to drive up to for the inspection, like at Del Valle, that way if you fail you don't even have to leave the truck!! That said I still like the spot and plan on going back no matter what the report says. I'll tell you what though, I always read the quarry lakes report and have fished there at least 30 times only to catch one trout!! Whats up with that??

ckennedy
02-11-2012, 03:35 PM
I speak for alot of people that I talk to about being tired of great reports and you go there and no one is catching anything. It happened for me yesterday at Del Valle. I understand about people being nice and friendly. That's fine but when you are waking up at 415 or 430 driving 45 minutes to an hour or longer and paying all the fees you want honesty. I was told it was awesome down by the lower narrows by hetch hetchy or the east beach. Got there around 630 in the morning and fished until 11:00 with only one huge pull down on my rod about 830 which by the way the fish broke my line. I left by 11:00 and on my way out walked down to the east beach and all 6 guys said they hadn't even got a bite. Now that's ridiculous to give a great report and then you go there and there is nothing. I understand they want the business but come on. I always do really well at Del Valle but I could have gone somewhere else that day if they would just say it is slow. Also they need people working at these places that know about fishing. Some places you call and they don't know if it's been stocked or what's going on. One guy told me on the phone. "Oh, I don't fish I don't know the report. All you can do is go and try." People need to give good reports so fisherman can decide where they want to go that day or that weekend. Ok enough complaining from me but again alot of people feel the same way.

Nick145
02-11-2012, 05:09 PM
Like i said before it is a business first and a fishing place second.

RideNfish
02-11-2012, 07:00 PM
You just hope you get a place that is a good balance of "fish place" and business.

They SHOULD be a business first. Otherwise there would be no place to go. Any biz better have their financial goals set first then work in the fun and passion. It is or would be a bummer to be out and out lied to saying fish are being caught when they aren't but someone always catches something.

Us here on the forum are for the most part not here on business so we get better and more accurate reports for individuals here. But if 100 people are at a location we can only hope a few might be registered here on the sniffer and maybe only 2% will post. That is the shame right there. Little help from our own community. We would have less false hopes if all here participated and told us of successes as well as failures.

Type up fellow sniffers! That's what we are here for :0)

:cheers:

Nick145
02-11-2012, 07:05 PM
You just hope you get a place that is a good balance of "fish place" and business.

They SHOULD be a business first. Otherwise there would be no place to go. Any biz better have their financial goals set first then work in the fun and passion. It is or would be a bummer to be out and out lied to saying fish are being caught when they aren't but someone always catches something.

Us here on the forum are for the most part not here on business so we get better and more accurate reports for individuals here. But if 100 people are at a location we can only hope a few might be registered here on the sniffer and maybe only 2% will post. That is the shame right there. Little help from our own community. We would have less false hopes if all here participated and told us of successes as well as failures.

Type up fellow sniffers! That's what we are here for :0)

:cheers:

Amen to That!

Tight Lines,
Nick145