PDA

View Full Version : Skunked in Bodega

Sacfisher
04-04-2007, 05:13 PM
Went fishin' from shore this weekend and not a d**n thing. We did get some Rock crab in the nets though and 1 dungeness. Tried fushing the surf along the bay but am not used to that kind of fishing or something cuz' i couldn't feel a bite even if I were getting one. Did see some grey whales out there though. I counted 5, 2 doubles and 1 single. Two of them were not more than 100 yards off of the beach, up and down the beach and around the jetti. Don't know if they would affect the surf perch fishing or not but maybe? Well there is my report. Don't read to much into it though cuz' I am just a novice saltwater fisherman.

tarbuckle
04-04-2007, 05:34 PM
Just like most things, there's a definate learning curve. Seeing the whales must have been cool. I've only seen the grays once and it was quite a sight.

dark_knight
04-04-2007, 07:45 PM
Doran is a fickle place to fish. Sometimes Ive seen people go out of thier limited and other times i ve seen people get skunked. We prolly should have told you to try poke pollin if you werent getting lucky. I ve seen a lot of people catch a few rock cod and other spieces. Hopefully youll do better next time your out their.

catfished
04-04-2007, 08:09 PM
I don't consider myself a novice but I have never caught any kind of fish at Bodega and I've never seen anyone else catch any either. I've fished Doran Beach, Doran Jetty, Tides Wharf and a couple of other spots in the bay for not even a bite. I have used shrimp, anchovies and squid as well as perch grubs to no avail. I'm not saying that no one catches fish there but it sure isn't a consistent producer.

Uncle_Sam
04-04-2007, 11:04 PM
I live in Sonoma County. I have been going out to Doran Beach the jetties and the harbor. I have never seen anyone catch any fin fish from Doran or the jetties. However, I have seen a guy catch a couple of greenlings inside the harbor near the Coast Guard station. In 2000 I caught a 27 inch halibut a quarter mile outside the harbor after about 15 minutes. I have never had so much as a nibble since.

Sacfisher
04-05-2007, 08:19 AM
Seeing the whales did make the whole trip worth it. We caught about 40 to 50 rock crab (keepable) so that helped as well. The past few years I have gone, I have caught a few bat rays and some jack smelt. Also I caught one (I think it was called) a thornback ray. But it has never been so dead as this. Oh well. It was a good trip.

red_dog
04-05-2007, 08:24 AM
I have fished the jetty about 15 times normally I donít catch anything but I have caught an undersized ling, leopard also undersized, and several stingrays. I have seen fish caught by others. Your best bet on the jetty is to fish in the rocks where there is more fish. All the fish I caught were caught on the end of the ocean side/horn side if you can get use to the horn itís an ok spot. And even if you donít catch anything the walk out there and back is good exercise. You should always wear a backpack and have both hands free when jumping from rock to rock this way if you fall you can protect your head.

fishhogg
04-05-2007, 09:19 AM
fished the tide yestrday at doran, 3 hrs fishing had 1 undersize leapord, 1 16 inch stripper, 15-18 barred an shinner perch, all 10 inches or smaller, then moved inside the bay an caught abuot 40 stripped and pile perch, 2 lbs, but thats not really fishing, anyways dorans usually always god for something, just gotta know how and where..... Just like any other fishing... Its not always a cake walk, thats why they call it fishing and not catching right?

sunracer1957
04-05-2007, 09:24 AM
fishogg

Hit the head of the nail !! notice the time he was fishing?? ( fished the tide ) try it you may get better results ;)

catfished
04-05-2007, 02:07 PM
fishogg

Hit the head of the nail !! notice the time he was fishing?? ( fished the tide ) try it you may get better results ;)
I have fished every tide situation but there just is never any action there. I have been fishing for over 55 years now so I think I have a vague idea as to how it's done. I have done well at every other area of the coast I have fished but not Bodega-NoKetchum Bay >:(.

fishhogg
04-05-2007, 03:35 PM
dont know what to telll ya, sand crabs, ghost shrimp, even bay shrimp from the store works, it has its slow times just like every other beach, but Doran is probably the most consistant beach from tomales north, rarly ever any size but when the winds are blowin and the surf is high, Dorans the spot, never been skunked there!!!!
let me know the next time you go there, ill locate the fish, all u gotta do is go to the spot ;D

tarbuckle
04-05-2007, 04:31 PM
I've fished the Jetties here in Eureka off and on for 13 years. Only twice can I think of when I did any good. Snags up the yang and rarely caught anything. Any way, my buds have been nailing them out there the last couple of weeks, so I tagged along the other day. While I got SKUNKED they did pretty well catching several rock fish and two lings.. What did I learn? My approach, equipment and choice of bait were wrong. Sooo.... watch out fellas, because a new jetty king is moving in ;D

Toxic_Waste
04-05-2007, 05:58 PM
This is going back to the comment about whether or not the presence of gray whales close to shore could affect surf fishing. The grays are baleen whales, and do a lot of sifting through the bottom rubble. Maybe when they stir things up it actually helps the fish get some dinner. (?) That's a good question.

I have seen them very close to shore, too, in Monterey. Also saw some orcas "surfing" in the breakers at Marina Beach. Heh -- they were headed straight for all the surfers. Have they ever bothered surfers that anyone knows of? There are some surfers on this forum that might have a story or two.

fishing brian
04-05-2007, 07:31 PM
Bodega is my favorite bank fishing spot. I love fishing from shore there. Thats about the only place ill go without the boat anymore. The difference is I fish for rock cod and Greenling north of town on the coast from the rocks. Its great when the waves arent to huge. High tide or incoming tide with strips of squid. Ive had one day where I caught an RCG limit. Ive also pulled a couple 5lb. cabs from that area.

I have fished Doran for nada a couple times. Ive never seen anybody catch a fish there. very slow place to fish.-LUNKER-

Rock_Hopper
04-06-2007, 06:55 AM
I'm torn between letting people know they're just fishing the jetty wrong and there's tons of fish there or just letting people believe it's a waste of time to fish there....

gutslinger
04-06-2007, 10:04 AM
Rock-hopper, ;D

I've dove the jetties many times, there is no reason to cast any farther than 10' out, unless your fishin for flatties, since its all sand out about 10'.I would try poke-polin' at your feet, there in the rocky caves at your feet.I've seen many fish schooling there as well(perch) they come in and out on the tide shifts.Any hole big enough to fit your fist into is worthy of targeting w'poke-pole. 8-)

my 2cents.......gut.

rockbass
04-06-2007, 02:59 PM
The Rock Hopper is a legend on that jetty. *8-)